• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adjust temperature sensor reading? 2012 RT

AjaxTheDog

Anyone know of a way to adjust the ambient temperature reading on a 2012 RT? Mine consistently reads 2 degrees high. Admittedly not a big deal but I find it annoying none the less. I tried swapping the sensor with that on my buddy's GS and it still read the same so that didn't work.

Anyone know of a way to adjust the ambient temperature reading on a 2012 RT? Mine consistently reads 2 degrees high. Admittedly not a big deal but I find it annoying none the less. I tried swapping the sensor with that on my buddy's GS and it still read the same so that didn't work.

Out of curiosity, what system and sensor are you using to check the temperature, i.e. where is it mounted and how is it calibrated. I notice a lag in the sensor on my R12R. I can feel a temperature change as I go up and down hills, particularly in the morning. And the bike readout takes about 15 or 20 seconds before it shows the new temperature. I would be pretty lousy at guessing the absolute temperature, maybe no better than a few degrees C. But I can detect a change of 0.5 degrees C.
Incidentally, I assume that the 2 degrees you mentioned is Fahrenheit.

A couple of thoughts.

The temperature displayed is probably taken off what the engine temp sees. It is likely the engine temp change is dampened to prevent confusion in its tiny brain that controls the fuel map. With that assumption, the temperature in the airbox might be consistently be 2 degrees higher. If you want an actual ambient air temp there are many aftermarket options.

Sorry, this doesn't really help the OP, but IIRC - the 2012 model has a small temp prob that is attached to the front, lower, brake-side of the fairing. It's in an area that doesn't face a lot of engine heat and captures good air flow. There is a 2nd temp sensor in the airbox I believe.

I haven't taken the temp sensor apart, but I would imagine it just runs on electrical resistance, so I don't know if you could increase or decrease the amount using a resistor. You'd have to figure out the cure, then how much or how less. It's annoying, but I'd probably just subtract 2 from the readout :brad

Out of curiosity, what system and sensor are you using to check the temperature, i.e. where is it mounted and how is it calibrated. I notice a lag in the sensor on my R12R. I can feel a temperature change as I go up and down hills, particularly in the morning. And the bike readout takes about 15 or 20 seconds before it shows the new temperature. I would be pretty lousy at guessing the absolute temperature, maybe no better than a few degrees C. But I can detect a change of 0.5 degrees C.
Incidentally, I assume that the 2 degrees you mentioned is Fahrenheit.

I compare my temp to everybody else I ride with and I am always off. That would be a couple of BMW's and a Triumph. I am always odd man out.
There is only one temp sensor I am aware of, under the front right cowling. I can appreciate the "just lump it" sentiment as I have been doing but thought I'd ask anyway. I would think there is probably some computer adjustment setting for this (top secret BMW proprietary, no doubt) but that is out of reach it seems. I'm not sure how the sensor works but I suspect some kind of resistance value which might be something I can tinker with.
Thanks to all anyway!

Back