• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cannonball Run 2018

I rode up to the Tuesday 11 Sept 2018 evening stop in Bowling Green, Ohio. Following are a few photos of the bikes, riders, and crowd -

cb18-1.jpgcb18-2.jpgcb18-3.jpgcb18-4.jpg

Along to way to watch the Cannonball 2018 stop in Bowling Green, Ohio I stopped in at Brim's in Kenton, Ohio. One could buy a bike suitable for a future Cannonball Run -

brim18-1.jpg

This is a worthwhile place to stop for a bit if in the area -

https://www.brimsimport.com/

One can find newer bikes at Brim's also -

brim18-2.jpg

Brim's still has plenty of bikes that meet the pre-1929 date.

brim18-3.jpgbrim18-4.jpg

In many instances the bikes have interesting stories associated with them. For example, the 1925 Harley in the above picture was purchased new by a feller that had just gotten married. His wife did not want him to have a bike. He couldn't bring himself to sell the bike, so he disassembled the bike and stored it in the attic of his mother's house. In 1964 the bike was discovered by a subsequent relative and assembled, but not ridden. It remained in a garage for about another 50 years until an estate sale. Brim obtained the bike and the story of the bike's history. I asked the price and began thinking about the next Cannonball Run - fortunately sanity returned :)

There are just so many bikes like I used to own, or wished I'd owned. Tom Brim said that George Barber (of the Barber Museum https://www.barbermuseum.org/the-museum/barber-story) contacted him after the story in Rider came out. It sounds like they had quite a conversation.

Here are a few more of the newer bikes at Brim's -

brim18-5.jpgbrim18-6.jpgbrim18-7.jpgbrim18-8.jpgbrim18-9.jpg

Before the Cannonball riders started coming in Tuesday evening (11 Sept) folks were coming in to watch. Some were riding interesting bikes.

Below is a Janus bike. https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/
This is a 250 cc new bike, made to resemble an old bike. The rider and her husband were dressed in period appropriate clothes.

cb18-5.jpg

It also appeared that there were some folks riding old bikes, but not actually part of the Cannonball Run. These bikes were parked nearby, but not with the Cannonball Run bikes.

cb18-6.jpg

[HD] Sprint 250/350 made in ITALY

Known in that fair land as the Aermacchi 250/350 (because it was an Italian bike to start with, not a Harley Davidson); they sold 50% of their production to HD. Aermacchi built motorcycles following WWII and finally sold the production to AMF HD. They made better aircraft...

One more day. Thanks to all for photos and insights.

Yesterday day a 1915 Single cylinder was in the front. Different kinda scoring.

What an amazing event.

I’ve been following the day after on Antique Motorcycle Club of America.

Great stuff. Eh? I wish I was in Portland for the Finish.

Charlie

One more day. Thanks to all for photos and insights.

Yesterday day a 1915 Single cylinder was in the front. Different kinda scoring.

What an amazing event.

I’ve been following the day after on Antique Motorcycle Club of America.

Great stuff. Eh? I wish I was in Portland for the Finish.

Charlie

I've had a hard time finding updates about the ride.
Is this the bike in the lead?

attachment.php

Back