• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My local dealer

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Once again my local BMW dealer has let me down. A lost ground has rendered my sidecar brake lights inoperable. After trying for a few days to find the fault I finally gave up and called the Essex VT dealer. Spoke with the owner's son, Kam, who is a pretty decent man and if he ran the shop their reputation would be stellar. Arranged to have it dropped off Tuesday.

Got a call yesterday from the owner, Lord Farquaad, who told me he doesn't work on sidecar rigs. If he had stopped right there I could have accepted it. Small shop, limited space, hard time hanging onto good techs. But he went on to say there were complicated electronic components on the sidecar that controlled things like the brake lights. Once again he's trying to blow smoke. Those "complicated electronics" are called splices. This is the same guy who told me my warranty would be voided because I installed a Stebel horn, Skene P3 lights, and Clearwater Lights...all of which were "proven to have caused catastrophic CANBUS failures."

There's a reason I travel five hours each way to have Max BMW take care of my rides!

Some of these “old” dealers don’t seem to get it. I had sent the F-800GS in for a front tire and oil and filter. The bike came back with the service light still on :scratch
I asked why and was told I didn’t request the bike to be hooked to the computer :scratch
I can’t believe anyone expects to have their just serviced bike returned with the service light on. If they had any sense the could say “oil and filter comes with service light reset and costs $XX.”
As for proving out the ground, you can electrically join the two with a battery jumper cable and work your way along. Chances are this is a vibration sensitive issue.
Good luck.
Gary

I can’t believe anyone expects to have their just serviced bike returned with the service light on. If they had any sense the could say “oil and filter comes with service light reset and costs $XX.”

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I shifted to supporting the local private shop in town with no warranty left and recalls complete. However I still buy all my parts and supplies for the work I do myself from the dealer to at least keep some relationship with the people who work there. Also wander through the new bikes a few times a year. :)

Max in NH is great, I travel about three hours from my home out on Outer Cape Cod. I go passed 2 other dealers to get there and it's worth it. The best thing is for the spring service they pick the bike up and deliver it back to my shed. Excellent service and great guys to shoot the breeze with too.

Proper service

Call Bud Provin at: 802-483-2460. He's in Vermont and knows what he's doing at a one man shop!

Back