Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Interesting Piece of Safety Gear

  1. #1
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,057

    Interesting Piece of Safety Gear

    Our English counterparts have found a way to get motorists to notice their hi-viz vests:

    Polite Vest.jpg

    I rather like the idea. Comments?
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

  2. #2
    Cute..


    I hope the local constabulary doesn't take offence.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by soocom1 View Post
    Cute..


    I hope the local constabulary doesn't take offence.
    In a place where pocket knives are illegal, that could happen.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

  4. #4
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    13,196
    Didn't the Brits make one of the Long Way Round (Down) crew wear something like that when they were learning to ride- pre test?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #5
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,057
    A couple of points of clarification:

    1) The Brits don't require dayglo vests, although the French do. The UK does have learner laws, which restrict horsepower for those that hold a provisional license. I think that the bikes must carry a learner plate.

    2) The British cops (a.k.a.: "The Plod") don't seem to mind, although some British motorists have started a petition against them

    3) UK Friendly Carry 'Legal' Knives. A UK Friendly knife must be a folding knife that is both non-locking and has a cutting edge of less the 7.62cm (3 inches). These are knives that you can carry around with you in a public place.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Our English counterparts have found a way to get motorists to notice their hi-viz vests:

    Polite Vest.jpg

    I rather like the idea. Comments?
    I think it's great. In fact I am contemplating trading in my '16 RT for an '18 in white, and white so that I can have POLITE letting on the windscreen with the word 'Be' in small letters and 'POLITE' in large letters. Can't hurt to have more people thinking there is a motor cop behind them etc. In fact, if anything it would help traffic behave better so traffic police should be highly in support of it, unless it cuts into their ability to collect speeding citations!

  7. #7
    Douglas Williams
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I think it's great. In fact I am contemplating trading in my '16 RT for an '18 in white, and white so that I can have POLITE letting on the windscreen with the word 'Be' in small letters and 'POLITE' in large letters. Can't hurt to have more people thinking there is a motor cop behind them etc. In fact, if anything it would help traffic behave better so traffic police should be highly in support of it, unless it cuts into their ability to collect speeding citations!
    The down side is that as long as people think you're official, they'll stay at or under the speed limit. This might make that interstate trip last a bit longer than you planned.

    Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

  8. #8
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    769
    I like the idea. Having a white RT does make peeps notice me more specially when I wear my day-glow vest.
    however I am more concerned with what is BEHIND me than in front of me as most cagers are distracted morons on a cellphone (at least down here)...YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

  9. #9
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,766
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  10. #10
    Thick As A Brick r184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,514

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I like the idea. Having a white RT does make peeps notice me more specially when I wear my day-glow vest.
    however I am more concerned with what is BEHIND me than in front of me as most cagers are distracted morons on a cellphone (at least down here)...YMMV
    Florida doesn't own the market on "distracted" or just plan dangerous drivers. SoCal has them wall to wall, or should I say lane to lane. Just drove 395 south from Reno area to SoCal. Wonderful trip till I hit Kramer junction, then the usual SoCal watch your ass, because they'll run you down while texting/talking on phone/putting on make-up/etc. driving.


    And I really liked that vest, thought it was a nice play on words. You have to pay attention to what it actually says, rather than have your brain fill in the blanks. But unfortunately in SoCal, they'll use it as a aiming point.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I like the idea. Having a white RT does make peeps notice me more specially when I wear my day-glow vest.
    however I am more concerned with what is BEHIND me than in front of me as most cagers are distracted morons on a cellphone (at least down here)...YMMV
    Apparently others mileage is varying because statistically speaking it's twice as common for a motorcycle to rear-end something in front of them than to be rear ended themselves. But I'm with you I am more (or should we say 'as much') concerned with what's behind me too! To help address this I installed a rear-view camera and LCD into the GPS Prep on my RTW. I only use Nav V when touring as I still can find my way around town and back home with GPS voice guidance This is not my bike but this is what I did w/ this LCD from Tadi Brothers:

    Screen_Shot_2018-03-04_at_1.50.01_PM.jpg

  12. #12
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by r184 View Post
    Florida doesn't own the market on "distracted" or just plan dangerous drivers. SoCal has them wall to wall, or should I say lane to lane. Just drove 395 south from Reno area to SoCal. Wonderful trip till I hit Kramer junction, then the usual SoCal watch your ass, because they'll run you down while texting/talking on phone/putting on make-up/etc. driving.


    And I really liked that vest, thought it was a nice play on words. You have to pay attention to what it actually says, rather than have your brain fill in the blanks. But unfortunately in SoCal, they'll use it as a aiming point.
    True that Florida hasn't cornered the market in morons in traffic but at times it makes me wonder... We're now getting ready for blue-hair season too....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

  13. #13
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Apparently others mileage is varying because statistically speaking it's twice as common for a motorcycle to rear-end something in front of them than to be rear ended themselves. But I'm with you I am more (or should we say 'as much') concerned with what's behind me too! To help address this I installed a rear-view camera and LCD into the GPS Prep on my RTW. I only use Nav V when touring as I still can find my way around town and back home with GPS voice guidance This is not my bike but this is what I did w/ this LCD from Tadi Brothers:

    Screen_Shot_2018-03-04_at_1.50.01_PM.jpg
    Thanks for that info on the rearview camera. Perhaps getting one that records in case of an accident may help if the perp drives off, something not uncommon. I have friends who have them on their pedal bikes after one of our mutual friends was killed by a hit and run driver almost 2 years back....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

  14. #14
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,867
    Polite means POLICE in Finland. So these must be Finnish Cop vests with some value added humour.

    Great idea!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  15. #15

    Angry UK Police do mind !

    The use of Hi-Viz garments are a personal decision however, there have been prosecutions for wearing this vest, impersonation of a Police Officer. I do wear Hi-Viz / reflective garments but I am always aware of what is around me, do I stand out, am I contrasted to any road user who may see me. The use of daylight running lamps/headlamps, the wearing of Hi-Viz garments doesn't "protect" the rider from a collision, only their situational awareness, experience and knowledge can greatly assist int hat area.

    Keep on the grey bits people :-)
    Stay on the grey bits .......

    "Rossy"

Similar Threads

  1. Riding Gear, One Piece Suit for Das Rally 2016?
    By jsoque in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2016, 08:56 PM
  2. weird safety gear mix
    By LuckyGrownup in forum Just Ridin'
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 05:03 AM
  3. Too Much Safety Gear??
    By dinandan in forum Gear
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 02:20 AM
  4. Rain gear, one piece or two?
    By magicmaker in forum Gear
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 03:17 PM
  5. Interesting European Safety Study
    By YB in IN in forum Campfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •