Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The sporting breeds

9 years ago, our son was diagnosed with incurable brain cancer. Ethan was 8 years old and was given 12-14 months to live. The doctors told us to give him the best life you can.
    During radiation treatments, a dog named Peetey came in to visit with Ethan, he was a therapy dog and brightened Ethan's day every time he came to visit.
    At the time, Ethan wanted a puppy even though we had 2 dogs already (both English Pointers). My wife picked out a small sized Boston Terrier which quickly became Ethan's best friend during the last months of his life. They were inseparable.
    When Ethan passed away, we promised ourselves that the next dog we got, we'd train it to be a therapy dog and bring it to the children's hospital to brighten the lives of sick kids.
    Last April, we got an 8 week old English Cream Golden Retriever. She's a great dog and super smart. We decided that after basic obedience, we'd continue training her and eventually, get her therapy dog certified. Today, she gets her certification and will begin brightening other people's days.

Ethan with Oreo, our English Pointer

Ethan with Izzie, our Boston Terrier

Ethan with Peetey, the therapy dog

Our new therapy dog, Ellie
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Bravo. Sorry for your loss. I know the pain of losing a child at a very young age also. Ethan lives on in your compassion that will be exhibited to others through your therapy dog ministry!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    There is a 25 million dollar study going on in Colorado to try to find out why Golden Retrievers lifespan has been in steep decline.
    Gary
    That would be the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study conducted by the Morris Animal Foundation. As a retired epidemiologist I know a robust study when I see one, so I'm an active supporter of that program. There's some excellent work coming out of it, and curiously, some of it is helping with our understanding of human cancers. Tulliver and I visited their facility in Denver a couple years ago on our way to the SLC rally and found ourselves surrounded by extremely passionate scientists asking the right sort of questions. I left feeling very good about that team. Tulliver liked them as well.

TullyMAF.jpg

BTW, Goldens were chosen because it's a popular breed with dedicated breeders who keep track of their lineage, important when examining hereditary factors, but the results will help all breeds.

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

We actually picked the Golden retriever and specifically the English Cream for the longer life and less prone to cancer traits they have.
    Other than all the shedding that goes on, I couldn't be happier with Ellie so far.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Got her to almost 13....meds and help walking. Pretty good for a hundred pounder.

From the pet pictures thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I wuz doing a test post over in Forum Help, thought I'd bring Maggie over here.

"Canineus Knuckleheadus"

OM
    I will be looking for the dog that finds me........in a while. I like Labs, perhaps something smaller so the dog can carried/assisted when needed.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    9 years ago, our son was diagnosed with incurable brain cancer. Ethan was 8 years old and was given 12-14 months to live. The doctors told us to give him the best life you can.
    During radiation treatments, a dog named Peetey came in to visit with Ethan, he was a therapy dog and brightened Ethan's day every time he came to visit.
    At the time, Ethan wanted a puppy even though we had 2 dogs already (both English Pointers). My wife picked out a small sized Boston Terrier which quickly became Ethan's best friend during the last months of his life. They were inseparable.
    When Ethan passed away, we promised ourselves that the next dog we got, we'd train it to be a therapy dog and bring it to the children's hospital to brighten the lives of sick kids.
    Last April, we got an 8 week old English Cream Golden Retriever. She's a great dog and super smart. We decided that after basic obedience, we'd continue training her and eventually, get her therapy dog certified. Today, she gets her certification and will begin brightening other people's days.

Ethan with Oreo, our English Pointer

Ethan with Izzie, our Boston Terrier

Ethan with Peetey, the therapy dog

Our new therapy dog, Ellie
    So sorry for your loss as well. I've no doubt Peetey provided a great deal of comfort to Ethan during his battle with cancer.

We are also training our English Creme Golden Retriever to be a therapy dog. My wife is working with Pet Partners in Bend, OR and based on the progress Fynlee is making in the training, she should be ready for certification in early July.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031