• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is top Speed limited on K16B?

was riding w/ some friends (one on a Harley, and the other on a 600cc Honda w/ his wife on the back). they take off down the highway, and I accelerate to follow. Then nothing ... no acceleration, no torque ... looks down at my speedometer ... 101 MPH.

Kind of embarrassing, that my brand new BMW, w/ 6 cylinders, 160 HP, 1.6 liter engine, can't keep up w/ a 15 year old 600 cc Honda w/ 2 riders.

:huh :gerg :violin

You didn't know this going in? I'm just amazed that someone buys a new bike and either the salesman or through your own research that you don't understand specs about your bike. Big money spent to later realize it won't go above 101

You didn't know this going in? I'm just amazed that someone buys a new bike and either the salesman or through your own research that you don't understand specs about your bike. Big money spent to later realize it won't go above 101

To be fair the Grand America was out quite awhile before I heard it had a limited top speed.
I usually don't look at the top speed quoted on the BMW website because they don't show top speeds.
They usually say over a certain speed. The K16000B and S1000RR both show Maximum Speed over 125 MPH and we all know the RR will go much faster than 125.
The Grand America does show a Maximum Speed but that would be easy to miss.

To be fair the Grand America was out quite awhile before I heard it had a limited top speed.
I usually don't look at the top speed quoted on the BMW website because they don't show top speeds.
They usually say over a certain speed. The K16000B and S1000RR both show Maximum Speed over 125 MPH and we all know the RR will go much faster than 125.
The Grand America does show a Maximum Speed but that would be easy to miss.

I pretty much spend a few hours a day on k1600forum so it's been talked about before they were even released. I can see how someone who isn't a researcher might miss that fact.
And a funny fact, all BMW bikes show "top speed, 125mph" unless they are less than that.

It's something I may have missed myself if I wasn't a researcher by trade. No one should be running 100mph to begin with so top speed is really a non starter for me. My GS may do 120 or it may do 110 or it may do 101mph. In any case, it wouldn't matter one twit to me, I don't push a bike that fast no matter how much it's rated top speed is

The guy who didn't know his B would only do 101 should have never found out to begin with IMO

It's something I may have missed myself if I wasn't a researcher by trade. No one should be running 100mph to begin with so top speed is really a non starter for me. My GS may do 120 or it may do 110 or it may do 101mph. In any case, it wouldn't matter one twit to me, I don't push a bike that fast no matter how much it's rated top speed is

The guy who didn't know his B would only do 101 should have never found out to begin with IMO

Well, he did and he was shocked.
So, you are a fan of speed limiters? Do you think a bike should only go as fast as the speed limit and nothing more?

So, you are a fan of speed limiters? Do you think a bike should only go as fast as the speed limit and nothing more?

Where, in the western hemisphere, is the speed limit as high as 101 mph? Just curious since you imply that some bike is speed limited to a posted speed limit somewhere. I get you don't like speed limiters. On my G310GS it is a non-issue by the way. Displacement and horsepower do the limiting job quite nicely. No gizmos needed. :)

The real fundamental question is why did BMW believe limiting the speed on this model is necessary. What is wrong with the bike requiring that a speed limiter be used?

I think driving to endanger [ which 100 mph is anywhere in the US ] is reckless. In fact, every state believes it's a criminal act. Most tickets are civil infractions but one can move into the criminal side of excessive speed.

As I stated, if I'm never going to involve myself in a criminal act on purpose by moving the motor into a criminal offense, then whether the bike can do 90, 100, or 150 mph is a non issue for me. Unless one just wants bragging rights that "my motor is faster than your motor" which, IMO, is a bunch of horse sheet egotistical banter.

So, a quick tale of that mentality. Two leo's younguns I worked with [ mid 20's while I was mid 40's ] who had rice rockets showed up at the house late one night and challenged me that they would show the old man who had the fastest bike. I was on the k100rs at the time. So we went out and I ran through some twisties back roads in the dark. We all knew the road we were on.

I put one of them into the woods trying to keep up, the other nearly so on that hairpin. He was injured, but more ego injured than physically. When we caught up with one another a few days later at shift change, I smiled and told both of them they may have a faster bike, but they don't know how to ride. They got the message. Brag to me your bike is faster than mine, fine. Top speed is NOT an indication of rider skills which is far more important than what the bike will do top end when you can't go the without being a criminal.

