Thread: 02 K1200RS Brake Failure

02 K1200RS Brake Failure

When I left for my ride today.. It took longer than normal for my brake failure light to shut off. I unknowingly rode down the road with no brakes. When I slowed to a stop... The brakes kicked in. I went for my ride with no problems. After I returned and shut the bike off as I was at a friends. I turn the bike on and Brake Failure light blinks slow 4 times and then constantly and a much faster pace. No brakes at all. Any ideas?

Thanks-

Does the 02 model have the electric servo brakes? Any type of failure there will leave you with only "residual" braking, which ain't much! As I recall, under the seat on my 03 K bike, there was a sticker that explained the meaning of the brake failure light modes. In your owners manual as well. Most owners agreed the servo brake system was an over-engineered solution to a non-existent problem. Took BMW a bit too long to come to the same conclusion. Having said that, I really miss my K bike. Should have kept it longer.

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    Does the 02 model have the electric servo brakes? Any type of failure there will leave you with only "residual" braking, which ain't much! As I recall, under the seat on my 03 K bike, there was a sticker that explained the meaning of the brake failure light modes. In your owners manual as well. Most owners agreed the servo brake system was an over-engineered solution to a non-existent problem. Took BMW a bit too long to come to the same conclusion. Having said that, I really miss my K bike. Should have kept it longer.

Turns out it's the battery. Battery is about 3 yrs old. Not holding a charge... Was only putting out about 11V. I guess Servo needs to sense 13V+ to "engage". Charged battery... Pushing 14V running... Brakes fired up... I rode home. I'm glad all I need is a new battery... Whoop Whoop!!

Enjoy-

I love a happy ending.