• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 Wethead 1254cc Engine

Looks like they did away from integrated Nav display and you can only get it on the 719 edition with leather seat.

Thats stupid.

BMW claims 538 pounds wet for the 1200GS.

538 lbs for the 2017/18 models. They added 13 lbs to the previous wethead but I never found a explanation exactly where the weight came from. Maybe they made it up so no one would be alarmed at a 24 lb bump instead of 13 then 11 more later :lol

In the past when BMW increased the engine size they also made changes to the style of the bike.
On the GS and RT unless you get a good look at the valve cover or exhaust headers it's going to be hard to tell a 2018 from a 2019.
I'm guessing the same will be true for the 2019 GSA, RS and R.

In the past when BMW increased the engine size they also made changes to the style of the bike.
On the GS and RT unless you get a good look at the valve cover or exhaust headers it's going to be hard to tell a 2018 from a 2019.
I'm guessing the same will be true for the 2019 GSA, RS and R.

Lee - the presenter mentioned this yesterday in the FB video, but the 2019 RT will have a small fairing/spoiler added at the lowest point of the front face of the engine. I found a photo of one in red, but in yesterday's video, it was black. See it here:

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 7.14.06 PM.jpg

Lee - the presenter mentioned this yesterday in the FB video, but the 2019 RT will have a small fairing/spoiler added at the lowest point of the front face of the engine. I found a photo of one in red, but in yesterday's video, it was black. See it here:

View attachment 70514

Wondering if that means the RT will not need a fender extender to help keep the grime off the engine front?

Interesting.

Looks like they did away from integrated Nav display and you can only get it on the 719 edition with leather seat.

Thats stupid.

There has always been an RTW non-GPS prep version available with a different dash panel, if you wanted to special order the bike, knowing you would never purchase the NAV. You would never see one on a dealer's floor, because it would be stupid for them to eliminate the possibility of more profit on a NAV. For 2018, the GPS dash mount was part of the optional "Standard Package" with cruise control and power outlet for $600 over the base price. I'm sure similar packages will be established for all the 2019 RTs.

Wondering if that means the RT will not need a fender extender to help keep the grime off the engine front?

Interesting.

That would make too much sense. Looks like it might change air flow to the header, so more or less pipe discoloration?
SPoiler.jpg

My 2009 GS was 505 lbs. I loved the light weight. Driveway and gas pump friendly. My 2016 GS gained 20 lbs to 525 wet. I wasn't crazy about the weight gain but seemed like a fair trade off to get cruise control and a nice bump in horsepower & torque. Now the 1250 GS comes in at 549 lbs.! A gain of 24 more lbs. I suddenly became a LOT less interested. I already have way more power than I need. For some reason the 2018 gained 13 lbs. since 2016. At any rate they have become too heavy in my opinion. Progress marches on :). 'Leadhead' anyone?

This R1200 to R1250 (VTEC) model change reminds me of the R1100 to R1150 6-speed) model change. Essentially the same bikes, and almost the same drivetrains just an incremental update or improvement along with a little extra weight. The big change was from R1150 to R1200 where there was a different frame, different engine, more power, and 50+ pounds were dropped. I'm hoping for BMW in the next complete GS update to fully utilize VVT (as opposed to shift cam) to keep about the same power with a smaller maybe 1000cc engine, all at under 500 pounds.

There has always been an RTW non-GPS prep version available with a different dash panel, if you wanted to special order the bike, knowing you would never purchase the NAV. You would never see one on a dealer's floor, because it would be stupid for them to eliminate the possibility of more profit on a NAV. For 2018, the GPS dash mount was part of the optional "Standard Package" with cruise control and power outlet for $600 over the base price. I'm sure similar packages will be established for all the 2019 RTs.

As I did more reading up it seems that the upper dash above instrument cluster can be replaced with a Nav integrated dash, easy upgrade.

FWIW, Honda offered a similar 2-stage system (VTEC) on the VFR series in the ‘90’s but it was dropped from the bikes some years ago. Some riders at the time didn’t like the system switching during aggressive cornering. I think it’s still used in some Honda cars, though.
That was over 20 years ago. The MCN test ride of the R1250 states that the transition was imperceptible, so it appears they got it right.

Given how BMW implemented the VANOS on their cars and all the problems that came along, I say wait at least a couple years till all the bugs are ironed out.
Again, we're talking about issues that were fixed two decades ago, not recent ones. That doesn't mean that there can't be issues with this new system, but lets be realistic. When was the last time you heard of any body of issues with BMW fuel injection. When the shift was made from carbs to FI there was a hue and cry that you couldn't work on the FI on the side of the road, in your home garage, etc. Well, just like with points, condensers, etc., we don't here about these things being an issue for virtually anyone. While the old systems (carbs, points, etc.) did require road-side fixes once and a while, the newer fuel injection, electronic ignition, etc., have brought a myriad of improvements with virtually no downside.

Don't forget the bump in displacement meaning heavier pistons, cylinders, crank, etc.
We should not assume this. There is nothing that requires it. In fact, if they use the same cylinder barrels they will be lighter because the bore is slightly larger. THis used to be the case with H-D 883 vs 1200 Sportsters and other engines.

That would make too much sense. Looks like it might change air flow to the header, so more or less pipe discoloration?
The discolouration is less from the heat of the engine and surrounding areas than from the exhaust gas heat which doesn't care if the exhaust is completely unshielded. My 1970 Norton 750 Commando had a momentary carb problem that sent it into a short-term lean condition that really blued the pipes and they are completely out in the airstream.
005.jpg

The culprit is most often a lean mixture condition which generates lots of heat. With the VVT and the new swirl patterns there might be a more precise fuel mixture that will reduce the lean condition under low load, but I suspect not as that would slightly increase emmisions and fuel consumption, both of which manufacturers are loath to do.

Single vs Double

Looks like the Shift-Cam only applies to the intake valves at this point. That means the double Shift-Cam will be coming soon or the near future (i.e., Mk.II).

150 HP with shift-cam system on both the intake and exhaust valves?

Looks like the Shift-Cam only applies to the intake valves at this point. That means the double Shift-Cam will be coming soon or the near future (i.e., Mk.II).

150 HP with shift-cam system on both the intake and exhaust valves?
I suspect we will see that when the EU-6 requirements come into play, if it is needed, or some time well after that if not needed to meet EU-6.

EU-4 was for 2016/2017 bikes, EU-5 is for 2020/2021 bikes, so EU-6 should appear for 2024/2025 or so. The reason for the two years is that the first is for new engine designs (EU-5 = 2020), while the latter is for existing designs (EU-5 = 2021). That is the most likely reason we are seeing the R1250 in 2019. If BMW had waited to release the R1250 as a 2020 model it would have had to comply with EU-5 right out of the box. By releasing it for the 2019 model year, BMW do not need to have the R1250 EU-5 compliant until the 2021 model year. That gives them an additional year to get everything sorted out.

VVT for the intake cams gives the greatest bang for the buck and improves HP and TQ while reducing fuel consumption and emissions. Using VVT on the exhaust cams can give a small improvement in HP/TQ but its primary benefit is emissions reductions. There is additional weight, complexity and cost penalties for this so we shouldn't expect to see it implemented until it is necessary to do so. Wheither that is for EU-6 or something later, I have no idea.

Back