• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mirrors on an RT

JosephLarson

I didn't want to revive an old thread, and I didn't find anything that really answered my question, so I'm posting. Sorry if this is really already answered.

I have a 2015 R1200RT that I just bought this spring. Compared to my old bike -- Yamaha V-Star 650 -- it's a heck of an upgrade. Amazing amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I currently have one complaint, and I know I'm not the only one. I don't like taking my eyes so far from the road to check my mirrors. That means I'm checking them far less than I feel is safe -- which really should be done constantly for full awareness at all times of everything around me. So I want some mirrors that are higher.

Wunderlich sells a solution that involves replacing a clamp on the handlebars and then adding a pair of stem mirrors. It's a good solution, but darned pricy of around $250 plus who knows what for shipping.

I know there are alternatives. I've seen bar end mirrors. I'm leery of these. I don't know if I want something on the ends of the bars for a variety of reasons.

I've also found other sources that sell what appears to be a very similar clamp for about $5 a pair, and you can find mirrors for $25 a pair. I haven't measured the existing parts that I'd be replacing with these parts I've found, so I haven't verified they fit. But I like $30 a lot more than $250.

Does anyone have a solution they would recommend over the Wunderlich solution?

Thanks.

PS. I absolutely love the bike.

Wunderlich: Good, but expensive

Adaptors: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/21211102.html $74 per pair
Mirrors: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8700035.html $91.95 each

I put a set of these on my 16 RT and really like them:

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-Adjustable-Folding-Mirror

They're a little less expensive than the Wunderlich solution but still pricey.

These really work well for me as I push my RT under a set of cabinets in my garage (on a HF bike dolly) and need to lower the mirror on one side in order to do so. These can be easily repositioned but hold the position you put them in while riding.

Welcome to the BMW MOA Forums. There is a wealth of information here.

I have a 2015 RT, and added some BMW OEM mirrors which I think were intended for a GS. These are the angular shape mirrors. BMW also made some round mirrors which serve the same purpose. Moshe Levy has them on his RT.

Essentially, adding the mirrors required adding two small $33 mounting points, and then two mirrors which each cost about $90. This was three years ago, however. I don't know what the present cost is.

Here's a photo of the mirrors on my 2015 RT, along with the little convex mirrors I added to the stock mirrors:

IMG_3153.jpg

I also added the GS mirrors to my 2018 R1200RTW. I have the BMW running lights and there is a GS perch for the left mirror that allows for attachment of the on/off button for these lights.

I had the same (or similar) mirrors to the ones that ExGMan shows in his photo, mounted the same way, on my 2011 RT. They were great! After I put them on, I only used the stock mirrors (after turning them way out, so they gave a view of my blind spot) for a quick check when changing lanes. The standard mirrors gave me a great view of my hands and the tops of the saddlebags, but little view of the road behind me. I just purchased a new RT and the stock mirrors on that bike work for me.

BTW, I have the old mirrors and adapters available for sale. I've not yet put them in the marketplace. PM if you're interested.

John
Do the GS mirrors interfere with the windshield when turning bars full lock
Thanks

Jim

Jim - I have a Z-Technik V-Stream windshield on the RT. At full lock on either side, the mirrors do not contact the shield. As you might imagine, the arms of the mirrors can be adjusted a lot, and it's easy to position them so that they don't touch the shield, while still providing full function as rear-view mirrors.

John

Last edited:
John
Do the GS mirrors interfere with the windshield when turning bars full lock
Thanks

Jim

I was in error when I said that I had the same mirrors that ExGMan has. The ones from Wunderlich that I had, instead of having a bend of the stalk, as his do, have an adjustable joint where the bend is in his mirror stalks. This allow a very high degree of adjustability and also provides some degree of safety and longevity as I'll explain.

Mine are adjustable 3 ways. They rotate on their mounts, so when at full lock on either side, they can be adjusted to leave sufficient clearance so as not to hit ANY windshield that you mount. The arm rotates on the mount to adjust the horizontal angle, that is the angle that the arm makes with the vertical stalk. The mirrors move to adjust the vertical angle of view that you see behind you. The horizontal angle that the mirrors make is adjustable and that has to do with how high they sit, how far out to the sides they protrude (allowing you to see more around your shoulder/arms), and help to avoid breaking in a tipover because you don't crank them down as hard as your wrench will allow. Leave them just tightened firmly enough that they hold their position, but can be folded in if need be. They are "click stopped" so it's easy to return them to their original position without tools. It can be done on the move. In those slow speed tipovers that sometimes break rigidly mounted mirrors, these will just be bumped out of the way. (BTW, this degree of tightness of the rotation part of the adjustment will also help to avoid breakage if applied to the bases, so that the mirrors can rotate if too much force is applied to them). And finally, the length of the stalk after the pivot can be adjusted in and out.

Here are three mirrors that Wunderlich sells for the RT. The first one retails for $70. It has a bent stalk and the angle is not adjustable. The second two, (the first one are the ones that I had on my 2011 RT) have an adjustable joint where the first mirror has a bend in the stalk. They are more expensive, retailing for $92, but they are more adjustable and more likely to survive a parking lot tipover, since the joint can be adjusted to move and give with the force of hitting the ground. Additionally they can be folded in, so if you're going off-road, they won't be hitting obstructions. The third photo shows the adjustability afforded by the joint.

Attachments

• Wunderlich Mirror 1.jpg
    Wunderlich Mirror 1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 352
  • Wunderlich Mirror 2.jpg
    Wunderlich Mirror 2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 360
  • Wunderlich Mirror 3.jpg
    Wunderlich Mirror 3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 358
Thank you, everyone.

I also asked the man who let me ride his RT (most expensive motorcycle ride ever, as I had to have my own after that.) He pointed out that the Wunderlich mount appeared to be machined far better, and in spite of the cost difference, if he were going to add something like this to his BMW, he'd spend the money to get the higher quality part.

It's hard to argue with, "Don't stick a $3 part on a $25,000 motorcycle."

I'll post photos when the deed is done.

Glad you love the bike. So do I!

I have had RTs for years and have never wanted mirrors other than stock But if that makes you love your bike more, go for them!

I put a set of these on my 16 RT and really like them:

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-Adjustable-Folding-Mirror

They're a little less expensive than the Wunderlich solution but still pricey.

These really work well for me as I push my RT under a set of cabinets in my garage (on a HF bike dolly) and need to lower the mirror on one side in order to do so. These can be easily repositioned but hold the position you put them in while riding.

Thank Lirider,
I ordered a set of these and will install them on my 18 RT with the 'mirror adapters' from Wunderlich

Thank Lirider,
I ordered a set of these and will install them on my 18 RT with the 'mirror adapters' from Wunderlich

No problem! I ended up using the mirror adapters from the GS ... not sure how those compare with the Wunderlich's price wise but I had a Max BMW gift card to use up anyway :)

Ride Safe!

No problem! I ended up using the mirror adapters from the GS ... not sure how those compare with the Wunderlich's price wise but I had a Max BMW gift card to use up anyway :)

Ride Safe!

I originally ordered the Wunderlich part but did not like the finish. I actually returned the first set and the 2nd set was not much better. Then my dealer turned me on to the GS part. Love them. Use them for Ram mounts as I find the RTW mirrors good and much better than the ‘05 thru ‘13 RT mirrors.

If anyone needs a set of GS mirrors like the first set in the photos posted earlier in this thread I’ve got a set I’d be willing to part with. Shoot me a pm

Back