Thread: The sporting breeds

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Smile The sporting breeds

While I donít do much hunting or fishing, I like having a dog with me when Iím in The Great Outdoors
    Iíve had a preference for Black (mostly) Labrador Retrievers.
    My current dog is a big Ďole mostly lab that has just had her 12th birthday. A regiment of pills is keeping her happy and reasonably mobile.
    Which of the sporting breeds are you running? What are the pros and cons of the breed? Anyone tried pet insurance- and are you happy with this new form of pet service?
    OM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Nice looking pup.
    Weíve had mostly smallish dogs the last several years, although the Cockapoo sure shows plenty of gamer in him. Iíve never had a trained working dog, but love hunting with them and watching them work. Iíll get so caught up watching good bird dogs do their thing that Iíll forget I have a job to do also.

I havenít seen enough of the breeds to comment much, but after seeing Chesapeake Bay Retreivers owned by two different people, they seem to be...letís say, strong willed.

Thanks
    I support Ducks Unlimited mainly for the wonderful dog stories. The latest issue of the magazine (September/October) has a great display of ďWater Dogs At WorkĒ. Watching dogs in action is great- even if itís just a tennis ball. They see it and home in on it and that is it.
    When they are done itís a bowl of water and a nap- perfect!
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

OM - One of a neighbor's dogs has cancer, and his insurance is paying 85% of the bills (dunno about the deductible). They're happy about that part and are glad they bought it.

Several other neighbors have fairly large protectors too -
    There's a Bull Mastiff owned by the very epitome of the expression "little old lady", and he's a lover (and a drooler) once he knows you.
    Several neighbors have Huskys, Pit mixes, Golden labs, Dobies, Bullogs, Boxers, and a Rottie/Shepherd. They all know that if they walk by my garage when I'm out there, they're gonna get some lovin'!
    Used to have neighbors who were in their mid-twenties and already had 3 little kids - any of them could ride on either of their two Pits! The dogs knew who belonged there and who didn't, and were wonderful animals.
    I miss my last one - daddy was a Dobie who hopped the fence, and mom (who belonged to a house mate) was half Shepherd and half Huskie. He was actually the runt of the litter - but when I picked him, it was because he was "awake" and the most observant of the bunch, he perceived everything around him. Great choice, never regretted it.
    Last weekend, I was almost home from a ride, and just a few blocks from home I spotted a young Pit all alone and just looking so lost... If I wasn't on the bike with traffic around me, I would have grabbed him.

And now that the local Sam Ash music store has moved into the same little strip mall as the South Bay Dog Rehab Center, it may take me a little more time to get out of there...
    sign.JPG
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 09-08-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added last paragraph & foto

Paul, Iíve had most of those dogs and all good pets. The dog in the picture was the runt of the litter

The cancer in dogs seems to be a growing problem. My dogs sister, from a previous litter, came down with bone cancer in a front leg. After a lot of treatment, time and money, they thought they had it beat......they did for a while. Once the cancer returned, it required a full leg amputation......tough on a 100lb dog.
    There is a 25 million dollar study going on in Colorado to try to find out why Golden Retrievers lifespan has been in steep decline.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I looked around a little and found a website with some information about the lifespans of dogs. As usual, there are advertisements for products, but it's possible to cut through the dross to see some real numbers.

See it here: https://www.petcarerx.com/article/li...-by-breed/1223
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Have had multiple mutlies in the years and now have a tiny lapdog chewiney goofball house jester for a dog.

Would love to have another med large breed but have other comitments.

Wishbone (the house jester) is a solid hard core 4x4 dog who LOVES ruuuuuffff terrain..

(Pun intended)

Out door dog definatly but no t a hunter. Hes a lover

In every way!

House Jester. I like that. Good term for our kidís Pomeranian mix. We canít decide if heís a genius or an idiot, but heís fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Paul, Iíve had most of those dogs and all good pets. The dog in the picture was the runt of the litter

The cancer in dogs seems to be a growing problem. My dogs sister, from a previous litter, came down with bone cancer in a front leg. After a lot of treatment, time and money, they thought they had it beat......they did for a while. Once the cancer returned, it required a full leg amputation......tough on a 100lb dog.
    There is a 25 million dollar study going on in Colorado to try to find out why Golden Retrievers lifespan has been in steep decline.
    Gary
    Reputable breeders will say the incredible overbreeding by backyard breeders has had a pretty dramatic effect on the health of Golden Retrievers. We love the breed and just picked up our newest puppy, Fynlee. We decided this time to go with the English Creme Golden Retriever, which, we're told, have a better history of health. Remains to be seen, but we're sure in love!Fynlee.jpg
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Reputable breeders will say the incredible overbreeding by backyard breeders has had a pretty dramatic effect on the health of Golden Retrievers. We love the breed and just picked up our newest puppy, Fynlee. We decided this time to go with the English Creme Golden Retriever, which, we're told, have a better history of health. Remains to be seen, but we're sure in love!Fynlee.jpg
    Really good description of these wonderful Poopies. Have had 2 of them and their friendly happy ways are just so wonderful. Find a breeder of whatever it is you decide id you want one of the "BREEDS"...ÖÖÖÖ.For us, the Border Collie and Aussie have been great dependable and loyal. My fella is almost neurotic with his loyalty and need to be MY caretaker. The pasture dogs are known as livestock guard dogs and of those, I am happiest with the Anatolian. The Pyrenees will pout on you for a couple of days every time you correct them, so it's best to let them hang out down there with the trees and let them do their job. Our BEST dog is the Anatolian that decided he wants to be a house dog. His daughter is also a Brindle/gray like him and is the same way. The "normal" tan/brown is happiest just hanging out with the critters/goats.

A sporting dog? Well he likes to chase the squirrels...ÖÖ.
    Attached Images Attached Images