• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

clutch squeak

D.Ed

2007 R1200RT Has developed a squeak when the clutch is disengaged. Not all the time but more often than not. I assume that is the throw out bearing. Just wondering if it's a normal thing at 62,000 miles and if I should be worried about it.

Could be dry pushrod to slave cylinder interface. The replacements come with a dab of lube in the recess, like the 1100XX's seem to do as well.If the slave isn't leaking and the pushrod has smooth ends, maybe a dab of grease in recess will cure the issue.

Have replaced more pushrods than slaves on Hexheads from having a rattle sitting idling in neutral.Two had hammered ends on bikes with under 70K. It seems random...how many times you use clutch isn't any bigger factor from Iron Butt milers who may ride more than stop/start style riding from my view. The Hexheads failure rate compared to Oilheads is way rarer.

Pretty easy to get to on a Hexhead compared to Oilhead as well as it sits in view/ reach of the rear strut.Tire, strut and you're there.

Reminds me that mine on an 09's started tapping in Des Moines again at 140K, pushrod replaced back around 50K.
Betting it's the pushrod for me

Slave cylinder only had one screw holding in on. The pushrod will not separate from the cylinder. Feels dry and rough when I spin it in cylinder. It will pull out a little but not all the way. Tried to cheat and not move the shock so could not pull cylinder and rod out together. Will remove wheel and bottom shock bolt and see if it will come out as a unit. Is this the right course of action?

Slave cylinder only had one screw holding in on. The pushrod will not separate from the cylinder. Feels dry and rough when I spin it in cylinder. It will pull out a little but not all the way. Tried to cheat and not move the shock so could not pull cylinder and rod out together. Will remove wheel and bottom shock bolt and see if it will come out as a unit. Is this the right course of action?

Well, that will cause an issue. Sounds like it got a bit stressed at an angle perhaps.

Yes, with shock in the clear you can pull straight back for the pushrod to clear. I have changed a slave without moving the shock, but patience is required, if the rod is stuck it's not happening .

I am trying to think if completely removing the shock is needed or as you plan, just the lower bolt. you will know pretty quick

While trying to wiggle it out with the bottom shock bolt out it separated. The end that sits in the cylinder is peened over. Will have to remove shock to get rod all the way out. The cylinder appears good, no leakage. Looks like a new rod and one bolt will get it going. Thanks Henzilla for your help. Will let you know if this solves the squeak.

I got a new pushrod from the dealer today and it will not fit in the cup on the slave cylinder. Looks like that part is damaged too. Should have seen that last night. Will order a slave from Beemer Boneyard today. Shame cause the cylinder is dry.

Well :banghead

I changed a few hammered rods w/out damage to slave, but, having one of two screws loose must have beat it pretty good.
Luckily, BBY started carrying the 12XX versions, save a little $$

Good parts dept.at your dealer, have not have the luck of getting one off the shelf around here.:thumb

Was there any lube in socket? Would add some to new slave and a tiny dab on pressure plate side of rod. Have used some moly based paste.

Hermy's BMW in Pa. Very good on parts and good caring dealer. Socket was bone dry. Will put some moly on both ends when I get new slave. So tiny dab of lube goes on very end of rod on pressure plate side? Is that correct?

Yeah, no Hermy's here.:violin

Just a dab on the contact surface of rod and not too much added to slave cylinder ,depending on how much is there when you get it, it's not been consistent on 11XX or 12XX models I have seen.

Slave cylinder arrived today. OMG what a difference. Squeak gone and the feel has improved immensely. I bought this bike with 12 thou on it and never liked the way the clutch felt. Now has 62 thou. I blamed it on the hydraulics because it was the first bike I owned that did not have a cable operated clutch. Now I could not be happier with the feel. It is easier to pull and very smooth on the release. I believe that cylinder pushrod interface was dry from day one. Henzilla, your the man. I never would have thought to look there for this problem. There is nothing like the voice of experience. Thank you.

Back