• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is top Speed limited on K16B?

I wonder how long it would take to rattle some skeletons out of your closet.

What skeletons would you like to discuss?

I love the high and mighty guys that take the high road then next week they get hit with a DUI or some other offense.

Don't drink, let alone drink and ride/drive. Nice try, but your example below doesn't fly with this guy.

That very deal happened to a guy I worked with. He was drilling a kid we work with that was a stunt biker. This kid would go off to the industrial park Sunday afternoons and practice stunts on the vacant city streets. This first guy was giving him crap about endangering the public, and so on. A couple weeks later the guy doing the preaching got a DUI on the way home. We found out it was his third.[/QUOTE

bolded above, nor did I even hint at a suggestion I don't fracture a law or two on the roads myself. Careful with the ASSuming there bud, but the statements made are still valid observations about "driving to endanger" being a felony, not just a simple ticket. You take your chances and pay the price if caught.

Other than removing the limiter, it's quite possible that the tires might need to be upgraded to higher speed rating. Are there differences in windscreen attachment strength or screen size (leverage)?

:dance:dance:dance

Other than removing the limiter, it's quite possible that the tires might need to be upgraded to higher speed rating. Are there differences in windscreen attachment strength or screen size (leverage)?

:dance:dance:dance

In talking with a local staff member of a dealer, there seems to be a stability issue with the bagger at speeds. Knowing that admission by BMW would open them to possible litigation, there must be a reason for the limiter. Seems there was a stop sell order for a short period as well.
The tires are same on all models from the few I have eyeballed.

Reminds me of the powered down 1200C's. They were never going to be track bikes.

No, they were never designed to be track bikes. Neither were Goldwings, big Harley and Indian dressers, and other bikes in this class. These are the bikes the K1600 should be able to outrun and out perform.

Read that there’s a 101 mph limiter on this bike. Can anyone confirm? Can it be defeated (after warranty runs out of course)?
Thx

No limited top speed on the K1600B only on the K1600B grand America.
I own the Grand America 2018 and i realy do not like that!!!

I believe there is a stability issue on the k16 with top box at higher velocities, hence the limiter.
101 seems pretty fast to me here in the US where the max speed limit is 85 or so.
Not sure i would want to be anywhere near one going faster than that.

I believe there is a stability issue on the k16 with top box at higher velocities, hence the limiter.
101 seems pretty fast to me here in the US where the max speed limit is 85 or so.
Not sure i would want to be anywhere near one going faster than that.

I have a K16GT, there are certainly NO stability issues over 101 (or 130)MPH with top box installed. It's the ergonomics of the lower back end and floor boards on the GA that can cause issues at higher speeds.

I have a K16GT, there are certainly NO stability issues over 101 (or 130)MPH with top box installed. It's the ergonomics of the lower back end and floor boards on the GA that can cause issues at higher speeds.

Thank you. I forgot about the floorboards.

Guzzi used to own a wind tunnel that others could rent. I wonder if it is still operational?

This thread reminds me of the saying about aircraft pilots.

“There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots”.

Peace ...

Last edited:
3 digits

Certainly agree,
I have experienced no issues with my K16GT over the +100mph (on the GPS which is more accurate than the speedo) with top box in place.
I'm amused by the "lecture" on expensive tickets, seriously I didn't buy a +$25,000 highly engineered motorcycle without the ability to cover the cost of my misconduct should I be unfortunate to be apprehended for my transgression.
Safe riding can take place at higher speeds, and its fun too!
I ride by the philosophy "don't endanger others and ride with the awareness that everyone else on the road doesn't share the same philosophy".

Certainly agree,
I have experienced no issues with my K16GT over the +100mph (on the GPS which is more accurate than the speedo) with top box in place.
I'm amused by the "lecture" on expensive tickets, seriously I didn't buy a +$25,000 highly engineered motorcycle without the ability to cover the cost of my misconduct should I be unfortunate to be apprehended for my transgression.
Safe riding can take place at higher speeds, and its fun too!
I ride by the philosophy "don't endanger others and ride with the awareness that everyone else on the road doesn't share the same philosophy".

I'm glad you are rich, but don't speed too fast in Canada. I'm told they will simply impound the bike. Bye Bye bike.

Our '19 K1600GT Sport has no stability problems ridden two up with bags, trunk and tank bag.

When one of our Club Members remarked that his Bagger gets wobbly over 100 mph, I was curious. Would our K1600GT Sport exhibit any high speed problems?

Doing a buck-and-a-quarter with bags, trunk, tank bag and Wanda pillion our GT Sport was as smooth and controlled as could be.

And there was a lot more throttle/RPM left!

These are awesome bikes...even if the electrical system is defective ;)

I'm glad you are rich, but don't speed too fast in Canada. I'm told they will simply impound the bike. Bye Bye bike.

Paul---"rich" is hard to define these days, I feel "rich" having the experience to ride each day....don't really want to use the forum for a debate, but that statement who ever told you is not correct.
Canada has 10 Provinces & 3 Territories all have different levels of fines for speeding..."impounding" a motor vehicle...bike/auto/truck doesn't come automatically in any of these areas at a certainly amount over the posted limit.

My point was more ride safe for the conditions and have some fun too.

Wisdom of an experienced Motorcyclist ...

... I ride by the philosophy "don't endanger others and ride with the awareness that everyone else on the road doesn't share the same philosophy".

Thats good stuff Tundrahawk.

Paul---"rich" is hard to define these days, I feel "rich" having the experience to ride each day....don't really want to use the forum for a debate, but that statement who ever told you is not correct.
Canada has 10 Provinces & 3 Territories all have different levels of fines for speeding..."impounding" a motor vehicle...bike/auto/truck doesn't come automatically in any of these areas at a certainly amount over the posted limit.

My point was more ride safe for the conditions and have some fun too.

Speeding ticket fines in Alberta are based on the exact number of km/hr over the speed limit you are clocked at. ... 16-30 km/hr over : $140 - $239. 31-50 km/hr over : $253 - $474. 51+ km/hr over : $650 - $2000, plus the potential for a driver's license suspension. The police may also deem you should be charged with Careless driving or Racing which come with extra (similar) penalties. These penalties do not include the 15% victim tax which are normally assessed for the top levels and the careless driving and racing charges. Under the Suspended Drivers Program, drivers stopped by a peace officer and found to have their operator's licence suspended will have the vehicle they were driving seized and impounded for a period of 30 days. If the vehicle seizure involves the same suspended driver and owner within a three-year window, the seizure period is 60 days.

It would be most difficult to ride anywhere if your license is suspended and/or motorcycle impounded. The walk, bus or Uber to the courthouse may also be several hundred kilometres.

As everywhere, if one wants to go that fast, find a track and have fun.

Sigh ... 101 MPH on K1600B-GA

was riding w/ some friends (one on a Harley, and the other on a 600cc Honda w/ his wife on the back). they take off down the highway, and I accelerate to follow. Then nothing ... no acceleration, no torque ... looks down at my speedometer ... 101 MPH.

Kind of embarrassing, that my brand new BMW, w/ 6 cylinders, 160 HP, 1.6 liter engine, can't keep up w/ a 15 year old 600 cc Honda w/ 2 riders.

:huh :gerg :violin

Back