• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R100RT fork spring replace

flaboy58

I want to remove and replace the stock fork springs. I discovered there is a special tool needed to remove the top of the fork tube. What is the tool and where can one get one?

Are you wondering about #2 in this diagram?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0469-USA-03-1994-2478-BMW-R_100_RT&diagId=31_0371

The nut should be 41mm and is typically thin so there's not much to grab on to. The "tool" to get this off is a 41mm socket, preferably a 6-sided one, with the leading edge milled down. The milling gets rid of the inside chamfer of the socket so it can have full engagement on the nut.

I am looking at #7 on the diagram. It is the spring retainer.
Thank you for all of the information.

spring retainer

Can anyone tell me what type and size tool is needed to remove the spring retainer from the fork tube on a 1994 BMW R100RT.

Thank you in advance.

I don't find a whole lot written about it in my Haynes. But from the diagrams that we've shown, it appears that nut #2 threads onto the top part of #7 and sandwiches the upper fork between the nut and the flanges of #7. There's an o-ring (#8) that probably fits into the bottom groove on #7. From the diagrams, it just appears that #7 lifts out, working against the fit of the o-ring. Probably on the underside of #7, it's hollowed out enough to accept the spring that fits inside. I guess that's why it's called a spring retainer.

Never been inside one of these later forks, but that's what it looks like from the diagrams.

I don't find a whole lot written about it in my Haynes. But from the diagrams that we've shown, it appears that nut #2 threads onto the top part of #7 and sandwiches the upper fork between the nut and the flanges of #7. There's an o-ring (#8) that probably fits into the bottom groove on #7. From the diagrams, it just appears that #7 lifts out, working against the fit of the o-ring. Probably on the underside of #7, it's hollowed out enough to accept the spring that fits inside. I guess that's why it's called a spring retainer.

Never been inside one of these later forks, but that's what it looks like from the diagrams.

Thank you for your help. I’ll give it a try tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Nope, it is more tedious than that. The enemy is part #6 - the snap ring. There is nothing to grip and compress it with like a normal snap ring with a couple of eyelets in it for a snap ring tool. Nope, with this one, you have to try to get a pick or a small screwdriver started behind it and force it out of the groove. Working against you is the spring pressure acting on part #7 spring retainer. The "solution" I found was to press down on #7 with a nut driver to free up the snap ring to be more easily pried out of its groove with your third hand.

Seriously, some help is beneficial. There was one airhead model that had a similar devilish snap ring holding the wrist pins in. I think it was the 1977 R100RS. Others had more typical snap rings as this should have.

Thanks, Lee. That's certainly an odd arrangement...almost like those notes on the back of some electronics "No serviceable items inside"...like BMW never intended for this to come apart. Hmmm...maybe Amazon has some "third hands" for sale? ;)

Thanks, Lee. That's certainly an odd arrangement...

It is. Oak used to talk about the infamous BMW "Verschlimbesserungs", or "improvements" that made things worse. This was one in my mind. The Brembo style forks from the twin shock era were of a reasonable design (though they did not function as well as the ATE style forks they replaced). But with the monos, they decided to take the Crazy Train. The mono Brembos retained the lower performance of the early Brembo design but made them frustrating to disassemble. Assembly is easy.

I usu. replace the internals with RaceTech Gold Valves to make them function acceptably. That would make a good add while someone had them apart for service. The Gold Valves work best in conjunction with RaceTech single rate springs (instead of progressives).

that pesky c clip at top of fork spring retainer

Hate this clip. Don't mind saying. Tho one "improvement" on pressing #7 retainer down to better access the clip. Yes, we can press it down easily enough, but definitely need both hands dedicated to clip. Get a hold of a ratcheting hold-down (Canoe roof hold-down works well) with large enough hook with no edges, just rounded enough at one end to not damage #7. Place hook into #7 then run the strap down & direct it along non-fragile areas to attach other hook. Ratchet it somewhat tight, then press #7 by hand to bottom out and ratchet to hold in that position. But I still think only bad things about that clip.

Welcome to the forum! And thanks for providing some insight on how to tackle this! :thumb

Back