Thread: 1987 K75C 48k Caribic Blue Brake Housing Assembly Right question

PeteG

Smile 1987 K75C 48k Caribic Blue Brake Housing Assembly Right question

Hello,
    I'm in the process of replacing the cylinder with piston (master cylinder). The housing is pitted (pic attached). Can it be cleaned and salvaged? Looks like that silver washer shown needs to be removed and replaced. I'm thinking it isn't critical as it just functions as a housing for the plunger, but I certainly am no expert.

If replacement is needed can a mid-level-skill wrencher replace the housing only? Housing (10) 32 72 1 451 734 $73.26

Thanks for your help in advance. I shall now try and post an icon.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you don't mind the flaking paint, the housing is perfectly fine if you just clean it up. Didn't the new master cylinder come with a new washer and rubber seal?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

PeteG
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    If you don't mind the flaking paint, the housing is perfectly fine if you just clean it up. Didn't the new master cylinder come with a new washer and rubber seal?
    Thanks for the help Anton. My ride is a 65 mile per day commuter vehicle. Flaking paint does not bother me. You are correct, the new MC did come with a new washer and rubber seal. I did find the old rubber seal when I removed the washer (after my post). Surprisingly the old rubber seal looked to be in good shape after almost 30 years. It will be replaced in spite of its excellent service.

I appreciate the feedback.

Ride safe!

PeteG

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Update: The replacement went perfectly. It took me much longer than anticipated to install the new master cylinder. I didn't want to force it into position by using bolt draw down. So with practice using the old unit and additional clean up thanks to my Dremel extension tool I was able to get the new mc almost flush (1/16 in.).

There is one protruding part of the mc that fits into the housing that looks somewhat like a woodruff bit (pic shown). I was puzzled that there didn't seem to be a female counterpart recess, that could be felt, in the interior housing wall. Did I miss something?

Anyway, thanks for getting me on my way into this project Anton!

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images