• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 Wethead 1254cc Engine

Nine more horses. Now if it’s a variable timing one that’s a significant upgrade. Without they it's certainly not enough of an upgrade to make me change from my '17. But a welcomed upgrade for one in the market for a R bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From the linked article: "... their entire R-suffixed line-up ..." Um, R1250GS, R1250GS Adventure, R1250R, R1250RS and R1250RT all have R prefixes

Also, "... we could expect to see Munich going further down this road." BMW Motorrad is based in Berlin.

These kind of easily avoidable factual errors make the entire article itself suspect in my mind.

From the linked article: "... their entire R-suffixed line-up ..." Um, R1250GS, R1250GS Adventure, R1250R, R1250RS and R1250RT all have R prefixes

Also, "... we could expect to see Munich going further down this road." BMW Motorrad is based in Berlin.

These kind of easily avoidable factual errors make the entire article itself suspect in my mind.

I don't recall BMW changing the complete line up in the past all at the same time. Earlier info on the new engine had it coming out for the RT only and wasn't it 150 horses all made possible by variable timing?

Jay

People are free to guess all they want. Until there is info published directly from BMW, take anything about the new motor with a grain of salt...

Earlier info on the new engine had it coming out for the RT only and wasn't it 150 horses all made possible by variable timing?

Jay

I think the RT was used as a test mule because it was easier to hide most of the new engine with the large fairing.
I was hoping all the 150 HP rumors were true, but I figured a 25 HP increase would be too good to be true.

Which bikes will get the new engine? I believe it would be cheaper to go on forward with only two boxer engines instead of three. Since they haven't announced next years colour for the RT, RS, R and GS, my guess is that all will have the new engine. The bikes with the non wethead have already been announced by BMW.

I don't care much for 150hp if I will rarely use it. IMO, VVT will probably bring more low end torque and mid range than high end power.
I would consider replacing my bike in 2020 with a new RT if the new engine comes out in 2019.

But, and this is of vital importance, what clever nickname will be have for it? Big head, fat head since it will be a bit bigger to hold the variable mechanism. Shifty head, (if there are reliabilty problems then a slight change might be in order) Varihead?

Rod

VVTWetHead is too long, I say VETHead. Say it with your favorite Bavarian accent :)

I don't think that is incorrect. IIRC, the manufacturing plant is in Berlin, but the Design, and corporate offices, etc., are in Munich.

... Earlier info on the new engine had it coming out for the RT only and wasn't it 150 horses all made possible by variable timing?
Jay
That was the case for the articles I read, 149~ HP.

I think the RT was used as a test mule because it was easier to hide most of the new engine with the large fairing...
I strongly suspect that you're right on that point Lee.

...I was hoping all the 150 HP rumors were true, but I figured a 25 HP increase would be too good to be true.
The initial articles I read stated that the engine increased HP to 149, and TQ with reductions in emissions and fuel consumption. My speculation, since the 134 HP figures started circulating, has been that BMW have done one of two things:
  1. reduced HP to meet a target reliability/durability goal
  2. reduced HP to leave room for another easy bump in power 2-3 years down the road
No idea if either or both have any validity, but they certainly are possibilities, there is definitely a big difference between 149-HP and 134.1-HP.

1170cc to 1254cc, 7% increase.
125HP to 134HP, 7% increase.

Probably not a coincidence.

I don't see a need for more HP, just hoping VVT brings more low-mid range torque and/or better mileage.

I'd like to see other changes in audio, navigation, storage and lighting, but I suspect 2019 models will be mainly new engines in the 2018 bikes.

Back