• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

seat recomendations

roadcrave

PRAY BEFORE RIDING
I need help choosing the right seat for comfort, My wife complains about the 2016 K1600gt cutting off circulation ... need a comfortable alternative any ideas??

Russell Day Long

I had this problem on the front seat and got a RDL and no longer feel the bum and knee issues associated with the lack of Circulation. Made an immediate and noticeable difference. The cost is high and the comfort is worth every cent to me.
https://day-long.com/gallery/bmw/

Good luck in your quest,

Chris

Of course this is anecdotal, but I've now had two RDLs on two RTs. My experience is that the Russell folks are very particular and detailed in the initial fitting process, and equally precise on revisions if needed. I think the problem is the loss of original seat pan, and the amount of time it takes. They're down to about two weeks of downtime now, but it's not easy to deal with. That said, once you've got an RDL and it's broken in, you're in seat heaven.

I'm sure there are folks who have had equally good results from other post-OEM seat enhancers.

RDL on 2008 GSA

I had this problem on the front seat and got a RDL and no longer feel the bum and knee issues associated with the lack of Circulation. Made an immediate and noticeable difference. The cost is high and the comfort is worth every cent to me.
https://day-long.com/gallery/bmw/

Good luck in your quest,

Chris

Did you get an increase in seat height? I love the RDL on my RT and hesitate to gamble on another manufacturer,but I'm worried about standing on tip toes with the GSA. With the stock GSA seat in the low position and ESA on single rider I can put both feet flat on the ground but I get the sliding into the fuel tank feel. With the seat in high in front, low in back, I gain about 1/2 in seat height.

Kim
Phoenix

Did you get an increase in seat height? I love the RDL on my RT and hesitate to gamble on another manufacturer,but I'm worried about standing on tip toes with the GSA.

Kim,

Yes, I think it’s about 1.5 inches rise, I am tall and had only a minor adjustment period in the way I dropped my feet from the pegs to the ground. I also got the heavy duty suspension for those over 240 lbs for what that is worth. I hope you find a great seat that works for you!

Chris

Hi, i am about to order a dual day-long seat from Russel but i am struggling with two things:

1. How usefull is the riders backrest? I usually drive 2up and it seems more in the way than usefull?
2. I have a 2018 K1600GTL - Ebony and i doubt black leather is the right color but i also don't like the grey's does anyone have a picture of the ebony bike with a black leather seat? Maybe the taupe leather is better but it does not seem to be an option anymore.

Jorn - I have an R1200RT with the Ebony Metallic paint and a black leather RDL.

Here are a couple of photos:

IMG_0374.jpegIMG_0376.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got my RDL and am pleased. They have black that matches original color. Call them. Nice folks. The width seems to make it a longer reach to the ground. On my 15, I had a Sargent two piece. Good seat after break in. RDL more comfortable for me and pillion, but at more $$. In retrospect, I wished I had gotten the Russell first.

Oh, about the backrest: I did order the back rest. I think it is quite comfortable. It is also adjustable, folds flat for pillion mount and dismount, and is easily removable without tools. I got the sumbrella seat material, but the backrest is viny and doesn’t breath as well.

Thanks I changed my order, we included the backrest and the pocket. As color we settled on taupe I will post pictures when I get it. But it should look like this.
919dc045431f59ab15079f941434ffa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same position. My bike came with the tall seat, but the extra tall would have been better. The comfort issue I have is with my knees, which do not appreciate the angle they are forced into given my 6'05" height and 35" inseam. At least one part of the solution for me will be Mick-O-Pegs http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/page50.php. Beyond that, it will have to be a custom seat. Right now it's a toss-up between the venerable RDL and a Kontour http://kontourseat.com/. My old bike, a 2004 Honda VTX 1800 Neo-Retro, was not comfortable at all for me. I bought an Ultimate Big Boy 4 piece seat, and yet that still wasn't enough. I added an AirHawk pad on top of that, and I can go about 300 miles before the heat gets to be too much for my backside. Heat seems to be the biggest issue for me. I don't think it will be nearly the same concern on the GTL I just bought, as I'm not sitting almost on top of one of the cylinders like I was the VTX. But, knowing that history, the Kontour definitely has me interested. I'd love to hear from other owners who've had one.

Russell Day-Long seat

I need help choosing the right seat for comfort, My wife complains about the 2016 K1600gt cutting off circulation ... need a comfortable alternative any ideas??

I am hoping by the time you read this you have figured out which seat you will purchase.
I have to HIGHLY recommend the Russell Day-Long seat. If you enjoy touring, it will perhaps
be the best item for your BMW that you will ever purchase. The only drawback (if you want to
call it that), is that you must send in your seat, and the Russell seat is a rebuild of your current seat.
This means that you will be without a seat, unless you purchased a second, for 2-3 weeks. Once your seat arrives
you will forget all about that time. And amazingly well ergonomically fitted seat using your weight and body dimensions
to custom manufacture the seat in whichever color(s) you choose. They are an easy to work with group. Any questions
receive a rapid response. Best investment you will make toward riding comfort for your BMW

heated backside

I'm in the same position. My bike came with the tall seat, but the extra tall would have been better. The comfort issue I have is with my knees, which do not appreciate the angle they are forced into given my 6'05" height and 35" inseam. At least one part of the solution for me will be Mick-O-Pegs http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/page50.php. Beyond that, it will have to be a custom seat. Right now it's a toss-up between the venerable RDL and a Kontour http://kontourseat.com/. My old bike, a 2004 Honda VTX 1800 Neo-Retro, was not comfortable at all for me. I bought an Ultimate Big Boy 4 piece seat, and yet that still wasn't enough. I added an AirHawk pad on top of that, and I can go about 300 miles before the heat gets to be too much for my backside. Heat seems to be the biggest issue for me. I don't think it will be nearly the same concern on the GTL I just bought, as I'm not sitting almost on top of one of the cylinders like I was the VTX. But, knowing that history, the Kontour definitely has me interested. I'd love to hear from other owners who've had one.

I had the same problem with my seat being hot. I fixed it easily with my riding pants. Klim Dakar. Good venting in my pants made all the difference to my comfort.

Back