• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 1200 rt headlight

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
Quick question:
A few days ago my low beam headlight burned out.
Is it the same bulb as a 2010 RT? An H7, I think?
Also does anyone have any tips or tricks as to how to
change the bulb without busting knuckles or scraping
3 layers of skin?
Thanks for any replies.

There have been a few threads on this over the years. To summarize some of the comments, get an H7 bulb, sit in a chair in front of the bike, reach up behind the headlight, remove the cover, pull off the electrical socket, loosen the little wire bails, and pull the bulb out. Replacing it is the interesting part, especially getting the little wire bails to hook in the right places and making sure the bulb is seated correctly.

I have done the job twice, and found that getting the horn out of the way makes it a lot easier. Others don't think this is important.

I used my iPhone to take a photo of the bulb in the socket with the wire bails in place. I found that this makes it easier to visualize the job as you do it. The first time I replaced the bulb it took about 1/2 hour. The second time was 15 minutes. Patience is your friend.

If you do break the wire bail or retaining clip, BeemerBoneyard has a replacement for you. See it here: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r12h7bulbclip.html

Last edited:
H7. Very good. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

There have been a few threads on this over the years. To summarize some of the comments, get an H7 bulb, sit in a chair in front of the bike, reach up behind the headlight, remove the cover, pull off the electrical socket, loosen the little wire bails, and pull the bulb out. Replacing it is the interesting part, especially getting the little wire bails to hook in the right places and making sure the bulb is seated correctly.

I have done the job twice, and found that getting the horn out of the way makes it a lot easier. Others don't think this is important.

I used my iPhone to take a photo of the bulb in the socket with the wire bails in place. I found that this makes it easier to visualize the job as you do it. The first time I replaced the bulb it took about 1/2 hour. The second time was 15 minutes. Patience is your friend.

If you do break the wire bail or retaining clip, BeemerBoneyard has a replacement for you. See it here: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r12h7bulbclip.html

Also does anyone have any tips or tricks as to how to
change the bulb without busting knuckles or scraping
3 layers of skin?

As John G says be patient and understand how the retention clips work and it helps to see a photo of them. I've done two changes as well and I'm fairly sure the photo below is accurate as to where to apply finger pressure in the correct direction to move the clips correct to dislodge them from their holds. The first one comes out easily but the opposite side can be very stubborn. The first time took me probably 45min, the 2nd 12min or so, so it's very doable once you understand where to apply pressure and in what direction on the remaining clip. It helps to have smaller hands in fact I can get a few fingers from BOTH hands simultaneously which helps at times in the procedure. The 'inwards' in this text means towards the base plate, then laterally. I keep a golf glove in my tool kit which works great as it's very thin leather and offers good feel and protects the fingers and finger tips. I think if you're careful and understand how the clips work you won't be at risk to break one.

fullsizeoutput_1590.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks NCPBMW1953!

Thanks for the great photo! I'm sure I will be referring to this thread when my time comes.

Ride safe and have fun.

Thanks for the great photo!

Wow! That photo is a lot better than the one I made! That alone makes the whole thing easier. :thumb

PS - One important part: don't touch the glass of the bulb with your bare fingers. This will contribute to the early demise of the bulb. I use nitrile gloves to make sure that doesn't happen. Also, when I bought the bulb, the auto parts store gave me some "bulb grease" to use on the electrical connection. I used it, but don't know if its important. I seem to change the bulb once a year.

Success!

After a few days at work and finally getting the opportunity to get to the task, it took about 20 minutes to swap in the new H7 bulb. Having some experience with the similar set-up on a 2010 RT, I found it much easier to remove the horn first before getting to the bulb. It's still fidgety but with the horn out of the way,
a lot easier to feel my way around the connector, spring clip, bulb etc. A drop of blue Loctite should insure the horn stays where it's supposed to be. One thing I noticed that also helped ease the job was that the spring clip stayed up and out of the way while swapping the bulb. Very thankful for that.
Thanks everyone for the replies. It helped a lot. Now it's time to take the bike out for a ride!

Some take the headlight assembly out and then can do it with ease. What I'd love to see is someone doing this do a nice close up video of those clips to demonstrate exactly how they are released which would really be the most help of all for newcomers to the normally blind procedure.

Some take the headlight assembly out and then can do it with ease. What I'd love to see is someone doing this do a nice close up video of those clips to demonstrate exactly how they are released which would really be the most help of all for newcomers to the normally blind procedure.

I feel your pain. But BMW has used this type of clip mount since almost forever it seems. The wire on each side is in a hook shaped notch facing away from the center. The wire needs to be pressed forward toward the front of the bike, then away from the center of the bike. It will then unhook. It will then spring outward away from the center. The trick is to get both sides unhooked. Then pivot the clip(s) away from the bulb.

Note: On some setups the hooks face toward the center of the bike - not away from it. If so which way you move the wire is reversed.

No pain here I figured it out (it's in the text box by the photo) but for those not familiar it would be most helpful to see a video of it at point blank range from someone who went thru the hassle to remove the headlamp assembly...hint hint....

I replaced this bulb 1
at 17,k MI. and just again at 21k. No offload or bumpy riding. The dealer didn't comment as to if vibrations or something electrical. Comments/

No pain here I figured it out (it's in the text box by the photo) but for those not familiar it would be most helpful to see a video of it at point blank range from someone who went thru the hassle to remove the headlamp assembly...hint hint....

I could do that, if only I could remember to. Here’s hoping!

Back