Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Serious problem and need help finding solution

  1. #1

    Serious problem and need help finding solution

    THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED! Thanks to all who responded!!!

    My dealership closed very recently and I have a bike exhibiting for following behaviors. I pulled the fuses under the seat and put them back in hoping to reset the problem.

    Engine Light is on
    Seems to be in Limp Mode, throttle unresponsive but higher than normal idle

    My thoughts: It may have something to do with the throttle or the throttle bodies. When I turned the bike off and let it sit a while, the engine light went off and stayed off until I moved the throttle. It seems like I heard a little noise coming from the right side throttle body, but I'm not sure.

    The bike worked perfectly when I rode it last week. Today I got on and it just seems to have gone bad all at once all by itself. My new nearest dealership is 130 miles away in Hilliard OH. I would ride it there no problem if it ran. Does anybody have an idea?

    edit: Made a video


    second edit: oil level is fine
    VArkd8bl.jpg
    Last edited by mustangguy; 09-06-2018 at 06:58 PM.

  2. #2
    What kind of motorcycle are we talking about? If BMW what year, model and current mileage?
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangguy View Post
    My dealership closed very recently and I have a bike exhibiting for following behaviors. I pulled the fuses under the seat and put them back in hoping to reset the problem.

    Engine Light is on
    Seems to be in Limp Mode, throttle unresponsive but higher than normal idle

    My thoughts: It may have something to do with the throttle or the throttle bodies. When I turned the bike off and let it sit a while, the engine light went off and stayed off until I moved the throttle. It seems like I heard a little noise coming from the right side throttle body, but I'm not sure.

    The bike worked perfectly when I rode it last week. Today I got on and it just seems to have gone bad all at once all by itself. My new nearest dealership is 130 miles away in Hilliard OH. I would ride it there no problem if it ran. Does anybody have an idea?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 146023 View Post
    What kind of motorcycle are we talking about? If BMW what year, model and current mileage?
    2013 R1200GS with 7,600 miles

    tPtBTbYl.jpg
    Last edited by mustangguy; 09-04-2018 at 08:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    13,894
    Try charging the battery. If you feel comfortable, you can try a jumpstart with a donor battery.
    If you have access to a new battery, even better......at that bikes age, is it the original battery?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Try charging the battery. If you feel comfortable, you can try a jumpstart with a donor battery.
    If you have access to a new battery, even better......at that bikes age, is it the original battery?
    OM
    The battery is brand new. I will do a voltage check on it, but I doubt it is below 2.1vdc per cell. Will report back, thanks.

    edit: 12.75 VCD resting which is 2.125v/cell which is excellent
    14.26 running which means alternator and regulator is working

  6. #6
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    7,279
    Can you check the battery under load? That will tell the true tale.

    Does it have a keyless ignition?
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

  7. #7
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,539
    What city are you located near? I think you will need access to a GS-911 to check for fault codes.

    I am doubtful that pulling the fuses will reset the main engine and chassis electronics. If they can be reset by disconnecting power, lifting the negative battery lead at the battery would be a more certain method.

    FUSES
    15 A (Slot 1: instrument cluster, anti-theft alarm system (DWA), ignition lock, diagnostic socket, topcase light)
    7.5 A (Slot 2: left multifunction switch, Tire Pressure Control (RDC), audio system)
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    What city are you located near? I think you will need access to a GS-911 to check for fault codes.

    I am doubtful that pulling the fuses will reset the main engine and chassis electronics. If they can be reset by disconnecting power, lifting the negative battery lead at the battery would be a more certain method.

    FUSES
    15 A (Slot 1: instrument cluster, anti-theft alarm system (DWA), ignition lock, diagnostic socket, topcase light)
    7.5 A (Slot 2: left multifunction switch, Tire Pressure Control (RDC), audio system)
    I'm in Parkersburg WV, which is right across from Marietta OH.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Can you check the battery under load? That will tell the true tale.

    Does it have a keyless ignition?
    Thanks for the feedback. I actually own a load tester, but it is at my shop in town. The way that thing cranks, I doubt it is having any issues so unless I really have to. I'd rather not yank the battery and take it to the shop. I just now started it several times and it might as well be a car battery. Being a mechanic, I know what a weak battery feels like.

    It is a key type ignition. I understand the key-less types cause some troubles.

  10. #10
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    13,894
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangguy View Post
    The battery is brand new. I will do a voltage check on it, but I doubt it is below 2.1vdc per cell. Will report back, thanks.

    edit: 12.75 VCD resting which is 2.125v/cell which is excellent
    14.26 running which means alternator and regulator is working


    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Can you check the battery under load? That will tell the true tale.

    Does it have a keyless ignition?
    Yeah, under load is important. Battery connections need to be clean and tight as well.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post



    Yeah, under load is important. Battery connections need to be clean and tight as well.
    OM
    Thanks for your feedback. Connections are perfect, grounds are perfect, battery is strong as a mule in heat.

    https://youtu.be/YnablJYgmDQ?t=31s

  12. #12
    got, got, got no time... rguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rogersville, MO
    Posts
    512
    Certainly sounds like limp home mode. A GS911 or Motoscan should read your codes and hopefully point you towards the problem. I am guessing throttle sensor. I see you have handlebar risers. I know of at least one person (on Advrider) who reported that risers caused his problem by stretching his wires too tight. He loosened everything up and pulled some slack into the wires/connectors and solved the problem. Throttle sensors fail on occasion too. Good luck.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65
    _______________________
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are.

  13. #13
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    7,279
    Over on ADVRider in the GSpot sub-forum there is a lengthy thread on limp mode. It may offer some useful info.

    I agree that you should try disconnecting the battery to see if that causes a reset that corrects the problem. Also, knowing what fault codes are present would be helpful. Of course a dealer could do it or a GS911 could read them.

    The reason I asked about the keyless ignition is that you can do a simple reset of some sensors by pushing the ignition button on and off four times. The TPS is one of the sensors it will reset. There is a service bulletin out regarding the TPS (not sure it covers your year of manufacture). It calls for resetting the acceptable parameters the ECU will accept from the TPS when a bike presents with specific TPS related fault codes. My wife’s GS had the problem and it did not affect starting.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by rguy View Post
    Certainly sounds like limp home mode. A GS911 or Motoscan should read your codes and hopefully point you towards the problem. I am guessing throttle sensor. I see you have handlebar risers. I know of at least one person (on Advrider) who reported that risers caused his problem by stretching his wires too tight. He loosened everything up and pulled some slack into the wires/connectors and solved the problem. Throttle sensors fail on occasion too. Good luck.
    I will see if they are stretched in the morning. I recently installed some lights, so I may have stretched the throttle wires just that little bit to make them fail. I assume the system is drive by wire, since twisting the throttle is not opening the throttle plates. If it were, it would influence the RPM's rather than just ignoring the twist.

    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Over on ADVRider in the GSpot sub-forum there is a lengthy thread on limp mode. It may offer some useful info.

    I agree that you should try disconnecting the battery to see if that causes a reset that corrects the problem. Also, knowing what fault codes are present would be helpful. Of course a dealer could do it or a GS911 could read them.

    The reason I asked about the keyless ignition is that you can do a simple reset of some sensors by pushing the ignition button on and off four times. The TPS is one of the sensors it will reset. There is a service bulletin out regarding the TPS (not sure it covers your year of manufacture). It calls for resetting the acceptable parameters the ECU will accept from the TPS when a bike presents with specific TPS related fault codes. My wife’s GS had the problem and it did not affect starting.
    I will disconnect the battery ground for a long period of time tomorrow. That will reset things as much as possible without a GS911.

    I will be back when I have more tales to tell. Thank you both.

  15. #15
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangguy View Post
    I'm in Parkersburg WV, which is right across from Marietta OH.
    Well, you are close enough, but I just remembered that my older GS-911 will not work on a wethead.

    Holt BMW outside of Athens, OH is only about 35 miles from Parkersburg if you do need a dealer.
    Even Motohio would be closer to you (106 miles) than Hilliard.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 01:39 AM
  2. Garmin 276 C solution?
    By JDOCKERY132445 in forum Gear
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 11:44 AM
  3. Tell me Techlusion is the solution...
    By deanzat in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 05:26 PM
  4. A possible solution for the TURBULENCE
    By 106473 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •