• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ed Culberson's R80 G/S "Amigo" Presentation (Sept 6th & 8th)

Ed_Jorgensen

Do any of you remember Ed Culberson and his Darien Gap adventure? He wrote a book about his experiences, "Obsessions Die Hard." He was also a fixture for years on the rally circuit where he would often present his slide presentation. His R80 G/S has been on loan to the BMW Zentrum in Greer, SC for the past 24 years and has now been transported to his home town in Palm Bay.

Here's more:

A very special Club Night will be held on Thursday, September 6th (5-7PM) at Power BMW in Palm Bay, FL. We are gathering to pay tribute and revisit a man’s journey on the Pan American Highway. Ed Culberson was the first motorcyclist to make it through a section of the highway that to this day has remained impossible to build--the infamous Darien Gap between Panama and Columbia. Sadly, Ed suffered from ALS and passed in 1995. On loan to the BMW Museum for the past 24 years, Ed’s 1981 R80 G/S, “Amigo,” has returned to Palm Bay. It is now at Power BMW and will be unveiled Thursday evening. A digitized version of the journey, narrated by Ed, will be shown throughout the evening. Food and refreshments will be available. A repeat presentation will be two days later on Saturday at 11:00 a.m. Additional info at: spacecoastbmwriders.org

Wow. I wish I could be there, but that is also my mom's 93rd birthday. Ed was a special guy and I treasure having known him.

The stories he could tell would probably not hold a candle to the stories he COULD NOT tell from his work in the Army.

Nice photo. It didn't look like that a couple of weeks ago when it was on my lift. LINK

Yeah, the books are still around. Some guy on eBay has one listed for $85.95! I read a draft copy back in 1990. I read it again last week and enjoyed it even more. Different time/life perspective I suppose.

View attachment 70050

Wow! I bought Ed's book right out of that orange box on the back rack... and he autographed it for me at my very first MOA rally in DuQuoin. I was attracted to the bike, because I had one just like it.

He was, imo, the embodiment of the adventure spirit and the guy I credit most for me getting into this style of riding.

Great post, Ed J... and it is an honor to see you here, too.

I'm sitting here wondering if I can make it down to your club's presentation..... :thumb

Ian

Last edited:
Nice photo. It didn't look like that a couple of weeks ago when it was on my lift. LINK

Yeah, the books are still around. Some guy on eBay has one listed for $85.95! I read a draft copy back in 1990. I read it again last week and enjoyed it even more. Different time/life perspective I suppose.

Very nice :thumb
I hope people can see to click on that link you provided. Great work.
Gary

Back