• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do I know if my ABS module is dead?

Thanks for the information---how did you find an approved charger? I've alternated between Odyssey's, (because they seem to be recommended), and the OEM gel batteries, mainly because I've never been particularly impressed with either- so I wind up deciding to go back and give the other a chance. I'd try swapping here just to check boxes, but like I said, this is an new battery so it's not like I'd just be replacing it slightly early. Thanks again

You need a charger that specifies it will provide 14.7V for charging AGM batteries. Many (CTEK is one; I have the CTEK MUS4.3) have a "snowflake" mode which provides this voltage. These chargers are not cheap, but are the right tool for the job. I'd get one regardless of the status of your ABS module.

The ODYSSEY website has excellent resources for reconditioning the PC680 or other AGM battery. http://www.odysseybattery.com/Support/TechnicalInfo

I guess I must be doing it wrong.:dunno

I've got 3 Odysseys, 2 10 years old and 1 4 years old. I've only used a Battery Tender Junior if I haven't ridden that bike for several months. Otherwise, just riding keeps them happy.

No way would I buy a special charger. The bike is the best charger.

:dance:dance:dance

You need a charger that specifies it will provide 14.7V for charging AGM batteries. Many (CTEK is one; I have the CTEK MUS4.3) have a "snowflake" mode which provides this voltage. These chargers are not cheap, but are the right tool for the job. I'd get one regardless of the status of your ABS module.

The ODYSSEY website has excellent resources for reconditioning the PC680 or other AGM battery. http://www.odysseybattery.com/Support/TechnicalInfo

The best is to simply modify the regulator for 14.7v output. No special charger required then.

The best is to simply modify the regulator for 14.7v output. No special charger required then.

How simple is the modification? Charger is plug and play. In my case I had three PC 680 batteries to keep charged in more then one bike.

How simple is the modification? Charger is plug and play. In my case I had three PC 680 batteries to keep charged in more then one bike.
It's a bit of work especially if the ABS module is present.
But it is the ultimate fix as AGM's have replaced flooded cell types that originally came in the oilheads.
Hexheads and Wetheads have the higher charging voltage right out of the box.

Ok, I will look at replacing the battery, see if I can get it under warranty if not I'll buy a new one.

So looking at next step here, which would be replacing the module, unless the battery miraculously resolves it----

Does anyone know if I can use a unit that was pulled from an 1150R in a GS? The part number says it's compatible for both, but I've been told by the GS911 folks it needs to be from the same model. I haven't been able to find a used one from a GS but there are a few R's floating around. ---and to clarify, I mean can I use it without taking it to a dealer and getting some kind of reprogramming? Thanks again

Before you get too caught up in all the charger info, what is your battery voltage?

Charge it fully with a charger that tells you when it is fully charged (Battery Tenders will show a green light). Disconnect battery and let it sit for a couple hours, then measure the voltage.

Test the voltage every 24 hours for a couple days.

If the voltage goes down by more than .3volts, the battery is probably no good.

Let us know what you find.

Before you get too caught up in all the charger info, what is your battery voltage?

Charge it fully with a charger that tells you when it is fully charged (Battery Tenders will show a green light). Disconnect battery and let it sit for a couple hours, then measure the voltage.

Test the voltage every 24 hours for a couple days.

If the voltage goes down by more than .3volts, the battery is probably no good.

Let us know what you find.

will do---thanks

I think we are back to the question "What voltage is the GS-911 REALLY reading?"

Might be worth a call to the folks at GS-911.:dunno

I've got some more information

Wanted to update this and pass along some information.

Working with Module masters I found out

-likely a bad motor in my ABS unit
-they are very close to rolling out the rebuilds on these units. They have an email list that sends out updates.

For the voltage issue.
-The GS911 folks aren't familiar with it, but MM told me they see it on all of these units. They haven't researched the reason.

And the final piece

Got lucky and found a new module on Ebay, at a really good price, no less. I put it in last weekend, have put a couple hundred miles on it since then and all appears fine. So I think I am good. My plan is to use the ebay unit while MM doesn't my rebuild, hope it holds out, and then put it back out on ebay.

Again, really appreciate everyone's help on this.

Jonny,

If you have the opportunity, see if you are now getting the same voltage reading on the gs911.

Dead ABS module for 2006 1200 GS

My friend just had his abs module go bad on him also. Mine was a 2002 rt1150 and it went bad. It was a Type 3 just like my friend who has a 2006 1200 GS. Module masters has been saying for years it is not ready or set up to repair type 3 system. and that was of yesterday. Getting close and we have been hearing that for years. Have not heard about the RH company in Germany. It still has to be cheaper than buying a new one for about $4000 installed! Who and where are they located in Germany, can not find any info on them.
Also wondering if there are any boneyards (bmw junkyards) over there to make contact with.NOne of the boneyards in the USA have any type 3 abs brake systems available, probably due to BMW big time screw up with these brake systems.
So help me out if anyone can help! Thanks

My friend just had his abs module go bad on him also. Mine was a 2002 rt1150 and it went bad. It was a Type 3 just like my friend who has a 2006 1200 GS. Module masters has been saying for years it is not ready or set up to repair type 3 system. and that was of yesterday. Getting close and we have been hearing that for years. Have not heard about the RH company in Germany. It still has to be cheaper than buying a new one for about $4000 installed! Who and where are they located in Germany, can not find any info on them.
Also wondering if there are any boneyards (bmw junkyards) over there to make contact with.NOne of the boneyards in the USA have any type 3 abs brake systems available, probably due to BMW big time screw up with these brake systems.
So help me out if anyone can help! Thanks

Modulemasters is doing them now (finally sourced the repair parts)
Post #24
https://advrider.com/f/threads/module-masters-update-for-whizzy-brakes-bmw-iabs.1284212/

Back