• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet ANOTHER tire story to pucker your seat....

soocom1

OK, for those who have not read my posts on my K75, I purchased this beast as a Craigslist special and have been slowly bringing her back from the dead.

I have had the bike titled and running for the past month, and have probably logged around 1K miles so far.

So I knew given the tiny history of the bike I did learn, it was time to replace the tires.

Today is Sept. the 6th 2018.

Does anyone see a problem here?

date.jpg

There are cracks on the surface of the tire

cracks.jpg

and when I pulled it off the rim, thick heavy and sticky black peeling rubber like residue on the bead seat of the rim.

The rim had already been cleaned with a washcloth with more to go.

rim.jpg

me thinks there was a reason WHY God told me to ride home today and start the tires.

The real question should be.....Do YOU see a problem here??? Good on you for asking.

Friedle

Is that an old Touring Elite ll?
On the front of a K75 or R80 they could last nearly 20k.
Also had them on a K1100lt and they really tightened up the handling.

So I finally got the front tire on.
Had to use the starter fluid method to seat the bead and wasn't happy about that.
But it worked.

Now the rear. But, looking at the drum, it defiantly needs replacement. But not sure how to proceed on that.

The rear was a newer tire though. It was only produced in 2009. Oh and the actual date stamp says 409. No 0409.

I read it as 4th week of 99, then read your post, good heads up on the change

thanks

Pretty sure it was a two digit week, and a one digit year on the earlier rubber. Another reason they went to the 4 digit date code because the decade was not obvious. So it could be any decade ending with a 9. '59....'69...'79 and so on.

Pretty sure it was a two digit week, and a one digit year on the earlier rubber. Another reason they went to the 4 digit date code because the decade was not obvious. So it could be any decade ending with a 9. '59....'69...'79 and so on.

Indeed - 49th week; 1999 or 1989

Back