• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2015 rt tpms

dsmith12002492

I need to replace the TPMS on my 2015 RT. Can anyone tell me the proper torque on the hollow bolt that holds it to the wheel? Thanks in advance!

I need to replace the TPMS on my 2015 RT. Can anyone tell me the proper torque on the hollow bolt that holds it to the wheel? Thanks in advance!

Hi Rocko, can you describe what happened and how it manifested? IOW, did pressure just stop displaying, go intermittent, or what have you? I ask because I was having that issue on both front and rear immediately after changing tires 2 months ago. It continued this erratic behavior for 3.3K miles then resolved completely. It's a '16 RT.

Thanks Jay. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

The pressure indication started to take longer than normal to display. It progressed to showing no pressure long enough to trigger the dash warning. Some days it worked normally, others not. My rear sensor displayed exactky the same symptoms shortly before the warranty expired. Dealer installed new TOMS and all ok. Planning tomorrow to install one I got online, it has the BMW part number on it and is a Schrader unit. Counting on the GS911 to be able to allow the bike to recognize it.

Thanks Jay. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

The pressure indication started to take longer than normal to display. It progressed to showing no pressure long enough to trigger the dash warning. Some days it worked normally, others not. My rear sensor displayed exactky the same symptoms shortly before the warranty expired. Dealer installed new TOMS and all ok. Planning tomorrow to install one I got online, it has the BMW part number on it and is a Schrader unit. Counting on the GS911 to be able to allow the bike to recognize it.

If the Schrader senor comes with the senor ID the GS911 will work but if not the senor will need to be woken up. You can find cheap tools that work for less then $20, it's a EL-50488 see this https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/gs-series/177842-tpms-rdc-wake-up-tool.html . I have a more expensive tool ATEQ V-31

Jay

Mission successful. Tried to wake up my internet sensor with my ultra cheap internet wake up tool, discovered that with no screen on the tool, I had no way to know if it woke up or obtain the 7 digit code even if it did. Took the sensor to a tire store and they were able to wake it up and give me the code. Used a GS 911 to manually enter the code into the bike, changed out the sensor and all is good now. Paid $27.00 for the sensor instead of $200+ from a dealer.

Mission successful. Tried to wake up my internet sensor with my ultra cheap internet wake up tool, discovered that with no screen on the tool, I had no way to know if it woke up or obtain the 7 digit code even if it did. Took the sensor to a tire store and they were able to wake it up and give me the code. Used a GS 911 to manually enter the code into the bike, changed out the sensor and all is good now. Paid $27.00 for the sensor instead of $200+ from a dealer.

I didn't need to enter the sensor ID into the GS911 it picked it up from the sensor once I had it awoken. My ATEQ-V31 does display the sensor ID but didn't need it. I was running the current version GS911 software on my 14R1200RT. I've seen the need to enter the ID manually into the GS911 on later RT, I don't know if this is because of the bike or software.

Jay

My GS 911 gave the option of learning a new sensor but I had no success with that method. It is possible that the sensor was not really woken up or maybe it just takes longer than the few minutes I gave it to find the new sensor. At any rate, simply entering the 7 digit code worked.

My rear sensor displayed exactky the same symptoms shortly before the warranty expired. Dealer installed new TOMS and all ok.

Interesting and good for you. My dealer determined by reading codes that mine began dysfunctioning secondary to RF interference. Their best guess was that the new tire carcasses were sufficient to make make sensor the batteries fail to deliver a signal thru the tire so led to the RF-i. Mine manifested as failure to display pressures, in particular the rear tire, for many miles whereas prior to the tire change they always lit up immediately after exceeding the requisite 6mph. This lasted for 3,300 mile during a trip we took in late June. After returning home I set up an appt for a week later to go in to have them troubleshot. The day before the appt I went out for my first shorter ride post end of our trip, and voila both F/R sensors acted normally. That was almost 2 months ago now and they have worked flawlessly since. I was hoping they were clearly dying sensors so I could get them replaced but nope not this time. It's quite possible when I replace tires again w/ full thickness rubber the issue will manifest again. My sense is sensor batteries are at least as related to miles of use as they are to time elapsed since manufacture. So I'll be needing to replace mine sometime probably in the next year I have to guess. My warranty expires in another 500m.

Both of mine showed the interference codes before replacement as well. Possibly as the batteries get older and weaker, at some point the signal gets too weak to get through the tires and everything else between the sensor and the receiver. FWIW my front one was acting up on a tire that was thoroughly worn out. It would be nice to get them under warranty as BMW wants upwards of $200 each plus install if you don’t do it yourself.

It would be nice to get them under warranty as BMW wants upwards of $200 each plus install if you don’t do it yourself.

I know I wish! My shop says since they are working normally now BMW will not authorize replacement of the sensors, even though I got the RF-i codes. I set up a troubleshooting visit along w/ valve check and plugs a week after returning home and did not expect TPMS to suddenly fix itself so that by the time I got to that shop appt all was well except the fault codes. Sucks! And I've had no warranty claims on this beast.

Interesting and good for you. My dealer determined by reading codes that mine began dysfunctioning secondary to RF interference. Their best guess was that the new tire carcasses were sufficient to make make sensor the batteries fail to deliver a signal thru the tire so led to the RF-i. Mine manifested as failure to display pressures, in particular the rear tire, for many miles whereas prior to the tire change they always lit up immediately after exceeding the requisite 6mph. This lasted for 3,300 mile during a trip we took in late June. After returning home I set up an appt for a week later to go in to have them troubleshot. The day before the appt I went out for my first shorter ride post end of our trip, and voila both F/R sensors acted normally. That was almost 2 months ago now and they have worked flawlessly since. I was hoping they were clearly dying sensors so I could get them replaced but nope not this time. It's quite possible when I replace tires again w/ full thickness rubber the issue will manifest again. My sense is sensor batteries are at least as related to miles of use as they are to time elapsed since manufacture. So I'll be needing to replace mine sometime probably in the next year I have to guess. My warranty expires in another 500m.

Idea is go buy another set of new RA3 and put them on and see if the issue returns, that way you can take advantage of warranty, if the issue returns from new tires on that is.

Just a thought, then you can put old tires back on.

Back