• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100R just wants to stumble and die

stoneyridgeboy

Ok. So, I found this bike, 1995 R1100R with 13,000 miles, back in November 2017. Bought it and brought it home. I rode it all winter. Well, as long as the temps were above 20 when I left the house (yeah, I'm a wimp). It ran great all year until the first of August. It would start and run great, but if I turned it off... not so good. As a matter of fact, for about 30 seconds upon restart, I'd have to keep it revved just to keep it running. At the suggestions of some friends, I pulled the tank and found the liner had peeled off leaving quite a mess inside. I cleaned everything out, replaced the fuel filter (which it and the hoses had been replaced around 2012 per the filter date. I also cleaned the injectors, adjusted the valves, and did a throttle body sync. Everything worked out great, and I've put 150 miles on it the past two day's commute to work. BUT this afternoon it stumbled upon restart after I had returned home and was going to go back to town. Then, it started fine in town at one stop, but at a second it acted up. Rode about 10 miles, turned it off and it sputtered again and died. I started it, it tried to die but I revved it up. Then, it ran fine all the way home. Any suggestions.
Thanks all!
Kevin

One possible cause is that the wiring in the ignition trigger (Hall sensor, HES) has deteriorated. There are other possible causes, but if you are on the original HES then it's a good idea to replace it.

I didn't change the fuel lines in the tank, though they looked like they had been changed (guessing when the filter was changed 2012). As for injector filters, no. I didn't change/clean those. I guess that's something I need to olli at doing.Now the HES. I've seen different opinions about them. Replace/rewire. I'll be looking at each of these since it's raining cats and dogs today.

Thanks!

I didn't change the fuel lines in the tank, though they looked like they had been changed (guessing when the filter was changed 2012). As for injector filters, no. I didn't change/clean those. I guess that's something I need to olli at doing.Now the HES. I've seen different opinions about them. Replace/rewire. I'll be looking at each of these since it's raining cats and dogs today.

Thanks!

Stoneyridge- The HES is a fiddley job. Real small wires, limited space and you have to get the correct high temperature rated wire. If that doesn’t bother you then you can rewire it yourself. GSAddict on this forum does the job very well and charges about 1/2 or 1/3 of the cost of a new replacement. Injectors.... I would send or bring them to a professional injector cleaning service. The pros will replace o-rings, clean filters and give you a report showing you flow rates and how closely matched they were able to get them. Worth it! Not expensive, I think I paid about $50 including the shipping a few years ago.

Stoneyridge- The HES is a fiddley job. Real small wires, limited space and you have to get the correct high temperature rated wire. If that doesn’t bother you then you can rewire it yourself. GSAddict on this forum does the job very well and charges about 1/2 or 1/3 of the cost of a new replacement. Injectors.... I would send or bring them to a professional injector cleaning service. The pros will replace o-rings, clean filters and give you a report showing you flow rates and how closely matched they were able to get them. Worth it! Not expensive, I think I paid about $50 including the shipping a few years ago.

Winter is coming.... If your Hall Sensor plate is original send it to GSAddict for a rewire. His test bench jig will thoroughly test the sensors once the wiring is replaced with Hi-Temp wire that will outlast the bike. With most of the oilheads it's not a matter of if it will fail but when.

Mine crapped out in very heavy rain while passing two tandem dump trucks in the Canadian Rockies east of Hope BC. No visibility due to road spray from these two very heavy and long vehicles made for a pretty solid pucker moment. They ended up passing me. On the right... When I managed to pull over the bike restarted in about 5 minutes. Then it died again further down the pass. And again. And again. This went on till I limped into Hope two hours later and found a tow truck home to Vancouver. Yep, they die in the rain pretty consistently! Don't let this happen to you when it is completely avoidable. This is what happens when eco friendly wire sheathings were mandated in the EU. The wire decomposes in situ.

P1010517sml.jpg

Not every complaint on an R1100 is the HES, or the in-tank U-hose, or the starter magnets coming loose or the sometimes often muffler bearing seizure.

You are on the right track with fuel delivery but, rule of thumb on any gasoline engine from hard starts to stumbling is replace the spark plugs.

The injectors have itsy, bitsy filters that can be replaced. Any Bosch fuel house or place that does fuel injectors should have filters. Rarely can they be cleaned.

Not every complaint on an R1100 is the HES, or the in-tank U-hose, or the starter magnets coming loose or the sometimes often muffler bearing seizure.

You are on the right track with fuel delivery but, rule of thumb on any gasoline engine from hard starts to stumbling is replace the spark plugs.

The injectors have itsy, bitsy filters that can be replaced. Any Bosch fuel house or place that does fuel injectors should have filters. Rarely can they be cleaned.

Dead right about the injector baskets. But when bikes run OK for a while, quit, cool off a bit and run again well... we've seen a LOT of these complaints turn into failed or failing HES sensors and if it is original in a bike this age it needs to be fixed anyway just due to age.

My '00 RT had 10K miles on it when I bought it in 2010. It sat more than most bikes that age and it had a LOT of fueling related issues. Rotten fuel lines inside the tank. Inlet filter to the pump broke open from being dried out. Injectors totally varnished up and even after cleaning I ended up replacing them. Basically all the rubber parts from the tank to the throttle bodies and even they had leaks from dried up O rings on the throttle shaft. All of this was squared away as it was found but it took me years to get that bike sorted out. Not saying they are all like that but this owner did not even drain the tank. I fixed things along the way as I brought it home from Raleigh NC to Vancouver BC.

Kevin,

At the recommendation of another member, my son used "Mr. Injector" (http://www.mrinjector.us/) to have his injectors cleaned when he acquired his K1100RS. At $17.50 a pop, you can't beat that. They use an ultrasonic method for cleaning, which worked wonders for his bike. Turnaround was maybe a week and a half.

Update.

In the past week, I run two tanks of gas through the bike. The acting up upon restart had been getting less. Today, the issue was completely gone. The bike never missed a beat, and ran GREAT. My thought was that something that had been in the fuel system has finally worked it's way out. I dunno, but just as quickly as the issue appeared, it has now left. Now, I need to replace a rear tire, probably a new battery, and I'm gonna check into the HES to see if it's been replaced in the past or not.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Back