• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW 1 Piece rain Suit

pjsobchak

Juts returned from a 2600 mile ride from PA to Nova Scotia. Great ride with 1 exception; my never worn BWM 1 piece rainsuit leaked. Wondering if anyone lese has experienced the same. It was a heavy rain and the suit leaked in the crotch area.
We have a great dealership in PA (Hermys BMW/Triumph) in Port Clinton that I believe will take care of this with a free replacement, but curious if others have had the same problem.

"Suit leaked in the crotch area" Given the demographics of this group, I gotta ask...…. did the suit leak from the inside or the outside??????? :wave

Friedle

I have never considered any rain gear having the ability to keep me completely dry. I have had some do a little better and some do a lot better :dunno
OM

Well.... I guess I should have been more specific... it leaked from the outside in... but a valid question! LOL! Yes it is the yellow rain suit, bought 3 years ago.
Yes, I agree nothing is perfect when it comes to waterproof suites, but this thing was awful, leaked like a sieve.
I did double check on day 2 that it was zipped and velcro'd properly. Just a bad day at the BMW sewing plant I guess!

I've got a great dealership in "Hermys", not worried about the outcome, i'm sure they or BMW will replace it.

I had a one piece BMW rain suit back in 1988.
I noticed that sometimes when I sat on the bike the zipper would fold in a way to create a pocket which held water.
After sitting I had to make a point to fold the zipper area down so it would not hold water.
I didn't like using a one piece and sold it after the trip.

Alaska 001 - Copy.jpg

... curious if others have had the same problem.
I have the Rev'It one-piece so it is not identical, but very, very similar.

It does sound like you may have gotten a unit that fell through the quality-control system.

As was mentioned, the velcro closure is very important as is avoiding having a "pocket" form to hold/trap water. Unlike Lee, I prefer a one-piece. Guess that's why we've got so many great choices. ;-)

Like you say (or perhaps it was someone else), virtually nothing is 100% waterproof, but your situation sounds to be well beyond what I would have expected from that suit. When I first started using my Rev'It suit I got two mild wet spots after a heavy rain. Both on the pants. One was in the crotch area and the other high on the front of the leg. After that I paid closer attention to making sure the velcro was closed and sealed as best possible - starting at the base/bottom and keeping a little upward tension on the suit as I closed the velcro on the suit and made sure it was a good flat and even seal. This didn't take long and wasn't difficult, it just took being aware of it and taking a little extra care. Then like Lee, when I mount the bike I reverse the natual opocket/bowl that forms in the crotch area to make sure there is no area for water to pool.

Ever since I have only had the slightest small wet spot appear (usually the size of my small fingernail). I've been ridden in heavy rain with no waterproof gear then got an old Barbour waxed cotton suit in the mid-70's and on to "waterproof" suits and liners. For me, the Rev'It one-piece works better than anything else I've tried and the reports I've heard on the BMW suit suggest when not defective it performs as well.

Good luck with a replacement. Yes, getting the velcro just right takes a little extra time but it has paid great dividends for me and I have not found any gear that stays waterproof afer a few years, so the one-piece over-suit is what I want. What I don't like about liners is that your suit itself gets very wet, heavy, and messy. YMMV

Well.... I guess I should have been more specific... it leaked from the outside in... but a valid question! LOL! Yes it is the yellow rain suit, bought 3 years ago.
Yes, I agree nothing is perfect when it comes to waterproof suites, but this thing was awful, leaked like a sieve.
I did double check on day 2 that it was zipped and velcro'd properly. Just a bad day at the BMW sewing plant I guess!

I've got a great dealership in "Hermys", not worried about the outcome, i'm sure they or BMW will replace it.

I think the question was about determining the location of the leak - at a zipper, at a seam, through the material, at the collar, wrist, etc.

I have a one piece Held suit that is waterproof from the outside in, and from the inside out, so that in almost any weather moisture condenses on the inside of the suit. I just need to choose which type of moisture I want to deal with...

Back