I have a limiter on my 2012 r1200GS, it's in the form of my right wrist. Same limiter I've had on every bike I've owned :)

Where, in the western hemisphere, is the speed limit as high as 101 mph? Just curious since you imply that some bike is speed limited to a posted speed limit somewhere. I get you don't like speed limiters. On my G310GS it is a non-issue by the way. Displacement and horsepower do the limiting job quite nicely. No gizmos needed. :)

The real fundamental question is why did BMW believe limiting the speed on this model is necessary. What is wrong with the bike requiring that a speed limiter be used?
The K16B is limited because it has a fixed top case, floorboards and lowered rear end which makes it unstable at speeds over 100MPH

I think driving to endanger [ which 100 mph is anywhere in the US ] is reckless. In fact, every state believes it's a criminal act. Most tickets are civil infractions but one can move into the criminal side of excessive speed.

As I stated, if I'm never going to involve myself in a criminal act on purpose by moving the motor into a criminal offense, then whether the bike can do 90, 100, or 150 mph is a non issue for me. Unless one just wants bragging rights that "my motor is faster than your motor" which, IMO, is a bunch of horse sheet egotistical banter.

So, a quick tale of that mentality. Two leo's younguns I worked with [ mid 20's while I was mid 40's ] who had rice rockets showed up at the house late one night and challenged me that they would show the old man who had the fastest bike. I was on the k100rs at the time. So we went out and I ran through some twisties back roads in the dark. We all knew the road we were on.

I put one of them into the woods trying to keep up, the other nearly so on that hairpin. He was injured, but more ego injured than physically. When we caught up with one another a few days later at shift change, I smiled and told both of them they may have a faster bike, but they don't know how to ride. They got the message. Brag to me your bike is faster than mine, fine. Top speed is NOT an indication of rider skills which is far more important than what the bike will do top end when you can't go the without being a criminal.

I have a limiter on my 2012 r1200GS, it's in the form of my right wrist. Same limiter I've had on every bike I've owned :)
So, horse sheet egotistical banter you say?? :scratch

The K16B is limited because it has a fixed top case, floorboards and lowered rear end which makes it unstable at speeds over 100MPH

So, horse sheet egotistical banter you say?? :scratch

That's right, mine is bigger than yours, mine is faster than yours, all that banter is nothing but ego and bragging rights. If you disagree, that's fine with me. I'm not the one out there violating the law criminally.

:dunno

Ha!

Maybe BMW should put the 310 engine in a 1600B frame and body.
You’d have the best of both worlds, a big, cool-looking comfy cruiser with no need for electronic speed limiter to keep it safe!

Seriously, i’ve often wished bikes with smaller engines were available in larger frames. It’s impossible for some of us old guys to fold up to fit on some smaller displacement bikes. Cruisers and scooters are easier on the knees for sure.

Ha!

Maybe BMW should put the 310 engine in a 1600B frame and body.
You’d have the best of both worlds, a big, cool-looking comfy cruiser with no need for electronic speed limiter to keep it safe!

Seriously, i’ve often wished bikes with smaller engines were available in larger frames. It’s impossible for some of us old guys to fold up to fit on some smaller displacement bikes. Cruisers and scooters are easier on the knees for sure.

You might be surprised at the physical size of the G310GS. It is not a small bike. Not small, but not big either.

Ever been on European highways or some roads out west? Maybe a vespa is more your speed.

No where anymore. I think there were some roads in Montana that had no day time speed limits at one time. That said, there are some roads here that going 65 is interminable. Europe is a whole other deal. They haul ass pretty well. I know of one chap that would flat out his k1600 on the way to BMW of San Jose from show low for some time. That must have been an exciting ride.

Ever been on European highways or some roads out west? Maybe a vespa is more your speed.

I live 30 miles from you. Roads out west, I'd think so.

Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits. The highest posted speed limit in the country is 85 mph (137 km/h) and can be found only on Texas State Highway 130.

So around here it's 65, I hold to 8 over the posted speed. Which would indicate from the above that 93mph would be the most I'd ride the motor. I have no idea what the bike is capable of top speed, as I'd never be over 93 on any road in the US.

