Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is top Speed limited on K16B?

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhipper View Post
    Buddy has the K1600B Grand America and it is indeed limited to 101 MPH.
    My old K75 and F650 Dakar can do better than that.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Reminds me of an event down in Florida during Bikeweek in the early 90's. Was at the Bulow Campground. I watched a group of 3 bikes roll into the BMW part of the campground. They were the latest greatest top of the line touring bikes, BMW's K1100LT, Honda Goldwing 1500, and the latest at that time Harley Ultra Classic. They were all pulling trailers and were all riding 2up. As soon as they parked, they were talking about the ride down the interstate. They had gotten into a roll on contest. The LT left the other 2 behind. The Harley and Honda riders couldn't believe the Beemer had walked off and left them. It had the smallest engine, but it could out run them. If I had a 6 cylinder 1600cc dohc 4 valve head state of the art engine BMW, I think I should have at least a top speed of at least 140mph, maybe quite a bit more. What's the point of having all that and not having bragging rights to the most powerful top of the line touring bike. I guess I'm a dinosaur from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Driving to endanger is a felony charge, not a civil infraction. In some states the statute is reckless driving. In my state anything over 85 is reckless driving and a class 3 misdemeanor, 500.00 fine and up to 6 months in jail.

150 mph is 220 feet every second. Remember when you crash and burn at that illegal speed, don't cry for help afterward.
    Yeah sure. Anytime I have stretched my legs the highway I have done in on was vacant for miles. I live in an area where I can find very rural areas quickly. I have no worry about endangering someone else when there is nobody else around. Not like many of these goof balls that run triple digits in traffic. I realize the risks and it is considered at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Yeah sure. Anytime I have stretched my legs the highway I have done in on was vacant for miles. I live in an area where I can find very rural areas quickly. I have no worry about endangering someone else when there is nobody else around. Not like many of these goof balls that run triple digits in traffic. I realize the risks and it is considered at the time.
    Agree with PoorUB. Getting up to speed for brief periods on a wide open, vacant, divided highway isnít that big a deal. Itís likely way safer than riding the speed limit in any city.

Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Agree with PoorUB. Getting up to speed for brief periods on a wide open, vacant, divided highway isnít that big a deal. Itís likely way safer than riding the speed limit in any city.
    Get caught, charged with driving to endanger or reckless driving and you'll soon discover it IS a big deal with the courts.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Get caught, charged with driving to endanger or reckless driving and you'll soon discover it IS a big deal with the courts.
    We’re all big boys and girls here. Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Weíre all big boys and girls here. Thanks for your advice.
    Big boys don't drive to endanger on public roads. They know better.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    "Doing The Ton" used to be fun.....back when things were peaceful.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Speed Limits,,

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    "Doing The Ton" used to be fun.....back when things were peaceful.
    OM
    I just remembered an old phrase, the older i get the faster i was..I'm thinking that applies even more today than yesterday. Ride safe everyone.

Big boys don't drive to endanger on public roads. They know better.

I wonder how long it would take to rattle some skeletons out of your closet. I love the high and mighty guys that take the high road then next week they get hit with a DUI or some other offense.

That very deal happened to a guy I worked with. He was drilling a kid we work with that was a stunt biker. This kid would go off to the industrial park Sunday afternoons and practice stunts on the vacant city streets. This first guy was giving him crap about endangering the public, and so on. A couple weeks later the guy doing the preaching got a DUI on the way home. We found out it was his third.

[QUOTE=PoorUB;1146840]I wonder how long it would take to rattle some skeletons out of your closet.

What skeletons would you like to discuss?

I love the high and mighty guys that take the high road then next week they get hit with a DUI or some other offense.

Don't drink, let alone drink and ride/drive. Nice try, but your example below doesn't fly with this guy.

That very deal happened to a guy I worked with. He was drilling a kid we work with that was a stunt biker. This kid would go off to the industrial park Sunday afternoons and practice stunts on the vacant city streets. This first guy was giving him crap about endangering the public, and so on. A couple weeks later the guy doing the preaching got a DUI on the way home. We found out it was his third.[/QUOTE

bolded above, nor did I even hint at a suggestion I don't fracture a law or two on the roads myself. Careful with the ASSuming there bud, but the statements made are still valid observations about "driving to endanger" being a felony, not just a simple ticket. You take your chances and pay the price if caught.

3 Red Bricks
    Other than removing the limiter, it's quite possible that the tires might need to be upgraded to higher speed rating. Are there differences in windscreen attachment strength or screen size (leverage)?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thin skin detector has activated

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Other than removing the limiter, it's quite possible that the tires might need to be upgraded to higher speed rating. Are there differences in windscreen attachment strength or screen size (leverage)?

In talking with a local staff member of a dealer, there seems to be a stability issue with the bagger at speeds. Knowing that admission by BMW would open them to possible litigation, there must be a reason for the limiter. Seems there was a stop sell order for a short period as well.
    The tires are same on all models from the few I have eyeballed.

Reminds me of the powered down 1200C's. They were never going to be track bikes.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

No, they were never designed to be track bikes. Neither were Goldwings, big Harley and Indian dressers, and other bikes in this class. These are the bikes the K1600 should be able to outrun and out perform.