View Poll Results: Have you ever struck (not near misses) a deer or similar critter while riding?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope!

47 69.12%
  • Yes, and had minor injury(s)

17 25.00%
  • Yes, and had significant injury(s)

4 5.88%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Have you struck a deer or other critter while riding? Please vote!

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    I think I've hit four deer, no crash or injuries to myself, two of the deer died and the other two were probably OK after a tumble (I didn't stop).

- clipped the hind legs of two that thought they could cross ahead of me, dusk or dark.

Probably some smaller stuff as well.
    That is part of the problem. Deer donít have any instinct for an aggressor approaching them faster than 30 or 40 mph. They think they can get past you and donít understand that you will cover the gap between you so quickly. Actual impacts for me have occurred in May, June and November, all during mid-day hours. This year, I have seen them at least 2 or 3 times each week, all season. If itís going to be worse during the rut season, I canít begin to imagine it.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Three I recall, all on Hexhead GS/GSA's.
    First one was an early morning pre dawn exit from my neighborhood headed to work. A broadside, or I just got there first, and I arrived to work with deer poo all over my riding pants leg and found horizontal deer on return home in a neighbors drive near where we met. Speed was around 30mph and I rode away without stopping

Worst was another double broadside by two young whitetail as I was entering a cedar lined corner at around 50MPH mid-morning. That one straigtened my line and into the bar ditch I went and over the bars when the bike hit the higher side of ditch and I didn't quite complete my reactive jump attempt...that one hurt, but rode home after zip tying a few parts back onto the GSA. Bike repaired and on to the next adventure.I had a concussion from that one from the over the bars landing and pretty sure I was out for a few seconds. My Nolan helmet was really mangled, but the chin bar was intact.

The most recent was a few years back during the rut after a lunch stop. High elevated road surface and big drop off to canyons. Buck blindly chasing the doe I did see and slow for from a 55 mph pace, and I did not as he came up on roadway. I ABS stopped as he contacted my left brake rotor/ caliper and carromed off spinning ahead of me. Big boy got up and went into brush missing the fur and hide he left stuck in my caliper and reflector on fork leg.
    I stopped upright and the fella in the pickup ahead of me had stopped thinking he was going to have to call 911 walked back with his head shaking and asking how I didn't wreck...wasn't my day thankfully.

Doesn't matter what time of year in sightings and near misses/near hits with deer,young cows, turkeys, buzzards, armadillos and such. Even on bicycles have had recent path crossings. You ride, you accept the risks and try to do your part to avoid the path crossings with nature.
    Last edited by henzilla; 09-05-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

https://bookyourmoto.com/
    I can not say anything about the bike, I was very lucky, so I did not get on a motorcycle in such trouble.
    But on the car this year I hit a stray dog. Was very a pity this dog. The most insulting in this situation that I have not been able to save him. I tried to slow down but I didn't have time.

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    That is part of the problem. Deer donít have any instinct for an aggressor approaching them faster than 30 or 40 mph.
    Neither do we, FWIW. Number may be slightly different but the principle is the same. "I can beat that train."
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Deer donít have any instinct for an aggressor approaching them faster than 30 or 40 mph.
    My RTW really looks like a pissed off aggressive predator too! Scary face! Cyborg!

BMW-R-12000-RT-FF.jpg

Great issue you bring up! This means speed matters more than just energy and braking kinetics--staying below the threshold where deer start to lose their instinctual ability to react correctly from a perceived threat might reduce collision risk quite dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    ...--staying below the threshold where deer start to lose their instinctual ability to react correctly from a perceived threat might reduce collision risk quite dramatically.
    That threshold is zero. They run into stationary cars. I've had them stand in the road until I drove into them to shoo them away. I don't think there is anything you can predict. Erratic behavior is their defense mechanism.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

lucky have not hit anythig.

I have been riding MC since 1955. Have had a few close calls, but no hits.

The last near miss was on the ride to NE, to the rock growing rally. while go up the mountain a hawk cane down from my left.

I don't know if it was in a tree, or flying around.

Scared the bee gee's out of the wife and I.

Our ride was 1974 r90. The bird must have spotted a meal on the side of the raod and went between the windshield and I.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]