Thread: Luftmeister fairing R90/6 worth anything?

Luftmeister fairing R90/6 worth anything?

So I was able to pickup my first BMW which is a 1974 R90/6 that came with an original Luftmeister front fairing. The bike was ordered this way from the original owner whom I bought the bike from. I will be starting a re-build thread soon. Anyway, the question is whether there is any desire for these fairings? I am not going to be using it for my build. I couldnít find any used ones for sale and therefore figured I would post it here to ask. Thanks

I think they're worth something...my /7 also came installed with one by the dealer. I'm a fairing person so I prefer to have it to keep wind, bugs, etc., off of me. When you're ready to get rid of it, check out the Marketplace link at the top of the page to list it. Of course, there's craigslist, etc. Good luck!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I'm a fairing person so I prefer to have it to keep wind, bugs, etc., off of me.
    They're a tad heavy (which airheads don't like), but as big and clunky as they are, like the Windjammers, they got/get the job done.

Windjammers are priced all over the place, from $100-400 depending on condition. I think they must be making a "retro" comeback; they were $350 new in 1976.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Suggested list price was $265 back 1975:

https://w6rec.com/luftmeister-fairings-1975/

I don't really get the "heavy" part. The times I've had it off, it can easily be moved about...kinda bulky. 10-15 pounds out of a 500 pound bike??? Maybe the "heavy" part might be loading as it might create extra downforce for the front end. Certainly, the aerodynamics of the RS fairings were designed to plant the front end with downloads.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks for quick responses. Maybe Iíll try listing it along with the trunk in the marketplace. Thanks

I don't really get the "heavy" part.
    15# for the fairing, 3# for the mounting bracket, 3# for the "lowers" (if you used them), another 3# for the "Cycle Sound" accessory (with speakers), misc gear, and a bottle of wine stuffed into the side pockets (another #5). I do know that my /5 thanked me when I removed the weight from the front end.

My wife and I logged thousands of miles behind them on the /5, and various other company bikes; they were "hi tech" at the time ... 45 years ago. And they still do the job. I still have two WJs myself... my "original" that I bought when I was a Honda Parts Dept. Manager, before I went to work for Vetters, and a Silver Tradeshow Special that I've never run.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Took mine off my '76 R60/6 when I got it. The bike felt top heavy and not right IMHO for the smallest Beemer of the /6 line up of the era. I love to be in the wind... If you get something for it good for you.
    sometimes one goes slow, sometimes one goes fast.