Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Is top Speed limited on K16B?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    St Lazare, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    305

    Is top Speed limited on K16B?

    Read that there’s a 101 mph limiter on this bike. Can anyone confirm? Can it be defeated (after warranty runs out of course)?
    Thx

  2. #2
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,980
    I believe it's 105. Haven't heard anything about a mod.

    Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    St Lazare, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    305
    Is this the case with all the K1600 bikes as well?

  4. #4
    I believe there was a thread on advrider that claimed the Grand America is electronically limited to 101 mph, not because of powertrain limitations but rather potential handling instability with the top box. The powertrain warranty would therefore probably not be the major concern if the limiter were to be somehow disabled and the bike ridden above the current limit. Personal safety would be.

    Odd the bike has a 170mph speedometer, though. Nearly half of it will never be used.
    -Don't cry because it's over-
    -Smile because it happened-

  5. #5
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,562
    Says 101 mph on this MOA page:

    https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/news.asp?id=373347
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Ontario (GTA)
    Posts
    18
    101MPH for the Grand America, the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 80Mph (from memory) with the top case and a passenger

    125MPH for the Bagger although the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 111MPH if you have footboards installed.

    For the GT/GTL the top speed is >125MPH with many documented runs of 155 by owners.

    In all cases the speed limters can be defeated through programming.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Guadalajara, México
    Posts
    301
    Am I the only one that would find that limiting. I am by no means a speed demon, but when passing I routinely hit 160 km/hour (100 mph) and often exceed it. Mostly it is due to the acceleration possible with the wet heads. In the short space of time it takes to get around vehicles, a wide open throttle gets you well in triple digit English units in a hurry.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

  8. #8
    Registered User nomad52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Read that there’s a 101 mph limiter on this bike. Can anyone confirm? Can it be defeated (after warranty runs out of course)?
    Thx
    The top speed limitation you mention is specific to the K1600 Grand America

  9. #9
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,294
    Quote Originally Posted by earthling View Post

    125MPH for the Bagger although the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 111MPH if you have footboards installed.

    .
    The BMW USA website shows a max speed of Over 125 MPH for the Bagger.
    BMW normally does not quote a top speed, they only show Over 125 MPH.
    When checking the S1000RR they only show Over 125 MPH.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  10. #10
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,294
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaterCooled View Post
    Am I the only one that would find that limiting. I am by no means a speed demon, but when passing I routinely hit 160 km/hour (100 mph) and often exceed it. .
    Same thing for me and my wife.
    If dealers would not disable the limited, it would be a deal breaker for me.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  11. #11
    Registered User nomad52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The BMW USA website shows a max speed of Over 125 MPH for the Bagger.
    BMW normally does not quote a top speed, they only show Over 125 MPH.
    When checking the S1000RR they only show Over 125 MPH.
    That's true with the B model...but the Grand America has a different top speed limiter.... at 101mph... heard lots of reasons mostly to do with instability at speed...which it is.

    I've sorted mine out with a vented windshield, couple of pounds lower tire pressure in front and a trunk rag with bag... I still get a little "twitchyness" at 85+...but nothing like before. As a stock configuration the bike would scare the crap out of you at 85 mph...particularly if you were around any wind buffeting off another vehicle. For me it was...experiment and see if I could get the instability to go away or prepare for a long battle with BMW over an dangerous bike.

  12. #12
    Registered User nomad52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by earthling View Post
    101MPH for the Grand America, the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 80Mph (from memory) with the top case and a passenger

    125MPH for the Bagger although the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 111MPH if you have footboards installed.

    For the GT/GTL the top speed is >125MPH with many documented runs of 155 by owners.

    In all cases the speed limters can be defeated through programming.
    have you found a dealer willing to over ride the speed limit on the grand america?

  13. #13
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,294
    Looking at the specs I see the K1600GT and K1600 Grand America have the same steering head angle and wheelbase.
    It would be interesting to know the reason for a limiter on the Grand America.
    The Grand America fairing looks similar other than the shorter shield.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  14. #14
    Registered User nomad52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Looking at the specs I see the K1600GT and K1600 Bagger have the same steering head angle and wheelbase.
    It would be interesting to know the reason for a limiter on the Bagger.
    The Bagger fairing looks similar other than the shorter shield.
    As far as I know the limiter on the B model hasn't changed since introduction....but, the Grand America iteration has a 101mph limit

  15. #15
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,294
    Quote Originally Posted by wahutton View Post
    As far as I know the limiter on the B model hasn't changed since introduction....but, the Grand America iteration has a 101mph limit
    Oops I meant to say Grand America
    I corrected my post.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM
  2. 01 R1100 R Limited Edition
    By 308NUT in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM
  3. Speed questions for Land Speed Racing
    By gearheadr90s in forum Airheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 12:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •