• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stop & Go Tire Plugger

HowardR1200RT

Has anyone actually used the Stop & Go tire plugger on the road? I tried recently for the first time and reading the directions it all seemed easy enough. That is until I tried installing the plug, could't get the plug to go thru the tool. Tool kept slipping in my hands while trying to use the allen wrench to push the plug thru the tube on the end of the insertion tool. Is there something I'm supposed to use to lubricate the plug? Seems like a well designed emergency plugging tool but useless on the road if the plugs wont install. Any advice besides working out to get stronger hands:)

Yes I have used mine quite a few times, and had this same problem. I used some friction tape "Hockey Tape" and made the knurled part of the tool much fatter, this has made a big difference, I also fattened up the reaming tool for hand comfort. I also carry a pair of mechanics gloves. Good luck.

I had one that was hard to work that way. I saw the guy selling them at the St Paul rally and told him what a piece of crap it was. He asked if I had it with me and if so bring it to him, which I did. He tried working it with no luck. He said it should not have gotten past QC and handed me a complete new kit. I've used it a couple times sense then with no difficulty. You should be able to push a plug through it easily. If not send it back. I'm very happy with it now.

Yes, I have used mine several times successfully. Like any tool that you haven’t used before, you should try to practice with it before you are using it out on the road. Do it on your tire at home before you get a new tire mounted, or just stop at the shop that changes your tire and practice on one of their takeoff tires.

This is why I went with T-shaped tools. I couldn't see how I could get a good enough grip to push the plugs through with those straight-handled ones.

Have used the Stop&Go system on several tires in the last 12+ years.There is a learning curve best practiced on an old tire before out inthe wild.
If you don't have a used tire, somebody does and seeing how the plug fits from inside will give you confidence it's going to seal. We had a club tech dayandplayed with all type of plugkits and pumps.

There are some punctures that a sticky string works better, but overall have had great results with the mushroom plugs. The biggest advice is to ream the puncture more than you think is good, especially on steel corded tires like a Metzeler or Dunlop.

If the mushroom head gets crooked in barrel when inserted, it will give one fits. I still take a few tries if I catch myself in a rush due to heat, traffic, rain or grumpy older fellas I am patching a tire for.

My bro in law has the gun kit that reminds me of a caulk gun. If the smaller barrel style is not doing it for you, maybe sell it to a buddy and get the standard kit.I have used his kit a few times and found it easier to insert the plug, though I can pack the smaller kit under the seat on a very storage challenged naked bike.

1075-08__23964.1491409982.500.750.jpg

Have used the Stop&Go system on several tires in the last 12+ years.There is a learning curve best practiced on an old tire before out inthe wild.
If you don't have a used tire, somebody does and seeing how the plug fits from inside will give you confidence it's going to seal. We had a club tech dayandplayed with all type of plugkits and pumps.

There are some punctures that a sticky string works better, but overall have had great results with the mushroom plugs. The biggest advice is to ream the puncture more than you think is good, especially on steel corded tires like a Metzeler or Dunlop.

If the mushroom head gets crooked in barrel when inserted, it will give one fits. I still take a few tries if I catch myself in a rush due to heat, traffic, rain or grumpy older fellas I am patching a tire for.

My bro in law has the gun kit that reminds me of a caulk gun. If the smaller barrel style is not doing it for you, maybe sell it to a buddy and get the standard kit.I have used his kit a few times and found it easier to insert the plug, though I can pack the smaller kit under the seat on a very storage challenged naked bike.

View attachment 69931
Agree with above+ also lube the plug real good+ run it thru the Gun a time or 2 before inserting it in the tire.

Its always easier in a garage rather than on the side of the road. Good luck.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Used mine once while attending a Wisconsin Dells rally. Worked as advertised, although I did need to use the reamer to clean out and open up the hole a bit more than I did while practicing at home. Difference being I drilled holes in my practice tire at home, but on the road, the hole was not as large or clean to shove the patch through.

Back