• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT or K1600 GTL

cajunrph

Good read so far. I'm trying to decide on a K1600 GTL and a R1200RT. We just returned from a 4500+ mile trip. We took my Harley Road King with an aftermarket Sargent seat. My girlfriend wasn't happy with the seat. BMW had a demo truck at the event. Well my girlfriend sat on the pavilion seat of a K1600B Grand American and to this day she hasn't stopped talking about it. I test rode a R1200RT. It had what appeared to be an optional seat. It was brown with a checker board pattern. It wasn't as soft as the K1600 seat. She thought the K1600 was more comfortable. The RT didn't have a top box like the K bike did which is some of the comfort difference. She sat on an Indian and a Harley touring bikes that day and still perfered the K1600 passenger seat.

I had a K1600GT last year. I sold it in part due to the $1100 valve check that was going to be due soon. While I enjoyed the bike, it's capabilities far out strip street riding. It would get into it's power band at about 110. That's where the docile puppy turned into a rabid pack of wolves. I didn't get to this point many times. As such it was like I was under using the bikes engine. VS my Harley there wasn't much of a real world difference out on the street are sane speeds. Get to supralegal speeds and that's a different story. But that's not too conducive to keeping a good standing at the DMV. I have a R1150R and enjoy the lighter bike and the character of the boxer engine. The RT is a lighter bike and a more flickable bike.

In truth the 4500 mile trip will be a rarity. We're more likely to go some place local, within 50-100 miles or weekends upwards of 300 miles one way. So I don't really need a bike to burn up miles and miles of interstate pavement.

So my delima is that I've found a good deal on a R1200RT and a used k1600 GTL. The RT is new, K bike is used. There's also a plethora of new K Bikes out there. I have the BMW top box I bought with my old K1600. Anyone know if the seats are better on the K Bikes vs the RTs? I'm sure I can get an aftermarket seat and arm rest for the RT to make it just as comfortable. The RT is prices several thousand below a new GTL. And the used GTL is several thousand below the RT. I'm leaning towards the RT but would like to make it just as comfortable for the passenger as the K Bike. My girlfriend is just shy if 5'5" and of average weight. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like you need the RT with an RDL saddle for both of you and the top case for her back. She will be very comfortable and only missing the arm rests. You will have a bike that can satisfy you around town, out in the country and during long distance touring. We love ours but it is an older 07.

I think your old top box will fit the RT, it's the same style being offered for the RT now. The K1600GTL back pads and armrests can be ordered from the dealer.

Russell Day Long seats are probably the most comfortable you will find, but do raise the height a bit.

I think your old top box will fit the RT, it's the same style being offered for the RT now. The K1600GTL back pads and armrests can be ordered from the dealer.

Russell Day Long seats are probably the most comfortable you will find, but do raise the height a bit.
I'm 5'9 with a 32 inch inseam. I can just about flatfoot the K1600 and the RT. Odd thing was I flat-footed a 1200 GS with ease at the demo day. I'm not certain what accessories the demo bikes had on them.

Well I got the RT. It was too good a deal on top of being much lighter. Took her home today.
452b91770f731361bc8d0dc7507dd178.jpg

Congrats...you'll love the RT. If your girlfriend doesn't, maybe it's time for a new girlfriend...:)

RT or GTL

I have one just like yours been cross country four times on it.600 miles days easy.and your love the mileage.

Congrats...you'll love the RT. If your girlfriend doesn't, maybe it's time for a new girlfriend...:)
Good thing she doesn't follow this thread. Haha. She sat on the back yesterday and liked it. I'm thinking she'll like it more once I get the top case on it. I have to clean mine off.

Sounds to me like you need the RT with an RDL saddle for both of you and the top case for her back. She will be very comfortable and only missing the arm rests. You will have a bike that can satisfy you around town, out in the country and during long distance touring. We love ours but it is an older 07.

I agree. The Russell Day Long seat is money well spent. They make effort to have the seat fit you and your pillion if you're getting both.

Doug

$1100 valve check?

After looking at a picture of what has to come off to do that job, I kind of understand the cost. However since I am retired the cost of ownership would never allow me to consider one of those bikes. I wish I had just a little more room on my R1200RT and have a Sargent saddle on mine which is better than stock. Checking the valve clearance on the RT is a snap. If I ever need a shim change, I will take it to a dealer. You will be very happy with your RT.

I took her for a 250+ mile ride today. I definitely made the right choice. She has all the power one wound need. Passing cars like they were standing still. Gets to 90 in no time flat. And to me she is light as a feather. I couldn't be happier.

I have a top case for it from my old K1609 GT. But I don't have a key for it. I need to get it rekeyed. I took it to a local locksmith but they were unwilling to do it. I see where if you don't have the key you'd have to drill out the Lock. They weren't willing to do this. Any suggestions on how to do this. I can get another lock and key from one of the dealers online.

I have a top case for it from my old K1609 GT. But I don't have a key for it. I need to get it rekeyed.
If the box is in the unlocked position, there are videos on YouTube that show you how to rekey the lock. I did mine as shown in this video with a paper clip (took me about a minute).

If the box is in the unlocked position, there are videos on YouTube that show you how to rekey the lock. I did mine as shown in this video with a paper clip (took me about a minute).
Thanks for the video. That's just what I need.

Ive been doing the same tinking you just went thru. I got a 2008 RT that really is one fun travelier. it does everything well and some things like brakes, lights, speed, cold weather very well. and it is not terribly expensive like it seems the 1600GT series is. I just got 15K on a set of pilot 4 tires and it seems like the GTs are getting around 6 to 8K on a set of tires. its not a heavy wight machine like the GT , but at 68yrold the middle weight machines do a super fine job here in these east Tennessee mountains. so enjoy the RT

I just went through the same dilemma. I really love the K1600, but I realize the cost of ownership will be higher than the RT. I have been riding HD baggers for a few years so my wife loves the "queen" seat. I bought a 2018 RT and a top case. She is good with it, but she really wants arm rests of some sort. I have given up shopping for some and may have to drag out the MIG welder and fab something up. She really liked the tight seating of the HD bagger. With a rider's backrest and the stubby, wrap around arm rests she was pretty secure sitting there.

Is it just me, or do the K-bikes seem to depreciate much more quickly than boxers? I was interested in a K-bike based sidecar rig, but while shopping around saw many low mileage K-bikes at really low prices. It gave me pause.

R1200 vs K1600

There is an obvious solution to this dilemma. Get both. I have had a 2009 RT with a RDL seat and it has been a wonderful all day cruiser and it takes the curves great. With my recent retirement and a wife who would like to go on longer trips with me, she convinced me to get a larger bike. She also wanted a queen seat with arm rests so I HAD to get the K1600GTL. She probably thought I would sell the other bike but that didn’t happen. An RDL went on the K1600, also. With a 32 inch inseam I struggle to flat foot the K1600 but I love both bikes. The R gets 53 mpg, the K will get 48. Life is good :)

Glad you love the RT!

IMHO you never get burned on a boxer; It gets all the basics right. Also, at 67 I don't want to wrestle a 900 lb bike; good way to get hurt, that.

Back