• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1987 K75C 48k Caribic Blue Brake Housing Assembly Right question

pjar

PeteG
Hello,
I'm in the process of replacing the cylinder with piston (master cylinder). The housing is pitted (pic attached). Can it be cleaned and salvaged? Looks like that silver washer shown needs to be removed and replaced. I'm thinking it isn't critical as it just functions as a housing for the plunger, but I certainly am no expert.

If replacement is needed can a mid-level-skill wrencher replace the housing only? Housing (10) 32 72 1 451 734 $73.26

Thanks for your help in advance. I shall now try and post an icon.

Pete

Attachments

• Brake_housing.jpg
    Brake_housing.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 65
If you don't mind the flaking paint, the housing is perfectly fine if you just clean it up. Didn't the new master cylinder come with a new washer and rubber seal?

If you don't mind the flaking paint, the housing is perfectly fine if you just clean it up. Didn't the new master cylinder come with a new washer and rubber seal?

Thanks for the help Anton. My ride is a 65 mile per day commuter vehicle. Flaking paint does not bother me. You are correct, the new MC did come with a new washer and rubber seal. I did find the old rubber seal when I removed the washer (after my post). Surprisingly the old rubber seal looked to be in good shape after almost 30 years. It will be replaced in spite of its excellent service.

I appreciate the feedback.

Ride safe!:dance

Update: The replacement went perfectly. It took me much longer than anticipated to install the new master cylinder. I didn't want to force it into position by using bolt draw down. So with practice using the old unit and additional clean up thanks to my Dremel extension tool I was able to get the new mc almost flush (1/16 in.).

There is one protruding part of the mc that fits into the housing that looks somewhat like a woodruff bit (pic shown). I was puzzled that there didn't seem to be a female counterpart recess, that could be felt, in the interior housing wall. Did I miss something?

Anyway, thanks for getting me on my way into this project Anton!

Pete

Attachments

• K75C_mc.jpg
    K75C_mc.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 32
Back