• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is top Speed limited on K16B?

Stay on track :)

:)
There is quite a bit going on “doing the ton” on a bike. Around here, it’s probably akin to lane splitting........the public doesn’t understand it. You all in the big speed limit areas, be careful and carry on :burnout
OM

Speed is not dignified on a cruiser or bagger. Best to go ten under the speed limit so more can admire your taste.

My understanding (and check the K1600 forums if you want the best answer) is that they are all limited.

As mentioned, GA ~100mph
Bagger and GTL ~125
GT ~160

The reason the on the for the difference with the GTL and GT was the top case, from what I understand. The GT doesn't come with one so is more stable at speed. I suspect riding position/controls and top case are whey the GA is so low. Not sure why the top case less Bagger is lower unless it is because of riding position and controls.

My understanding (and check the K1600 forums if you want the best answer) is that they are all limited.

As mentioned, GA ~100mph
Bagger and GTL ~125
GT ~160

The reason the on the for the difference with the GTL and GT was the top case, from what I understand. The GT doesn't come with one so is more stable at speed. I suspect riding position/controls and top case are whey the GA is so low. Not sure why the top case less Bagger is lower unless it is because of riding position and controls.

The GTL isn't limited to 125.

The GA is @100, the bagger @125, the GTL is @136 (~220km/h), the GT is @155(ish) (250km/h) all 4 bikes will go faster than the limiter as the engine doesn't stop pulling, it just does so with greatly reduced power.

Since the drivetrain and engine are the same in all cases the potential is there in all cases to run at GT speeds if the limits are removed. Stability is, as you say, another factor. Note that the limits are enforced at what the bike calculates as speed (speedo speed) not GPS speed. The Bagger rolls off on the dyno around 122 actual wheel speed (assuming dyno is calibrated) which is 125 (ish) Speedo, it will continue to climb in speed (on a dyno anyhow) but at very reduced power.

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bm...at/182948-k1600b-130-limit-good-bad-news.html

Instability

I have a feeling part of the instability problem is the airfoil shaped windshield. I’m looking to replace it Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My buddy has a K1600GTLE and he has tested the speed limiter a few times, 135 MPH. It seems that anything with a top case gets the top speed limited. I for one don't like the limiter. There are times I will run triple digits when riding. Get out to Montana and traffic can be sparse and good roads and I might roll on the throttle a bit. I have been over 150 MPH a few times!

My buddy has a K1600GTLE and he has tested the speed limiter a few times, 135 MPH. It seems that anything with a top case gets the top speed limited. I for one don't like the limiter. There are times I will run triple digits when riding. Get out to Montana and traffic can be sparse and good roads and I might roll on the throttle a bit. I have been over 150 MPH a few times!

Driving to endanger is a felony charge, not a civil infraction. In some states the statute is reckless driving. In my state anything over 85 is reckless driving and a class 3 misdemeanor, 500.00 fine and up to 6 months in jail.

150 mph is 220 feet every second. Remember when you crash and burn at that illegal speed, don't cry for help afterward. :)

Reminds me of an event down in Florida during Bikeweek in the early 90's. Was at the Bulow Campground. I watched a group of 3 bikes roll into the BMW part of the campground. They were the latest greatest top of the line touring bikes, BMW's K1100LT, Honda Goldwing 1500, and the latest at that time Harley Ultra Classic. They were all pulling trailers and were all riding 2up. As soon as they parked, they were talking about the ride down the interstate. They had gotten into a roll on contest. The LT left the other 2 behind. The Harley and Honda riders couldn't believe the Beemer had walked off and left them. It had the smallest engine, but it could out run them. If I had a 6 cylinder 1600cc dohc 4 valve head state of the art engine BMW, I think I should have at least a top speed of at least 140mph, maybe quite a bit more. What's the point of having all that and not having bragging rights to the most powerful top of the line touring bike. I guess I'm a dinosaur from the past. :dunno

Driving to endanger is a felony charge, not a civil infraction. In some states the statute is reckless driving. In my state anything over 85 is reckless driving and a class 3 misdemeanor, 500.00 fine and up to 6 months in jail.

150 mph is 220 feet every second. Remember when you crash and burn at that illegal speed, don't cry for help afterward. :)

Yeah sure. Anytime I have stretched my legs the highway I have done in on was vacant for miles. I live in an area where I can find very rural areas quickly. I have no worry about endangering someone else when there is nobody else around. Not like many of these goof balls that run triple digits in traffic. I realize the risks and it is considered at the time.

Yeah sure. Anytime I have stretched my legs the highway I have done in on was vacant for miles. I live in an area where I can find very rural areas quickly. I have no worry about endangering someone else when there is nobody else around. Not like many of these goof balls that run triple digits in traffic. I realize the risks and it is considered at the time.

Agree with PoorUB. Getting up to speed for brief periods on a wide open, vacant, divided highway isn’t that big a deal. It’s likely way safer than riding the speed limit in any city.

Agree with PoorUB. Getting up to speed for brief periods on a wide open, vacant, divided highway isn’t that big a deal. It’s likely way safer than riding the speed limit in any city.

Get caught, charged with driving to endanger or reckless driving and you'll soon discover it IS a big deal with the courts.

Big boys don't drive to endanger on public roads. They know better. :thumb

I wonder how long it would take to rattle some skeletons out of your closet. I love the high and mighty guys that take the high road then next week they get hit with a DUI or some other offense.

That very deal happened to a guy I worked with. He was drilling a kid we work with that was a stunt biker. This kid would go off to the industrial park Sunday afternoons and practice stunts on the vacant city streets. This first guy was giving him crap about endangering the public, and so on. A couple weeks later the guy doing the preaching got a DUI on the way home. We found out it was his third.

Back