• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 Wethead 1254cc Engine

I would wait before thinking about the V-Head new or used market. When I think about some of the bugs that could be in the new timing system, it makes me want to go into the garage and hug my ‘18 RT.

This engine may indeed be the waive of the future, but if isn't BMW is going to have to open that tightly closed pocket book, and reach in with both hands to grab enough Deutsche Marks to turn things around. A big gamble, but I hope BMW has their act together. I want them to turn a corner attracting a new and younger market. With the tariff situation, the younger market may well be in Europe, but that’s a good place to start.

This my friends is going to be a most intriguing time to be a MOAer (or whatever the board calls us these days). I can't wait to read and see more.

E.

Last edited:
Interesting! I couldn't find a translation for "yeni"... maybe we can call it the Yeti-head...

There is similar video on YouTube that shows the logo "shift-cam".

The new nickname could be Shift-Head. Make sure you enunciate when you say it.

There is similar video on YouTube that shows the logo "shift-cam".

The new nickname could be Shift-Head. Make sure you enunciate when you say it.

That's the best name I've seen proposed so far.

Shift Cam is a good description, but sounds awkward as a label for a group of engines.

I think Shifthead does a better job of describing the distinguishing new feature of this engine while maintaining the "-head" tradition. And the word is right there on the cover...

To me, "variable" valve timing implies a whole range of lift positions, not just two. I know, most engines don't yet meet that criteria, but maybe we can save that name for a camless engine with electro-mechanical valves. So the various V-head variations don't appeal to me. Maybe it's too close to V-twin, or just suggests a V shape, which is not applicable here.

Oh, "Yeni" is just Turkish for "New" - the video is from Motorcular.com, a Turkish web site. Newhead? Say it 3X fast and you'll see that only works for the R1250R, the naked bike.:whistle

The hp increase is not enough to capture my interest, but I am keen to learn whether the low end torque curve improves significantly. That's what I miss most about the in-line 4s when I jump on the boxer. Improved emissions management and fuel efficiency - the Holy Grails of many EU-driven engineering "upgrades" - is adding cost, complexity and additional failure points. Having just bought a '17 GSA this Spring, I think I'll "wait and see" how well the new beast struts its stuff before jumping in.

The hp increase is not enough to capture my interest, but I am keen to learn whether the low end torque curve improves significantly. .

Looks like torque increases from the present 92 Ft Lb to 105 Ft Lb.
Hard to say where that happens.

Yes, it seems that way. Here's a link to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) document dated 8/30/2018 which specifically states that:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2019/bmw_m0060232_1254_0d8_hn.pdf

I wonder if this simply means that BMW can sell these engines if they wish, not that they necessarily have plans to do so. Sort of planning for if the stars align properly they'll go forward with it, but if not, not. Is there a similar form for the 1170 cc wethead? Maybe they could sell wetheads into the spring and release the fatheads next year as a 2019 1/2 model?

I wonder if this simply means that BMW can sell these engines if they wish, not that they necessarily have plans to do so. Sort of planning for if the stars align properly they'll go forward with it, but if not, not. Is there a similar form for the 1170 cc wethead? Maybe they could sell wetheads into the spring and release the fatheads next year as a 2019 1/2 model?

I expect all the 2019 R1250 models to be available before the end of the year. There has been no suggestion of planned chassis changes, just a modification to the existing head and a little more displacement. Just bolt the new engine into the existing models and spray some new paint colors.

I've seen one claim that the Michigan Highway Patrol already has the R1250RTP for testing. That test began today, so I guess we will know if that report was true when the results are released in a few months.

Clearances are checked at TDC, on the smallest radius of the cam, which is the same for both profiles.

FWIW, Honda offered a similar 2-stage system (VTEC) on the VFR series in the ‘90’s but it was dropped from the bikes some years ago. Some riders at the time didn’t like the system switching during aggressive cornering. I think it’s still used in some Honda cars, though.

. I think it’s still used in some Honda cars, though.

Correct, Honda uses the VVT in it’s cars and has for quiet sometime. I guess the advantages for a bike wasn’t great enough it to continue the use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Concours 14

Howdy,
Having been a former owner the Kawasaki Concours 1400 has variable valve timing. It works flawlessly!
Later,
Norm

Back