• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

history lesson - '84 R100CS

dynajohn

For those of you familiar with 1980's air head BMW's what can you tell me about the 1984 R-100cs model. I understand this was a very rare special edition BMW. :)

If you're looking at one of the pearl white "Last Edition" versions, there weren't many of those (<175), but unless you're jazzed by the paint scheme, or by the "Last Edition" marketing materials that were associated with it, it's really just another '84 twin-shock bike. The "Last Edition" CS was delivered by dealers with a set of saddlebags, and both the dual and 3/4 cowled seats, so a little zootier there. The "Last Edition" bikes were supposed to be the end of the line for 1000cc airhead production, as BMW was rolling out the K-bikes, which were designed to be more competitive with the Japanese bikes of the day, and compliant with noise and emissions standards in Europe and the U.S., and the "Last Edition" bikes were supposed to be the end of the big airheads' production, hence, the commemorative ads, certificates, etc. There are more knowledgeable BMW historians than I, but, as I understand it, getting better pollution performance was problematic without fuel injection, catalytic converters, and the electronic/sensor infrastructure and engine temperature control of liquid cooling. There was reportedly enough blowback, from BMW's then-existing, long-time faithful ridership demographic, about the intended end of big-bore airheads, that BMW management caved, and revived 1000cc airhead production again in 1988, though in the newer monoshock frame design, and continued through 1995.

There's a fellow on E-bay now who's got his "Last Edition" CS starting-priced at $8000 (I think he started at $9K), but he hasn't gotten any bidders in several rounds of failed bid-seeking. Naked and S-faired twin-shock bikes are pretty desirable in the market these days, but he's still probably $2500 too high in his expectations---unless, of course, he finds someone who'll pay that. I have a very nice "Last Edition" RT, but the big fairings are not what most riders want. The "Last Edition" '84s had the same valve recession problems as the rest of the '81-'84 bikes, so unless a bike from those years has had a valve job done on it, a buyer should plan for a $1-1.5K expense for new valves and seats fairly promptly. Otherwise, they're just great airhead bikes.

Last edited:
If you're looking at one of the pearl white "Last Edition" versions, there weren't many of those (<175), but unless you're jazzed by the paint scheme, or by the "Last Edition" marketing materials that were associated with it, it's really just another '84 twin-shock bike. The "Last Edition" CS was delivered by dealers with a set of saddlebags, and both the dual and 3/4 cowled seats, so a little zootier there. The "Last Edition" bikes were supposed to be the end of the line for 1000cc airhead production, as BMW was rolling out the K-bikes, which were designed to be more competitive with the Japanese bikes of the day, and compliant with noise and emissions standards in Europe and the U.S., and the "Last Edition" bikes were supposed to be the end of the big airheads' production, hence, the commemorative ads, certificates, etc. There are more knowledgeable BMW historians than I, but, as I understand it, getting better pollution performance was problematic without fuel injection, catalytic converters, and the electronic/sensor infrastructure and engine temperature control of liquid cooling. There was reportedly enough blowback, from BMW's then-existing, long-time faithful ridership demographic, about the intended end of big-bore airheads, that BMW management caved, and revived 1000cc airhead production again in 1988, though in the newer monoshock frame design, and continued through 1995.

There's a fellow on E-bay now who's got his "Last Edition" CS starting-priced at $8000 (I think he started at $9K), but he hasn't gotten any bidders in several rounds of failed bid-seeking. Naked and S-faired twin-shock bikes are pretty desirable in the market these days, but he's still probably $2500 too high in his expectations---unless, of course, he finds someone who'll pay that. I have a very nice "Last Edition" RT, but the big fairings are not what most riders want. The "Last Edition" '84s had the same valve recession problems as the rest of the '81-'84 bikes, so unless a bike from those years has had a valve job done on it, a buyer should plan for a $1-1.5K expense for new valves and seats fairly promptly. Otherwise, they're just great airhead bikes.

Thanks, there are two of these for sale on this forum for $12,000 firm each. Virtually both new with very few miles. Thanks for the heads up concerning the valve recession problem. I am also concerned about rubber part deuteration of seals, carb parts etc. on older bikes of this vintage that were primarily stored by collectors and not used. I bought a low mileage Suzuki GS 1150E that appeared to be in mint shape 2 years ago and had to replace quite a lot of rubber parts some of which were no longer available.

That's a reasonable concern about the rubber/sealing bits on an unused/little-used bike. The parts are all available, and some replacement parts have improved upon the originals, but it'll take time and/or increasingly-rare skilled labor to deal with them. Most roundel-equipped dealerships won't work on airheads any longer; while they're often characterized as very simple machines, that doesn't really mean that anyone/everyone is sufficiently knowledgeable to handle most/any repairs, or even routine maintenance.

That's a reasonable concern about the rubber/sealing bits on an unused/little-used bike. The parts are all available, and some replacement parts have improved upon the originals, but it'll take time and/or increasingly-rare skilled labor to deal with them. Most roundel-equipped dealerships won't work on airheads any longer; while they're often characterized as very simple machines, that doesn't really mean that anyone/everyone is sufficiently knowledgeable to handle most/any repairs, or even routine maintenance.

Thanks for the reply fortunately I have a very qualified guy within 50 miles who only works on air heads to turn to for help. :)

IMHO, FWIW, an '84 R100 can't keep up with a slightly massaged R90S from '74 to '76. Two cents, I had an '84 RS. Setright called the R90S a bit fierce without any mods, back in the day. However, an old airhead, no matter how massaged, could not keep up with an'84 KRS. Pays yer money, grab yer bragging rights/faulty rememberies. Happy Labor Day to those who've worked their butts off. No work for me today.

Back