• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300S motosports edition

Motorsports vs HP

Question for the forum: Is the motorsports edition different than the HP model? The HP I have is from 2013 and seems to just have some carbon fiber bits that make it different.

Question for the forum: Is the motorsports edition different than the HP model? The HP I have is from 2013 and seems to just have some carbon fiber bits that make it different.

The HP was a 2012 and looks like this.
bmw-k1300s-hp-and-dy-7_800x0w.jpg

In 2013 there was a red and white anniversary model that had some carbon fiber pieces.

The Motosport and had HP pegs and lite weight wheels.
The HP had HP pegs but I don't think it had the lite weight wheels.

Here's a picture of a 2013 30th anniversary model.
51743.jpg

All 3 have a Akra exhaust and some carbon pieces.

Here's the Motosport so you can compare.
attachment.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for the background Lee, mine is indeed a 2012 model that was sold in 2013.

Andy

1999 K1200RS Yellow Checkerboard
2004 K1200RS Blue/White
2012 K1300S HP Black

Excellent! Thanks for the background Lee, mine is indeed a 2012 model that was sold in 2013.

Andy

1999 K1200RS Yellow Checkerboard
2004 K1200RS Blue/White
2012 K1300S HP Black

One more item unique to the HP was the rear seat cowl.
Also for bikes sold in other countries the dark tinted shield was standard on the HP.
Welcome to the forum Andy.

One more item unique to the HP was the rear seat cowl.
Also for bikes sold in other countries the dark tinted shield was standard on the HP.
Welcome to the forum Andy.

Just personal taste but that rear cowl did nothing but detract from the looks of that bike.

Thanks to all who have helped especially Lee. Am buying a 2015 motorsports edition with 3591 miles in Nashville Tenn. Only 165 miles from Louisville KY. This will make a nice bookend for my 2016 R1200RT. One to play the other to travel. :thumb:) :)
The S is far more comfortable than it looks. We've done multiple 800+ mile days on the K1200S K1300S bikes and if our knees would take it we'd still be on one. Absolutely the finest sport touring bike ever made. Congrats !!

some further thoughts on my 2015 K1300 ME

Been a while since I have posted anything here or the other BMW forums here. Have had to make some changes since I was last here. I sold my 2016 R-1200RT and bought a 2019 Honda Gold Wing tour with a DCT transmission. This was the only way I could continue riding until a second Hip replacement is done later this summer. I still have my 2015 K1300 ME and I love that bike and have no intentions of selling it. Thanks to the advice from Lee and others here the changes I made improved a already great performance bike. Although I can't use it right now it awaits my full recovery. I intend to replace the R-1200 RT next year with a new GS-1250 adventure.

My riding is obviously curtailed now until the surgery & recovery but I do enjoy reading the posts and observations here. :wave

Good luck with your new tin hip. I just had my second knee replaced April 30. I’m now on two tin hips and two tin knees. They make life livable, again.

I know what you mean Zoomie. I now have a replacement right knee and right hip. The hip was far easier than the knee. Looking forward to possibly riding to the Pine Mountain rally in early December. If I make it I will be riding the Gold Wing though since the hip is still not ready for the K1300S. Had a friend take my 2015 K1300S to the local 1/8th mile drag strip recently and in less than ideal conditions my Bren tuned bike ran a 6.91 at 105.5 MPH. Theses bikes are really faster than most of the sport bike community gave them credit for including magazine testers. Looking forward to making this another of my project bikes and seeing what I can get out of it on the quarter mile while sticking with strictly streetable mild modifications. I am ordering a Akrapovic full exhaust and a PC5 and plan on some dyno tuning so we shall see. I will post the dyno sheets and drag strip times here for anyone interested. :beer

I have found a snag in my new to me 2015 Motorsport. The pegs are just a touch higher and back further than the K1200R and K1200R Sport I owned. I found a set of stock foot pegs and plates on EBay. The shifter appears to have gone on easily. The rear brake master cylinder actuator appears to be too long. The parts fische shows only one master cylinder actuator rod and the rear brakes are locked. I’m looking for ideas.

The artificial joints are great. With physical therapy and work, you should have a greater range of motion and comfort than before.

been a while since I have been on here and there have been some changes. Sold my 2016 RT and bought a 2019 Gold Wing DCT. I also recently found a full Akrapovic stainless/carbon exhaust used & in perfect shape and a new Power Commander 5 on deep discount. Have not had time yet to install and won,t until I get a baseline dyno done. Hope to get this done late Sept. or early October. Why am I doing this? Because I like tuning and can. For any interested stay tuned. :wave

dyno scheduled

A little later than I wanted but I have a dyno test scheduled for my K1300 next Thursday here in Louisville. This will be the before dyno test of the bike and I will do a after dyno test when the Akra full exhaust and Power Commander 5 is installed. This dyno will include a dyno tune. Hoping for around 175 RWHP.

I'd be very impressed if you get that result. Ideally it would be nice to do one mod (Power Commander), test, then the other mod (pipe). Keep us posted!

I will be too if it makes 175 RWHP, but hope springs eternal. It already has a Bren tune and a slip on muffler and runs very streng now. The reason for not doing in in three steps is that my syno shop (Commonwealth Motorcycles) here in Louisville is so busy with Ducati & KTM builds from all over the eastern USA that I was lucky to get two dyno sessions much less three. :thumb

I will be too if it makes 175 RWHP, but hope springs eternal. It already has a Bren tune and a slip on muffler and runs very streng now. The reason for not doing in in three steps is that my syno shop (Commonwealth Motorcycles) here in Louisville is so busy with Ducati & KTM builds from all over the eastern USA that I was lucky to get two dyno sessions much less three. :thumb

Sounds like these folks have a pretty good idea about what they're doing. Looking forward to your next post. :thumb

Yes Commonwealth has a very good dyno tuning and testing program. If it is there in the tune they will get it. I walked in on some testing last summer (2018) that was being done with the Indian flat tracker. There was a engineer with the race team there with two brand new Indian flat trackers.

First dyno test yesterday. The HP was 154.07 at 9,750 RPM and the TQ was 93.75 ft/lbs at 8,250 RPM. Air fuel ratio was lean for best power running over 14/1 to between 7,750 RPM and 8,000 RPM. The A/F didn't drop into the high 13/1 A/F range until over 8,000 RPM and stayed there all the way to 10,750 RPM. Clearly there is room for improvement with tuning. Best power will be made with A/F ratios from 13/1 to 13.2/1. I hope to get the Power Commander and Akra pipe installed next week and go back to Commonwealth for tuning. This dyno is meticulously maintained because of all the dyno testing that is done here. The weather station on the dyno was reading 69.64 F, 29.70 in-hg, 25 % humidity and the readings are std with a correction factor of 1.01. These are good conditions for dyno testing. When I am done I will post the graphs for those interested. :thumb

First dyno test yesterday. I hope to get the Power Commander and Akra pipe installed next week and go back to Commonwealth for tuning.

Thanks for the update. :thumb

I am far from an expert on the subject however it is my understanding that a Power Commander will give initial good results which gradually deteriorate due to the ECU readjusting the mixture with info/input from the O2 sensor. Would an AX-FIED mixture control unit be a better solution? It adjusts the O2 sensor signal to the ECU and is a permanent fix. I've used one and its a great solution.

Above is not meant as a criticism of your plan, just trying to help you get to that 175hp!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply BC100S. I have been using power commanders for tuning since they first became available for fuel injected bikes and I have not experienced what you describe. I don't have any experience tuning with the tuning device you are describing. It sounds like the very early power commanders which modified the signal from the barometic pressure sensor to change the fueling. The latest version of the Power Commanders are the most universally used add on tuning device both by amateurs like me and professional racers outside of the factory race teams. There is a better answer in tuning directly to the ECU which factory race teams use but it has not been applied extensively to the BMW K1300. There is a lot more R&D required to tune the ECU software directly and there is simply not enough market there with the K1300 aftermarket to justify it. DynoJet makes a tuner like this for Harley Davidson which is far more sophisticated than the Power Commander 5 but there is just not enough market to justify the R&D to produce one for the other brand bikes. Too many different models with different ECU's & software that do not share common ECU's like Harley does. Another example is cars where there is a much bigger market. I use a aftermarket ECU tuning program for my 2016 Corvette Z06 which is more sophisticated than anything available in the motorcycle aftermarket.

That 175 HP I was hoping for is probably just that, a hope, based on the 154 HP the bike has now. The dyno and tuner I am using will be a accurate picture of what is possible because of Chads ability and the accuracy of hius dyno. I know there is more there, just not how much.

That 175 HP I was hoping for is probably just that, a hope, based on the 154 HP the bike has now. The dyno and tuner I am using will be a accurate picture of what is possible because of Chads ability and the accuracy of hius dyno. I know there is more there, just not how much.

I think BMW claimed 175 hp at the crank. If one subtracts 15 hp for transmission/drivetrain losses then, allowing for minor deviations, you're not that far off with what you've already seen on the dyno. I'm going to venture a totally uneducated guess and say you'll see an increase up to 166hp after all is said and done. I'm thinking 5% for the pipe and 3% for the Power Commander. Maybe we should start a betting pool. :D

I'm curious to see if the increases come on all at once or is equally distributed through the useable rev range.

Back