• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dealer service

bob_m

I recently bought a low mileage 2003 F650 Dakar. The price was low and it was rough. I got it home to discover it needed a new fuel pump. The local dealer put in a new pump among other general service tasks. It ran fine for a couple hundred miles, and it still runs fine, but it leaks fuel to such a degree that it leaves a puddle on top of the fuel pump. I was going to replace the fuel lines but noticed that some of the correct hose clamps require special clamps that require a special tool. I noticed also that the bike was returned to me with clamps different than the correct type

my opinion is that if the bike was previously owned by a hillbilly McGiver and I take it into be repaired that the dealership should have put it together using the parts that the engineers considered correct. I don't know if the clamps made a difference. The special clamp should have been on the pressure side of the pump, so it may have been the cause. I took it back to the shop anticipating that in making the repair and putting the bike back to spec (in that regard anyway) that some of the work, the labor anyway, would have been warranty work. it was not. This round of repairs included replaced fuel lines. The techs were just in there and had these parts out. If the fuel lines were suspect, I should have at least gotten a phone call to ask if I wanted to replace the lines. Didn't happen.

Am I just whining or should I have gotten (some of) the labor part of the bill covered as warranty for disappointing service?

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap motorcycle.

Last edited:
I'm just guessing here. I'm sure others will chime in.
Did you tell the dealer specifically what you wanted done? If you did, then that's what they did.
I might have told them look the bike over and tell me what it needs to be made right and an estimate.

On your last sentence......truer words were never spoken.

noticed that some of the correct hose clamps require special clamps that require a special tool. I noticed also that the bike was returned to me with clamps different than the correct type

It's ok to use a fuel injection clamp instead of the OEM Oetiker clamp.
Here's a fuel injection clamp.
211U%2BB5ItkL.jpg

I believe the clamps were hardware store screw type hose clamps

Last edited:
Closing the loop. I can't be sure it was the cheap hardware store clamp, I only recall it was not the tool cinched clamp. They replaced the hoses. I had other work being done, so the bill was not insignificant. I asked that they put some of the labor on warranty as they were just in there and had the parts out. they could have called if they suspected the hoses were sacked. They didn't, they didn't warranty any of the labor and I said I was disappointed but paid the bill.

On my airhead I had just finished changing the oil when an electrical problem surfaced. Completely unconnected but they occurred one right after another. I can't say that an unlikely coincidence also occurred with my Dakar. They are real nice at the local shop, I've known them for a long time and the service both times addressed the problems that I brought the bike in for. I'm chalking it up to "stuff that happens" and letting it go

Back