• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire pressure sensor

dpmonk

P Monk
My 2011 R1200RT has had an on and off again failure reading the rear tire pressure. It finally gave out so I just replaced with a new one. BUT I still don't get a reading from the rear tire. What is the next step? Is there a way to disable the tps on the computer so I don't constantly have a warning light?

I think that you will need to 'relearn' the new tpms sensor, and that the learning process gets the computer to reognize the new tpms.
You can search the forums for the specifics. You'll need a GS911, or a dealership with the official BMW computer to do the relearn procedure.

oops

I found in my Haynes manual that the sensor needed to be woke up, and of course I did not write down the number from the sensor before I installed the tire. Looks like a trip to a dealer is in order.

Bummer on that....

in the FWIW department....

I did a bit of online research about the wake up and registering of the the sensor numbers. Long story short is a late model Chevy TPMS, 2012 on, will wake the sensors up. I have a TPMS learn tool for my 2013 Silverado and a 2008 R1200GS. Turn the GS ignition on and cycle to RDC, hold the TPMS tool to the tire next to the BMW wheel sensor and give it a 3 sec wake up. Bingo TPMS registers on both wheels.

This gives the procedure for registering the new code. They must be in decimal vs hexadecimal. Converter

The tool I used is the EL-50448, under $15 with a Google search.

Last edited:
El-50448

If the GM instrument wakes up the sensor, will I still have to get a GS-911 to make my bike computer communicate with the sensor?

If the GM instrument wakes up the sensor, will I still have to get a GS-911 to make my bike computer communicate with the sensor?

It's my understanding from this post that the GS911 is required to learn the new sensor code.

Any possibility you could replace the battery in the old sensor? That is likely why it failed as they do die after 5-7 years. There are youtube videos on this subject. Looked messy but possible if you can get the right battery with tabs already soldered on it. Otherwise there is the possibility of exploding the battery if you try to solder on it. :hungover

Back