• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1999 R1100RT - 12,000 mile service - how long should it take/cost?

discoboy

So, my 1999 R1100RT is due for the 12,000 mile service. Wondering what it's going to cost me when I take it to the dealership. Any estimates on how long it should take?

I can and will change the various oils, lube and check everything else on the standard list myself. The only parts I don't want to do myself are:
  • synching the throttle bodies
  • adjusting the valves
  • replacing the generator belt (which they tell me should be done because the bike is so old)

Anyone know what I should be looking at?

So, my 1999 R1100RT is due for the 12,000 mile service. Wondering what it's going to cost me when I take it to the dealership. Any estimates on how long it should take?

I can and will change the various oils, lube and check everything else on the standard list myself. The only parts I don't want to do myself are:
  • synching the throttle bodies
  • adjusting the valves
  • replacing the generator belt (which they tell me should be done because the bike is so old)

Anyone know what I should be looking at?

Have you asked the dealer service writer to have a reference for comparison??

Friedle

I always call and ask the shop what a service or repair will cost.
I never take a bike in for a full service so I tell them what work I want the shop to do.

Nice bike at just over 600 miles per year. My reply isn’t much help to you but I’d like to ask if you are the original owner or was it a find?

Nice bike at just over 600 miles per year. My reply isn’t much help to you but I’d like to ask if you are the original owner or was it a find?

It was a find, and I'm really happy with it. A long story, and I won't go into all of the details. I'm the 2nd owner. The original owner and his wife were active BMW riders for many years but had to pretty much stop for personal reasons. I picked it up this April with 5,600 miles on it. So, in addition to simple miles, I have to contend with potential age issues and problems related to sitting around unused too much (rubber things, seals, etc.). Still had the original tires on it (dry rotted of course). So far so good. I went into this expecting to deal with some issues.

Without tupperware removal and replacement, about 2 hours give or take.

So what is reasonable for remove/replace the tupperware?

The dealer is estimating 5 hours for the whole job, which seems excessive to me, especially at their rate.

I would add another hour for the fairing removal and replacement, but the shop might have a standard rate for that which is longer. The things you listed as not wanting to do yourself are really pretty easy and only require basic tools to do. Think about getting the JVB video.

BTW: It is too bad that Frank didn't run for President! :usa

If you go to a reputable and recommended dealer, whatever the cost ends up being, its worth the money to have an expert look it over. At nineteen years old, there will be probably be some hidden issues that they may find that wouldn't be a part of the usual 12000 mile service, as age has as much a factor in maintenance cost as mileage. That being said, it would be to your advantage to either spend a couple hours yourself checking over nuts and bolts, hoses etc., before taking it in, or have a friend review it, so you have a better idea of what work will be needed. The money you spend in preventative maintenance could pay huge dividends down the road in deferred towing costs....

If you go to a reputable and recommended dealer, whatever the cost ends up being, its worth the money to have an expert look it over. At nineteen years old, there will be probably be some hidden issues that they may find that wouldn't be a part of the usual 12000 mile service, as age has as much a factor in maintenance cost as mileage. That being said, it would be to your advantage to either spend a couple hours yourself checking over nuts and bolts, hoses etc., before taking it in, or have a friend review it, so you have a better idea of what work will be needed. The money you spend in preventative maintenance could pay huge dividends down the road in deferred towing costs....

Agreed on the once-over. I'm trying to do everything possible to ensure this bike is in good shape starting out. That being said, I also have a local non-dealer BMW guru in mind who I'm thinking of taking it to. The reason for this thread is to find out if 5 hours is a reasonable estimate for the work.

I'm trying to learn what I can, do what I can. For this purpose, though, I'm concerned about the "unknown unknowns" problem. Hence the reason to have an expert look it over. As for towing costs, I have the BMW MOA insurance as well as towing coverage on my bike's insurance policy. Of course, the last thing I want is to be stuck by the side of the road somewhere, especially due to something that could have been prevented with proper maintenance.

I would add another hour for the fairing removal and replacement, but the shop might have a standard rate for that which is longer. The things you listed as not wanting to do yourself are really pretty easy and only require basic tools to do. Think about getting the JVB video.

BTW: It is too bad that Frank didn't run for President! :usa

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD. Just placed the order.

Also, there’s a full PDF maintenance file available on the internet. Very helpful. Google is your friend.

When I purchased my 2000 R1100RT, it had 107k on it and the guy I bought it from (3rd owner) had done a single oil change in 2 years of ownership albeit with about 2k in mileage. I did the annual myself after getting the needed items from Beemer Boneyard. Total outlay was about 100 bucks (including shipping) and perhaps 4 hours. That time included the work and checking everything listed to check for the annual. I'd say 5 hours is a bit on the high side and perhaps, as someone mentioned, a flat time for a standard job.

Back