Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Is top Speed limited on K16B?

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Ever been on European highways or some roads out west? Maybe a vespa is more your speed.
    I live 30 miles from you. Roads out west, I'd think so.

Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits. The highest posted speed limit in the country is 85 mph (137 km/h) and can be found only on Texas State Highway 130.

So around here it's 65, I hold to 8 over the posted speed. Which would indicate from the above that 93mph would be the most I'd ride the motor. I have no idea what the bike is capable of top speed, as I'd never be over 93 on any road in the US.

You've apparently ASSumed I ride like an old lady, and incorrectly at that. 8 over the posted speed gets you a pass everywhere on an interstate in the US. What I'm not doing is violating criminal code by traveling 85 in a 65 here. It's a class 3 misdemeanor to travel at 20 mph or more over the speed limit, or at higher than 85 mph in Arizona. This type of speeding violation in Arizona carries a much higher fine and possible jail time or driver's license suspension.

I really don't care how fast any motor I've owned will do top end, as long as it will do 8 over the posted limit, which it will, anywhere in the US. All of them have met that expectation. So a bike with a limiter of 101 on it would be of NO concern to me, nor should it be for anyone in the US as even in the highest mph's in rare locales across the west, 101 is driving to endanger and a criminal offense.

I appreciate your recommendation of a Vespa, do you know of any that will top out at 93, just in case I find myself on that section of the Texas state highway at 8 over?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    I live 30 miles from you. Roads out west, I'd think so.

Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits. The highest posted speed limit in the country is 85 mph (137 km/h) and can be found only on Texas State Highway 130.

So around here it's 65, I hold to 8 over the posted speed. Which would indicate from the above that 93mph would be the most I'd ride the motor. I have no idea what the bike is capable of top speed, as I'd never be over 93 on any road in the US.

You've apparently ASSumed I ride like an old lady, and incorrectly at that. 8 over the posted speed gets you a pass everywhere on an interstate in the US. What I'm not doing is violating criminal code by traveling 85 in a 65 here. It's a class 3 misdemeanor to travel at 20 mph or more over the speed limit, or at higher than 85 mph in Arizona. This type of speeding violation in Arizona carries a much higher fine and possible jail time or driver's license suspension.

I really don't care how fast any motor I've owned will do top end, as long as it will do 8 over the posted limit, which it will, anywhere in the US. All of them have met that expectation. So a bike with a limiter of 101 on it would be of NO concern to me, nor should it be for anyone in the US as even in the highest mph's in rare locales across the west, 101 is driving to endanger and a criminal offense.

I appreciate your recommendation of a Vespa, do you know of any that will top out at 93, just in case I find myself on that section of the Texas state highway at 8 over?
    You just like to follow rules. I tend to stick to the 7-8 over, but I will hit it from time to time. Eyes wide open. I accept responsibility for whatever I do and I've been on the autobahn and autostrada too. 93 can get you run off the road in some places for being in the way. I don't know the top speed of my RT, but I've hit 115 without a problem. A limiter could be a concern if you have some idiot chasing you down for whatever reason, for instance in a pickup with a speed limited of 108 and you can't outrun him. It's not that I or anyone else goes that fast all the time or often, but to have the reserve just in case or just because. Shoot, a HD can go faster.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I don't cruise at speeds over 100 mph but going over 100 when passing is common.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

No where anymore. I think there were some roads in Montana that had no day time speed limits at one time.
    That Montana speed limit was "reasonable and prudent" back when Tricky Dickie and friends established the nationwide 55 mph speed limit to save resources. In Montana exceeding 55 might have gotten you a $5 fine, not considered a traffic violation, for wasting resources. The "reasonable and prudent" standard left lots of room for officer discretion but generally a rider/driver was OK up to 79 but 80 might get you a ticket. Note that most everywhere else 55 was the rule but it was often ignored. Imagine trying to go the 879 miles of I-10 across Texas at 55 mph. Excruciating!

Somewhere, somebody on this Forum still has an IBMWR T shirt from the 1998 Missoula Montana rally - which read, "By night 56K, by day Reasonable and Prudent." In late 1998 the Montana Supreme Court struck down the reasonable and prudent speed limit as unreasonably vague. Rudy Stanko, the guy who took his $70 ticket all the way to the state supreme court had received a ticket for going 85 on a two-lane highway, Montana 200. After the law was struck down the Montana legislature adopted a 75 mph speed limit. And low and behold 5 over - 80 mph would still usually get you a ticket, just like in the old days. Funny how that worked out.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I had a 1974 Monte Carlo. My mom lived SW of Glacier Park. My girlfriend and I went out there in 1977, drove like crazy all the way out and back. On the way home, right before I hit the ND state line, running on Hwy 2, I crested a hill doing 95 MPH and on the other side were three Montana highway patrol. No way they could have missed me, too late to bother to slow down. I rolled on by and never saw them again.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I wonder if it’s a speed limiter or a “top-out” of the rev limiter?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I wonder if it’s a speed limiter or a “top-out” of the rev limiter?
    OM
    Good point - easy to check, maybe.

Compare the top gear rpm at 101 when it kicks in to the next lower gear rpm when the limiter kicks in.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

You just like to follow rules.

28 years in law enforcement arresting criminals tends to result in that mentality.

I tend to stick to the 7-8 over, but I will hit it from time to time. Eyes wide open. I accept responsibility for whatever I do and I've been on the autobahn and autostrada too. 93 can get you run off the road in some places for being in the way.

NOT HERE in the US.

I don't know the top speed of my RT, but I've hit 115 without a problem. A limiter could be a concern if you have some idiot chasing you down for whatever reason, for instance in a pickup with a speed limited of 108 and you can't outrun him. It's not that I or anyone else goes that fast all the time or often, but to have the reserve just in case or just because. Shoot, a HD can go faster.
    In 50 years of riding, that's never been an issue, with near 600K miles in the saddle. It's so statistically insignificant as to be irrelevant in the US. What if's are mental masturbation. Has that ever happened? Probably. Do we see on the boards people posting such incidents? I've never seen anyone post thusly, hence the idea it's statistically insignificant.

We could play another what if, what if you're being chased by a Hellcat whose top speed is 199mph? Does that suggest I need to buy a bike whose top end is 240mph? 220? 210? You have got to be sheeting me with that what if. How far does one take that statistically insignificant scenario?
    Last edited by brownie0486; 05-22-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr