• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Luftmeister fairing R90/6 worth anything?

bmwscott

So I was able to pickup my first BMW which is a 1974 R90/6 that came with an original Luftmeister front fairing. The bike was ordered this way from the original owner whom I bought the bike from. I will be starting a re-build thread soon. Anyway, the question is whether there is any desire for these fairings? I am not going to be using it for my build. I couldn’t find any used ones for sale and therefore figured I would post it here to ask. Thanks

I think they're worth something...my /7 also came installed with one by the dealer. I'm a fairing person so I prefer to have it to keep wind, bugs, etc., off of me. When you're ready to get rid of it, check out the Marketplace link at the top of the page to list it. Of course, there's craigslist, etc. Good luck!

I'm a fairing person so I prefer to have it to keep wind, bugs, etc., off of me.

They're a tad heavy (which airheads don't like), but as big and clunky as they are, like the Windjammers, they got/get the job done.

Windjammers are priced all over the place, from $100-400 depending on condition. I think they must be making a "retro" comeback; they were $350 new in 1976.

Suggested list price was $265 back 1975:

https://w6rec.com/luftmeister-fairings-1975/

I don't really get the "heavy" part. The times I've had it off, it can easily be moved about...kinda bulky. 10-15 pounds out of a 500 pound bike??? Maybe the "heavy" part might be loading as it might create extra downforce for the front end. Certainly, the aerodynamics of the RS fairings were designed to plant the front end with downloads.

I don't really get the "heavy" part.

15# for the fairing, 3# for the mounting bracket, 3# for the "lowers" (if you used them), another 3# for the "Cycle Sound" accessory (with speakers), misc gear, and a bottle of wine stuffed into the side pockets (another #5). I do know that my /5 thanked me when I removed the weight from the front end.

My wife and I logged thousands of miles behind them on the /5, and various other company bikes; they were "hi tech" at the time ... 45 years ago. And they still do the job. I still have two WJs myself... my "original" that I bought when I was a Honda Parts Dept. Manager, before I went to work for Vetters, and a Silver Tradeshow Special that I've never run.

Took mine off my '76 R60/6 when I got it. The bike felt top heavy and not right IMHO for the smallest Beemer of the /6 line up of the era. I love to be in the wind... :) If you get something for it good for you.

sorry to dig up an old thread,

but i've got a havana gold one of these off of mine that i'd be willing to part with to save me some garage space. anyone know anyone interested in one?

sorry to dig up an old thread,

but i've got a havana gold one of these off of mine that i'd be willing to part with to save me some garage space. anyone know anyone interested in one?

Try listing it in the Marketplace section. Its under the "Resources" tab. Good luck!

After a trip past Carhenge in Nebraska 20 or so years ago I proposed on line that we construct a Fairinghenge by partially burying old fairings painted different gaudy colors. Since our property was only 3/4 mile off a US highway I offered to donate the spot where we could erect such an edifice. I had two such fairings and several Kansas City Club and Heartland Riders Club members also had some fairings we could use. When the snow melted and it once again became prime riding season somehow the grand idea was put on the back burner and was never pursued thereafter. I had hoped that maybe a tourist attraction would convince the County to pave the gravel road past the house but alas that never happened either.:)

Luftmeister Fairing

There was a Poor Man's RT in those years which used the Luftmeister faring. The fairing itself was a Windjammer clone and worked as intended for it's purpose. It was painted to match the tank and fender color of the bike. Mine was painted red and installed on a 78 R80/7. The fairing in no way could match the quality of functionality of the factory RT/RS fairings and was called by some the "Goofmeister". No idea what the market is for them.

The 70's- The Golden Era

This era brought many motorcycling features to the forefront. Larger displacement engines, electric starters, disc brakes, dependability. Mom and Dad hit the road touring American together; the Windjammer supplying wind protection. The golden era of motorcycling. The big manufacturing bike companies saw the writing on the wall. Bigger bikes with all the bells and whistles in one complete package. Windjammers, Luftmiesters and all their knockoff's all slowly fell by the way side. My 2nd bike was a used '74 with U guessed it, a Windjammer. After a couple of years and 50,000 miles the Windjammer was removed for a simple standard look. Loved the bare bones styling of my R90/6. There were more changes to come. But the bare bones bike was a great look.

Couple guys here in Albuquerque like to putter in our retirement. Someone gave us a near basket case '78 R100/7, which we got running pretty nicely. First thing we did was send the Luftmeister fairing to the dump.

Back