Thread: Ed Culberson's R80 G/S "Amigo" Presentation (Sept 6th & 8th)

Ed Culberson's R80 G/S "Amigo" Presentation (Sept 6th & 8th)

Do any of you remember Ed Culberson and his Darien Gap adventure? He wrote a book about his experiences, "Obsessions Die Hard." He was also a fixture for years on the rally circuit where he would often present his slide presentation. His R80 G/S has been on loan to the BMW Zentrum in Greer, SC for the past 24 years and has now been transported to his home town in Palm Bay.

Here's more:

A very special Club Night will be held on Thursday, September 6th (5-7PM) at Power BMW in Palm Bay, FL. We are gathering to pay tribute and revisit a manís journey on the Pan American Highway. Ed Culberson was the first motorcyclist to make it through a section of the highway that to this day has remained impossible to build--the infamous Darien Gap between Panama and Columbia. Sadly, Ed suffered from ALS and passed in 1995. On loan to the BMW Museum for the past 24 years, Edís 1981 R80 G/S, ďAmigo,Ē has returned to Palm Bay. It is now at Power BMW and will be unveiled Thursday evening. A digitized version of the journey, narrated by Ed, will be shown throughout the evening. Food and refreshments will be available. A repeat presentation will be two days later on Saturday at 11:00 a.m. Additional info at: spacecoastbmwriders.org
    Ed
    MOA# 19152
    Florida's Space Coast
    R1200GSW, Aprilia Scarabeo 50 2T

Wow. I wish I could be there, but that is also my mom's 93rd birthday. Ed was a special guy and I treasure having known him.

The stories he could tell would probably not hold a candle to the stories he COULD NOT tell from his work in the Army.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Ed's bike was at the AMA Vintage Days in 1995. Here is a photo that I took -

BIKE10.jpg

His book "Obsessions Die Hard" is available from Amazon in paperback for around $9

https://www.amazon.com/Obsessions-Di...+culberson+bmw

Nice photo. It didn't look like that a couple of weeks ago when it was on my lift. LINK

Yeah, the books are still around. Some guy on eBay has one listed for $85.95! I read a draft copy back in 1990. I read it again last week and enjoyed it even more. Different time/life perspective I suppose.
    Ed
    MOA# 19152
    Florida's Space Coast
    R1200GSW, Aprilia Scarabeo 50 2T

[QUOTE=robsryder;1140590]
    BIKE10.jpg

Wow! I bought Ed's book right out of that orange box on the back rack... and he autographed it for me at my very first MOA rally in DuQuoin. I was attracted to the bike, because I had one just like it.

He was, imo, the embodiment of the adventure spirit and the guy I credit most for me getting into this style of riding.

Great post, Ed J... and it is an honor to see you here, too.

I'm sitting here wondering if I can make it down to your club's presentation.....

Ian
    Last edited by Visian; 09-03-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imintman View Post
    Nice photo. It didn't look like that a couple of weeks ago when it was on my lift. LINK

Yeah, the books are still around. Some guy on eBay has one listed for $85.95! I read a draft copy back in 1990. I read it again last week and enjoyed it even more. Different time/life perspective I suppose.
    Very nice
    I hope people can see to click on that link you provided. Great work.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200