View Poll Results: Have you ever struck (not near misses) a deer or similar critter while riding?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope!

66 69.47%
  • Yes, and had minor injury(s)

23 24.21%
  • Yes, and had significant injury(s)

6 6.32%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Have you struck a deer or other critter while riding? Please vote!

Knock on wood !!!!

Almost didn't want to vote. Thought I would upset the safety god's. I have only hit a possum here in Central Illinois. Sent him spinning 45 deg away from his approach angle. It was quite a sight and he never did that again.

Not on my bike. But in my car. I hit a Texas jack rabbit in our Ford Focus. $2,200 damage. Watch out, here in West Texas. They will get you!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Erratic behavior is their defense mechanism.
    I don't believe that's true at all, on a statistical level, IOW most of the time. Maybe the odd deer will spook from something else and run into a parked car, but if deer have time to see you (that, is a big IF for sure!) and time to react to move so as not to be eaten by your motorcycle I believe there will be a MUCH GREATER CHANCE the deer will not bolt towards you. They have been doing this, evading threats, for literally eons. Plus, of course, you have more time to react, all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I don't believe that's true at all, on a statistical level, IOW most of the time. Maybe the odd deer will spook from something else and run into a parked car, but if deer have time to see you (that, is a big IF for sure!) and time to react to move so as not to be eaten by your motorcycle I believe there will be a MUCH GREATER CHANCE the deer will not bolt towards you. They have been doing this, evading threats, for literally eons. Plus, of course, you have more time to react, all else being equal.
    I agree with that. I may have said this earlier, but the issue is that for “eons” the threats to deer moved at about 20 or 30 miles per hour. Now suddenly, the threat approaches at twice that speed and the deer are surprised when we reach them much sooner than their instinct makes them think we should.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6