You've apparently ASSumed I ride like an old lady, and incorrectly at that. 8 over the posted speed gets you a pass everywhere on an interstate in the US. What I'm not doing is violating criminal code by traveling 85 in a 65 here. It's a class 3 misdemeanor to travel at 20 mph or more over the speed limit, or at higher than 85 mph in Arizona. This type of speeding violation in Arizona carries a much higher fine and possible jail time or driver's license suspension.

I really don't care how fast any motor I've owned will do top end, as long as it will do 8 over the posted limit, which it will, anywhere in the US. All of them have met that expectation. So a bike with a limiter of 101 on it would be of NO concern to me, nor should it be for anyone in the US as even in the highest mph's in rare locales across the west, 101 is driving to endanger and a criminal offense.

I appreciate your recommendation of a Vespa, do you know of any that will top out at 93, just in case I find myself on that section of the Texas state highway at 8 over? :dunno

I live 30 miles from you. Roads out west, I'd think so.

Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits. The highest posted speed limit in the country is 85 mph (137 km/h) and can be found only on Texas State Highway 130.

So around here it's 65, I hold to 8 over the posted speed. Which would indicate from the above that 93mph would be the most I'd ride the motor. I have no idea what the bike is capable of top speed, as I'd never be over 93 on any road in the US.

You've apparently ASSumed I ride like an old lady, and incorrectly at that. 8 over the posted speed gets you a pass everywhere on an interstate in the US. What I'm not doing is violating criminal code by traveling 85 in a 65 here. It's a class 3 misdemeanor to travel at 20 mph or more over the speed limit, or at higher than 85 mph in Arizona. This type of speeding violation in Arizona carries a much higher fine and possible jail time or driver's license suspension.

I really don't care how fast any motor I've owned will do top end, as long as it will do 8 over the posted limit, which it will, anywhere in the US. All of them have met that expectation. So a bike with a limiter of 101 on it would be of NO concern to me, nor should it be for anyone in the US as even in the highest mph's in rare locales across the west, 101 is driving to endanger and a criminal offense.

I appreciate your recommendation of a Vespa, do you know of any that will top out at 93, just in case I find myself on that section of the Texas state highway at 8 over? :dunno

You just like to follow rules. I tend to stick to the 7-8 over, but I will hit it from time to time. Eyes wide open. I accept responsibility for whatever I do and I've been on the autobahn and autostrada too. 93 can get you run off the road in some places for being in the way. I don't know the top speed of my RT, but I've hit 115 without a problem. A limiter could be a concern if you have some idiot chasing you down for whatever reason, for instance in a pickup with a speed limited of 108 and you can't outrun him. It's not that I or anyone else goes that fast all the time or often, but to have the reserve just in case or just because. Shoot, a HD can go faster.

I don't cruise at speeds over 100 mph but going over 100 when passing is common.

No where anymore. I think there were some roads in Montana that had no day time speed limits at one time.

That Montana speed limit was "reasonable and prudent" back when Tricky Dickie and friends established the nationwide 55 mph speed limit to save resources. In Montana exceeding 55 might have gotten you a $5 fine, not considered a traffic violation, for wasting resources. The "reasonable and prudent" standard left lots of room for officer discretion but generally a rider/driver was OK up to 79 but 80 might get you a ticket. Note that most everywhere else 55 was the rule but it was often ignored. Imagine trying to go the 879 miles of I-10 across Texas at 55 mph. Excruciating! :banghead

Somewhere, somebody on this Forum still has an IBMWR T shirt from the 1998 Missoula Montana rally - which read, "By night 56K, by day Reasonable and Prudent." In late 1998 the Montana Supreme Court struck down the reasonable and prudent speed limit as unreasonably vague. Rudy Stanko, the guy who took his $70 ticket all the way to the state supreme court had received a ticket for going 85 on a two-lane highway, Montana 200. After the law was struck down the Montana legislature adopted a 75 mph speed limit. And low and behold 5 over - 80 mph would still usually get you a ticket, just like in the old days. Funny how that worked out.

I had a 1974 Monte Carlo. My mom lived SW of Glacier Park. My girlfriend and I went out there in 1977, drove like crazy all the way out and back. On the way home, right before I hit the ND state line, running on Hwy 2, I crested a hill doing 95 MPH and on the other side were three Montana highway patrol. No way they could have missed me, too late to bother to slow down. I rolled on by and never saw them again.

Back