Thread: Adjust temperature sensor reading? 2012 RT

Adjust temperature sensor reading? 2012 RT

Anyone know of a way to adjust the ambient temperature reading on a 2012 RT? Mine consistently reads 2 degrees high. Admittedly not a big deal but I find it annoying none the less. I tried swapping the sensor with that on my buddy's GS and it still read the same so that didn't work.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    Anyone know of a way to adjust the ambient temperature reading on a 2012 RT? Mine consistently reads 2 degrees high. Admittedly not a big deal but I find it annoying none the less. I tried swapping the sensor with that on my buddy's GS and it still read the same so that didn't work.
    Out of curiosity, what system and sensor are you using to check the temperature, i.e. where is it mounted and how is it calibrated. I notice a lag in the sensor on my R12R. I can feel a temperature change as I go up and down hills, particularly in the morning. And the bike readout takes about 15 or 20 seconds before it shows the new temperature. I would be pretty lousy at guessing the absolute temperature, maybe no better than a few degrees C. But I can detect a change of 0.5 degrees C.
    Incidentally, I assume that the 2 degrees you mentioned is Fahrenheit.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

A couple of thoughts.

The temperature displayed is probably taken off what the engine temp sees. It is likely the engine temp change is dampened to prevent confusion in its tiny brain that controls the fuel map. With that assumption, the temperature in the airbox might be consistently be 2 degrees higher. If you want an actual ambient air temp there are many aftermarket options.
    2008 R1200GS

Sorry, this doesn't really help the OP, but IIRC - the 2012 model has a small temp prob that is attached to the front, lower, brake-side of the fairing. It's in an area that doesn't face a lot of engine heat and captures good air flow. There is a 2nd temp sensor in the airbox I believe.

I haven't taken the temp sensor apart, but I would imagine it just runs on electrical resistance, so I don't know if you could increase or decrease the amount using a resistor. You'd have to figure out the cure, then how much or how less. It's annoying, but I'd probably just subtract 2 from the readout
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaterCooled View Post
    Out of curiosity, what system and sensor are you using to check the temperature, i.e. where is it mounted and how is it calibrated. I notice a lag in the sensor on my R12R. I can feel a temperature change as I go up and down hills, particularly in the morning. And the bike readout takes about 15 or 20 seconds before it shows the new temperature. I would be pretty lousy at guessing the absolute temperature, maybe no better than a few degrees C. But I can detect a change of 0.5 degrees C.
    Incidentally, I assume that the 2 degrees you mentioned is Fahrenheit.
    I compare my temp to everybody else I ride with and I am always off. That would be a couple of BMW's and a Triumph. I am always odd man out.
    There is only one temp sensor I am aware of, under the front right cowling. I can appreciate the "just lump it" sentiment as I have been doing but thought I'd ask anyway. I would think there is probably some computer adjustment setting for this (top secret BMW proprietary, no doubt) but that is out of reach it seems. I'm not sure how the sensor works but I suspect some kind of resistance value which might be something I can tinker with.
    Thanks to all anyway!
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk