• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cannonball Run 2018

Bummer

The Arkport, NY lunch stop was canceled, skipped over. The bikes were being trailered to the next stop.

There were a lot of disappointed people. The bike shop, Arkport Cycles, did provide lunch for everyone. Still, how many chances does one get to actually see and hear antique bikes in motion, as opposed to seeing them in a static display?

Bummer...

Lots of mechanical carnage yesterday, and a fire...amazing what some of the teams have to fight through.

I stopped for lunch in Amsterdam, NY yesterday on my way home from the Green Mtn Rally and shared the parking lot with a couple of the bikes. They certainly have a unique sound.

IMG_8465-L.jpg

IMG_8467-L.jpg

I could not find the list of the official lunch stops on the Cannonball website.
I called the Harley shop in Mason City Iowa and asked if they are the lunch stop for Friday.
The guy who answered the phone thought the bikes would stop there, but he was not sure :dunno

Anyone know for sure if Harley Davidson of Mason City is the official lunch stop.
Hate to ride 400 miles round trip and find I went to the wrong place.

Here is the official site and riders list. http://motorcyclecannonball.com/riders/

I was in Portland on Thursday and stopped at the registration/tech inspection site.

Met Daryl Richman and his 1928 R52 (#23).

rDSCN1315.jpg

There was another BMW (#54), a 1926 R42, operated by another that I did not meet (Brent Hansen?).

rDSCN1314.jpg

A third BMW is listed (#58), with Norm Nelson aboard, but I did not see him or the bike.

I was disappointed to not see any of the Henderson 4's, but did meet the owner/driver and passenger of this very cool Indian rig (#31).

rDSCN1323.jpg

There were a lot of Harleys with some very elaborate support vehicles.

I thought this one was very attractive.

rDSCN1330.jpg

Cool headlight.

rDSCN1331.jpg

Then off to the Green Mountain Rally.

What is the best website to get current info and pictures? I can't even read the results sheet on the Cannonball website.

I could not find the list of the official lunch stops on the Cannonball website.
I called the Harley shop in Mason City Iowa and asked if they are the lunch stop for Friday.
The guy who answered the phone thought the bikes would stop there, but he was not sure :dunno

Anyone know for sure if Harley Davidson of Mason City is the official lunch stop.
Hate to ride 400 miles round trip and find I went to the wrong place.

I think the Motorcycle Museum is a safe bet.

Joe

I think the Motorcycle Museum is a safe bet.

Joe

With the riders arriving between 4 and 6 at Anamosa or Spirit Lake I would not return home until late.
The deer are big and plentiful around here.
If I went to Mason City I can return home at a hour where I can still see the deer.
I'm surprised the website does not list all the lunch stops. Maybe it does and I'm not looking in the right place.

What is the best website to get current info and pictures? I can't even read the results sheet on the Cannonball website.

Jim, the "motorcyclecannonball.com" website is very poorly designed, but it does have lots of pictures and some stories about the first three stages. If you enlarge the text to 175% (on a high-res monitor), you can just make out the names on the score sheets. (Erik Bahl is still listed 25th, and hasn't dropped a point yet).

Keep clicking on the "more" button on the bottom for more stories. Recent stories seem to be on the front page, older stories are later, down several clicks.

Today I can see the info on the Cannonball website.

Friday, September 14
Harley-Davidson of Mason City
[Motorcycle Cannonball]
Come see the Motorcycle Cannonball riders and to get your Official Motorcycle Cannonball Merchandise on Friday, September 14 at Harley-Davidson of Mason City, IA
which is the Official Motorcycle Cannonball Lunch stop for Stage 7 of competition.

Riders will start arriving at approximately 11:00 am and will be on display until approx 12:30 pm.

https://www.harleyofmasoncity.com/

Rode up to Mason City Iowa today to see the bikes at the lunch stop.
I arrived at 10:40 and the first rider rolled in at 10:45.

20180914_104541.jpg

P1040581.jpg

P1040580.jpg

P1040584.jpg

P1040587.jpg

P1040589.jpg

Noticed quite a few bikes had bicycle headlights, taillights and bicycle computers or bicycle GPSs
This guy had a bicycle GPS.
P1040590.jpg

P1040591.jpg

Spotted one female rider.
P1040593.jpg

P1040594.jpg

A couple BMWs
P1040596.jpg

P1040597.jpg

P1040599.jpg

The long frame Hendersons were interesting.
P1040603.jpg

Continued

P1040604.jpg

P1040605.jpg

P1040607.jpg

P1040610.jpg

P1040611.jpg

P1040612.jpg

P1040613.jpg

P1040614.jpg

I saw several riders working on their bikes.
Theses guys were smart and moved into the shop to get out of the sun.

P1040615.jpg

Good weather day for the riders. It was 85 and partly cloudy when I was at Mason City.
My bike showed 91 when I rode through Des Moines on the way home, but I'm guessing northern Iowa stayed in the mid 80 as the riders rode to Spirit Lake Iowa.

I had guessed the route would try to stay on county roads, but a couple riders told me they were on hwy 218 which is a main highway and mentioned it was not pleasant for some of the riders who had top speeds of 45 or 50 mph.

Fantastic, Lee; thanks.

I imagine most of the riders have elaborate pre ride check lists to go through. It must take a long time to learn some of these machines.

Back