• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Drilling the Tail Section to Mount Factory Rear Rack

Kikemon

Hello! I recently acquired a beautiful '94 K75S with only about 24K miles on it.

The reason I am writing is to see if I could get some advice on mounting the stock top box on my bike. I have an OEM rack and top box along with all the screws and washers that go with them. I do not have instructions though.

From what I picked-up off the internet, the rear cowl should be marked on the inside for where the holes need to be drilled (true? If so, what size holes?). I can't believe that the rack simply mounts to the cowl plastic directly. Isn't there some sort of sub-frame that the rack mounts to? If anyone has an old set of directions sitting around or knows the steps, I would be very appreciative!

Thanks again,
Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitch,

On the inside of the tail section there are four bosses for the tail rack bolts. There is a dimple in each one that is where the bolt hole should be centered.
P1020002.jpg

If you look at your rack, the bolts do not go in perpendicular to the rack.
P1010991.jpg

I was mistaken (been a few years since I did my last one) when I said that the bolt holes were perpendicular with the lower edge of the tail section. They are not. The ONLY reference surface is the face of the bosses. The bolt holes should be perpendicular to the face of the bosses.
P1010996.jpg

P1010995.jpg

To make keeping the holes at the correct angle easier, take a sheet of plywood and attach a block 6 1/2" tall to one end. Preferably the block should be a bit wider than the two holes at the front end of the tail section (7 1/4" to 8"). Block in picture is not the correct dimension.
P1010998.jpg

Lay tail section upside down on plywood and block. Lightly screw tail section to block with two screws. You can now take this to a drill press and get all 4 holes the exact same angle. DON'T FORGET TO USE painters tape or masking tape on the back side of where you are going to drill the holes to prevent paint chipping. Use a 15/64" drill.
P1020001.jpg

Last edited:
Since we were talking about this, I decided to make a cleaner, more permanent version of the fixture for future use.

P1020003.jpg

Screwing the tailsection to the riser block (6 1/2" tall) makes holding the tail section easier. BUT REMEMBER to hold the rear of the tail section down as you are drilling in case the drill bites into the plastic!
P1020004.jpg

The fixture and a drill press make this an easy one person job.
P1020006.jpg

The fixture insures that all holes will be at the same correct angle. If holes do not perfectly align with rack, slightly enlarge one hole at a time until all four bolts fit.
P1020005.jpg

USE BLUE PAINTERS TAPE ON THE BACK SIDE (the side the rack goes on) WHILE DRILLING THE HOLES TO MINIMIZE PAINT CHIPPING FROM THE DRILL COMING THROUGH!

Last edited:
Back