• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300S motosports edition

note to anyone who wants to install a power commander 5 on this bike. It is a real job. Everything has to come off the bike for the install down to removing the throttle bodys. The clamps that hold the TB's on had to be cut off with a dremel tool and a cutting wheel. This is no job for amateur mechanics and I could only hazard a guess on how much a BMW shop would charge to install the PC. The Akra pipes were an easy install. Hope to get another dyno session next week.

I do not have time to scan and post the dyno results right now but here are the results. I am using the baseline from the dyno session and the final dyno run on the same day after tuning because both have correction factors of 1.0 which means there was no correction because of temp., humidity or barometric pressure from the STD engineering standard. Before I go into the results that we got let me reiterate that this is on a dyno that is meticulously maintained and the operator is a graduate engineer and in my opinion one of the best tuners in the country. No funny business here just very accurate results. The baseline run (# 002) before tuning with the PC 5 (0 map installed) and the Akra header system on was 152.50 HP at 9,750 RPM and 90.27 TQ at 8,400 RPM. This baseline run was at 2:47 PM and run conditions were 60.94 F, 29.70 in-hg, humidity 33% and the std correction factor was 1.00. The final run after tuning run (# 14) with the PC 5 mapped and the Akra exhaust installed the final results were 158.54 HP 9,750 rpm and 94.48 ft/lbs TQ at, 8250 rpm. Run conditions were 64.68 F, 29.71 hg and humidity was 29%. The std correction factor was 1.00. HP and TQ were up across the entire RPM range. I will try and find time this weekend to post the dyno sheet for run # 2 and run # 14. :)

Was this the result I had hoped for, no it was not but it is a realistic accurate result of what can be expected with the best exhaust system available and a professional tune with the DynoJet PC5 on a accurate dyno. The next step will be to take the bike to both a 1/8th and 1/4 mile dragstrip and see what kind of numbers I can get. This may be next spring because of the weather here and the racetracks shutting down for the season.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your results. Like you, I was hoping for more. My takeaway from all your hard work is - BMW seems to be pretty good at exhaust and fuel injection system design/tuning.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your results. Like you, I was hoping for more. My takeaway from all your hard work is - BMW seems to be pretty good at exhaust and fuel injection system design/tuning.

Motor is their middle name. :)

Dyno run

OK here are the dyno runs from the tuning session at Commonwealth Cycles. These runs are a baseline with a slip on and a run after all tuning was complete with the full Akrapovic exhaust system & the dyno tuned Power Commander five. Be aware that the aftermarket slip on muffler removed the catalytic converter and was freer flowing than the stock muffler. As such the bike was making more HP than it did when it was completely stock. Since I was unable to get dyno results for the bike when it was stock I expect that the difference with the Akra exhaust and the tuned PC five would have been somewhat greater but I cannot quantify that difference.

Attachments

• DYNO RUN BMW 11-6-2019.pdf
    466.8 KB · Views: 24
If anyone is interested I have spreadsheets for both these dyno runs. These show the following information in 250 RPM increments
1. elapsed time of run
2. HP
3. TQ
4. air fuel ratio
I always ask for this dyno run information because it gives more detailed data than a simple dyno graph

Still Riding the K1300S

Been awhile since I posted but I am STILL on the K1300S. Mine is a 2015 Motorsports Edition. I have bought and sold quite a few bikes through the years but do believe I will keep this one a bit longer. For me, it does everything well…..except multi-week touring…..and it would be just fine at that were I a bit shorter (6’3”). At my height, it folds me up just a bit too much for very long, multiple day rides. It’s fine for 2-3 days though. The Motorsports Editions have electric suspension, quick shift, forged wheels and HP pegs and the jazzy M paint job. Mine’s only got 3000 miles on it!

I added an Amplink power distribution module which supplies me with extra circuits to the tank bag to charge an iPhone and an iPad. It also supplies power to the GPS, the radar detector, some hi-vis front and rear lighting and a dongle to run an air compressor. Highly recommended.

Grip Puppies are almost mandatory for the thin, hard grips. I run the Akropovic exhaust without the DB killer because below 5000 rpm its not too loud and doesn’t drone……….and above 5K is sounds like a F1 car.

My clutch pulses getting underway but that seems to be something to live with as the causes and fixes have been the subject of many posts at I-BMW with no real answers. My bike runs and shifts just fine so…….meh.

The engine and transmission are as happy at 25 mph as they are at 11k rpm and frightening speeds. The electronic suspension works as advertised and I don’t know why every street bike doesn’t run this front suspension.

I take it to “Cars and Coffee” occasionally and it always generates a crowd and questions. Everyone thinks its BMW’s newest and best.9D5F0EF4-AB97-4395-A004-14CB555C9F3E.jpg

Last edited:
Back