• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

From Upstate SC

ultrarunner

Hello all- I just picked up a 1994 R1100 RS two days ago. Although I am not new to motorcycles, this is my first BMW. I have always been interested, and decided to make the plunge. It appears to be a very clean, well maintained bike. I have had several older bikes, and wasn't interested in getting a project bike, but wanted something I can ride regularly. With only 36k miles on this, I was a bit concerned about how much of its life it sat around, but it appears that the previous owner did a great deal of the maintenance items required to have it running well. He purchased it two years ago, and has put ~15k miles on it in that time. So, we will see how it goes. I do my own wrenching, and there will be a bit of a learning curve for me, since I have never worked on a BMW.

I was able to put a little over 100 miles on the bike yesterday, just running errands around town (with a few detours...). I would like to get to know the bike a bit before I get too far from home. It is comfortable and smooth, for sure. I'll need to start doing some push-ups- I'm not used to the forward position and weight on arms/wrists. My goal is to not do too much to the bike other than ride it, but will be looking at suspension options. Not much mileage on the originals, but at 24 years old, they feel a bit tired. Of course, I have nothing to compare the ride to, so it might be in my head.

I have already used this forum a fair bit in my research on models and issues with them. So, thanks for supplying all of the incredible information here. I'm happy to be a member, and look forward to enjoying this bike. I'm already enamoured with it, and can't wait to spend more time on it.

94RS.jpg

Chris -

Welcome to the forum and to BMW! Those colors on the side panel look kind of neat...seems to add something to my eye. :thumb

I hope you can work your way into the ergonomics of the bike. Don't know if there are bar backs or something that can mitigate the issue a bit...others will know.

Welcome to the forum!:wave

If the last owner put 15K on the bike in the past two years, he already worked out any issues that might have arisen from the previous 22 years of light use.

As for the sore wrists, you need to read about Master Yoda's Riding Position. The overuse of emphasis and capitals makes it hard to read, but the principles are good. It really does work to keep your weight off your arms AND lets the bikecorner at it's best.

94 rs

IMG_2489.JPGHave the sane bike except mine has a teal blue Corbin seat. Mine had 27,000 miles on it when purchased now 80,000 plus. The folks on the oilhead thread will help you save big bucks by giving you information needed to do much of your own maintenance.
If you have watched Christmas vacation my bike is your bikes cousin Eddie. :) ( I will add picture later forum not playing nice with apple now ) anyway nice bike I really like mine.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the welcome.

If the last owner put 15K on the bike in the past two years, he already worked out any issues that might have arisen from the previous 22 years of light use.

Yes, that is exactly my hope. I expect some issues, and am just anxious to spend some time on the bike.

As for the sore wrists, you need to read about Master Yoda's Riding Position. The overuse of emphasis and capitals makes it hard to read, but the principles are good. It really does work to keep your weight off your arms AND lets the bikecorner at it's best.

Thank you for the link. Good advice, and I will practice. And I appreciate the warning- it was a bit aggravating reading. (And mildly ironic with my use of color, parentheses, and ellipsis...)

Back