• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Serious problem and need help finding solution

mustangguy

THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED! Thanks to all who responded!!!
:kiss
My dealership closed very recently and I have a bike exhibiting for following behaviors. I pulled the fuses under the seat and put them back in hoping to reset the problem.

Engine Light is on
Seems to be in Limp Mode, throttle unresponsive but higher than normal idle

My thoughts: It may have something to do with the throttle or the throttle bodies. When I turned the bike off and let it sit a while, the engine light went off and stayed off until I moved the throttle. It seems like I heard a little noise coming from the right side throttle body, but I'm not sure.

The bike worked perfectly when I rode it last week. Today I got on and it just seems to have gone bad all at once all by itself. My new nearest dealership is 130 miles away in Hilliard OH. I would ride it there no problem if it ran. Does anybody have an idea?

edit: Made a video

second edit: oil level is fine
VArkd8bl.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of motorcycle are we talking about? If BMW what year, model and current mileage?
My dealership closed very recently and I have a bike exhibiting for following behaviors. I pulled the fuses under the seat and put them back in hoping to reset the problem.

Engine Light is on
Seems to be in Limp Mode, throttle unresponsive but higher than normal idle

My thoughts: It may have something to do with the throttle or the throttle bodies. When I turned the bike off and let it sit a while, the engine light went off and stayed off until I moved the throttle. It seems like I heard a little noise coming from the right side throttle body, but I'm not sure.

The bike worked perfectly when I rode it last week. Today I got on and it just seems to have gone bad all at once all by itself. My new nearest dealership is 130 miles away in Hilliard OH. I would ride it there no problem if it ran. Does anybody have an idea?

Try charging the battery. If you feel comfortable, you can try a jumpstart with a donor battery.
If you have access to a new battery, even better......at that bikes age, is it the original battery?
OM

Try charging the battery. If you feel comfortable, you can try a jumpstart with a donor battery.
If you have access to a new battery, even better......at that bikes age, is it the original battery?
OM

The battery is brand new. I will do a voltage check on it, but I doubt it is below 2.1vdc per cell. Will report back, thanks.

edit: 12.75 VCD resting which is 2.125v/cell which is excellent
14.26 running which means alternator and regulator is working

Can you check the battery under load? That will tell the true tale.

Does it have a keyless ignition?

What city are you located near? I think you will need access to a GS-911 to check for fault codes.

I am doubtful that pulling the fuses will reset the main engine and chassis electronics. If they can be reset by disconnecting power, lifting the negative battery lead at the battery would be a more certain method.

FUSES
15 A (Slot 1: instrument cluster, anti-theft alarm system (DWA), ignition lock, diagnostic socket, topcase light)
7.5 A (Slot 2: left multifunction switch, Tire Pressure Control (RDC), audio system)

What city are you located near? I think you will need access to a GS-911 to check for fault codes.

I am doubtful that pulling the fuses will reset the main engine and chassis electronics. If they can be reset by disconnecting power, lifting the negative battery lead at the battery would be a more certain method.

FUSES
15 A (Slot 1: instrument cluster, anti-theft alarm system (DWA), ignition lock, diagnostic socket, topcase light)
7.5 A (Slot 2: left multifunction switch, Tire Pressure Control (RDC), audio system)

I'm in Parkersburg WV, which is right across from Marietta OH.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually own a load tester, but it is at my shop in town. The way that thing cranks, I doubt it is having any issues so unless I really have to. I'd rather not yank the battery and take it to the shop. I just now started it several times and it might as well be a car battery. Being a mechanic, I know what a weak battery feels like.

It is a key type ignition. I understand the key-less types cause some troubles.

The battery is brand new. I will do a voltage check on it, but I doubt it is below 2.1vdc per cell. Will report back, thanks.

edit: 12.75 VCD resting which is 2.125v/cell which is excellent
14.26 running which means alternator and regulator is working
:thumb

Yeah, under load is important. Battery connections need to be clean and tight as well.
OM

Certainly sounds like limp home mode. A GS911 or Motoscan should read your codes and hopefully point you towards the problem. I am guessing throttle sensor. I see you have handlebar risers. I know of at least one person (on Advrider) who reported that risers caused his problem by stretching his wires too tight. He loosened everything up and pulled some slack into the wires/connectors and solved the problem. Throttle sensors fail on occasion too. Good luck.

Over on ADVRider in the GSpot sub-forum there is a lengthy thread on limp mode. It may offer some useful info.

I agree that you should try disconnecting the battery to see if that causes a reset that corrects the problem. Also, knowing what fault codes are present would be helpful. Of course a dealer could do it or a GS911 could read them.

The reason I asked about the keyless ignition is that you can do a simple reset of some sensors by pushing the ignition button on and off four times. The TPS is one of the sensors it will reset. There is a service bulletin out regarding the TPS (not sure it covers your year of manufacture). It calls for resetting the acceptable parameters the ECU will accept from the TPS when a bike presents with specific TPS related fault codes. My wife’s GS had the problem and it did not affect starting.

Certainly sounds like limp home mode. A GS911 or Motoscan should read your codes and hopefully point you towards the problem. I am guessing throttle sensor. I see you have handlebar risers. I know of at least one person (on Advrider) who reported that risers caused his problem by stretching his wires too tight. He loosened everything up and pulled some slack into the wires/connectors and solved the problem. Throttle sensors fail on occasion too. Good luck.

I will see if they are stretched in the morning. I recently installed some lights, so I may have stretched the throttle wires just that little bit to make them fail. I assume the system is drive by wire, since twisting the throttle is not opening the throttle plates. If it were, it would influence the RPM's rather than just ignoring the twist.

Over on ADVRider in the GSpot sub-forum there is a lengthy thread on limp mode. It may offer some useful info.

I agree that you should try disconnecting the battery to see if that causes a reset that corrects the problem. Also, knowing what fault codes are present would be helpful. Of course a dealer could do it or a GS911 could read them.

The reason I asked about the keyless ignition is that you can do a simple reset of some sensors by pushing the ignition button on and off four times. The TPS is one of the sensors it will reset. There is a service bulletin out regarding the TPS (not sure it covers your year of manufacture). It calls for resetting the acceptable parameters the ECU will accept from the TPS when a bike presents with specific TPS related fault codes. My wife’s GS had the problem and it did not affect starting.

I will disconnect the battery ground for a long period of time tomorrow. That will reset things as much as possible without a GS911.

I will be back when I have more tales to tell. Thank you both.

I'm in Parkersburg WV, which is right across from Marietta OH.

Well, you are close enough, but I just remembered that my older GS-911 will not work on a wethead.

Holt BMW outside of Athens, OH is only about 35 miles from Parkersburg if you do need a dealer.
Even Motohio would be closer to you (106 miles) than Hilliard.

Ahhh, just a week or two too late. holtbmw.com is now re-directed to http://www.holtdesignorganisation.com/

From the web site:

WE’RE CLOSING THE DEALERSHIP
After 27 years we’ve decided to close our BMW Motorcycle Dealership effective August 31st, 2018. We will continue as Holt Design Organisation to provide BMW motorcycle paint and will operate the body shop full-time.

We want to thank you for your support, business, and friendships over the years — it’s been quite a ride!

Sorry to see this, but I always wondered how they survived so long as an old-school operation, without the BMW-mandated showroom design.

Well, you are close enough, but I just remembered that my older GS-911 will not work on a wethead.

Holt BMW outside of Athens, OH is only about 35 miles from Parkersburg if you do need a dealer.
Even Motohio would be closer to you (106 miles) than Hilliard.

Yeah, they are my dealer and where I bought the bike. Sad that they closed up, but Ken liked doing restorations and painting of vintage BMW's. He's as good as it gets, so I figure he'll do just fine. People send fenders and tanks from all over the country to him.

Solved!

As stated by one of the responses, handlebar risers such as what I use, can cause the wires to stretch from the throttle. They didn't stretch, but they did come unplugged. Here is a picture of the connection, so if you have this problem, then check this connection.

vu9MWxHl.jpg

Thank you to everyone!

Back