• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is top Speed limited on K16B?

flhfxd

Read that there’s a 101 mph limiter on this bike. Can anyone confirm? Can it be defeated (after warranty runs out of course)?
Thx

I believe there was a thread on advrider that claimed the Grand America is electronically limited to 101 mph, not because of powertrain limitations but rather potential handling instability with the top box. The powertrain warranty would therefore probably not be the major concern if the limiter were to be somehow disabled and the bike ridden above the current limit. Personal safety would be.

Odd the bike has a 170mph speedometer, though. Nearly half of it will never be used.

101MPH for the Grand America, the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 80Mph (from memory) with the top case and a passenger

125MPH for the Bagger although the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 111MPH if you have footboards installed.

For the GT/GTL the top speed is >125MPH with many documented runs of 155 by owners.

In all cases the speed limters can be defeated through programming.

Am I the only one that would find that limiting. I am by no means a speed demon, but when passing I routinely hit 160 km/hour (100 mph) and often exceed it. Mostly it is due to the acceleration possible with the wet heads. In the short space of time it takes to get around vehicles, a wide open throttle gets you well in triple digit English units in a hurry.

125MPH for the Bagger although the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 111MPH if you have footboards installed.

The BMW USA website shows a max speed of Over 125 MPH for the Bagger.
BMW normally does not quote a top speed, they only show Over 125 MPH.
When checking the S1000RR they only show Over 125 MPH.

Am I the only one that would find that limiting. I am by no means a speed demon, but when passing I routinely hit 160 km/hour (100 mph) and often exceed it. .

Same thing for me and my wife.
If dealers would not disable the limited, it would be a deal breaker for me.

The BMW USA website shows a max speed of Over 125 MPH for the Bagger.
BMW normally does not quote a top speed, they only show Over 125 MPH.
When checking the S1000RR they only show Over 125 MPH.

That's true with the B model...but the Grand America has a different top speed limiter.... at 101mph... heard lots of reasons mostly to do with instability at speed...which it is.

I've sorted mine out with a vented windshield, couple of pounds lower tire pressure in front and a trunk rag with bag... I still get a little "twitchyness" at 85+...but nothing like before. As a stock configuration the bike would scare the crap out of you at 85 mph...particularly if you were around any wind buffeting off another vehicle. For me it was...experiment and see if I could get the instability to go away or prepare for a long battle with BMW over an dangerous bike.

101MPH for the Grand America, the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 80Mph (from memory) with the top case and a passenger

For the GT/GTL the top speed is >125MPH with many documented runs of 155 by owners.

In all cases the speed limters can be defeated through programming.

have you found a dealer willing to over ride the speed limit on the grand america?

Looking at the specs I see the K1600GT and K1600 Grand America have the same steering head angle and wheelbase.
It would be interesting to know the reason for a limiter on the Grand America.
The Grand America fairing looks similar other than the shorter shield.

Looking at the specs I see the K1600GT and K1600 Bagger have the same steering head angle and wheelbase.
It would be interesting to know the reason for a limiter on the Bagger.
The Bagger fairing looks similar other than the shorter shield.

As far as I know the limiter on the B model hasn't changed since introduction....but, the Grand America iteration has a 101mph limit

Sounds like the Bagger 1600 is the only one with a top speed limiter. And you would need a willing BMW tech to defeat / reprogram the software in order to get much above 100 mph. Sound correct?
Interesting how instability appears to be the reason for this. Hmmm

Am I the only one that would find that limiting. I am by no means a speed demon, but when passing I routinely hit 160 km/hour (100 mph) and often exceed it. Mostly it is due to the acceleration possible with the wet heads. In the short space of time it takes to get around vehicles, a wide open throttle gets you well in triple digit English units in a hurry.

Just don’t get caught. 100mph+ is a felony in many states:

https://www.drivinglaws.org/resourc...aims/is-driving-over-100-mph-a-felony-offense

Back