• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tankbag for Keyless Ride

brookscooper

I have acquired a 2018 R1200 GS Adventure with keyless ride. I'd like to fit a tank bag which is outfitted for charging devices in the bag. The SW-Motech bag that says it will fit also says the electric power version is not compatible with keyless ride.

I can easily bring power to the bag. Is there any other reason it is listed as not compatible?

Are there other bags that fit this bike and can receive power to power devices in the bag?

Thanks!

I also use a SW bag on my RT and power it with an external cable from a Powerlet socket I installed as an extra, since the OEM socket can't handle any load without popping the Canbus circuit...

GIVI. No straps, easy on/easy off with the lock ring and a port to introduce charging cable. Pick your size.....

Whatever you get, if it's got the locking mechanism that you install on the tank, be easy on the torque of the longer screws that come with it. It will affect the opening and closing of the keyless gas cap. Just check that feature out at the house, rather than finding out the hard way at the gas station that you can't open your tank.

Here is mine on my GS.

tank+bag.JPG

This is the only bag you should buy, I love mine to death, when I wanna lay forward to stretch out my back your chest lays right down on it nicely.

How ever, take this as a service bulletin,,,, before you mount the bracket on the bottom of the tank bag where you drill 4 holes in bottom of tank bag, take bracket apart (5 small tork screws) put some grease where the sliders are inside the bracket, when you take it apart you will see 4 springs that help return the locks in to place after you pull the cable to release tank bag, it will help on release of clamps when you pull the cable in front to take off tank bag which you will do a lot, mine got stuck this last weekend and I almost broke cable trying to get it off to put gas in tank. :rocker

Same bag on my 2017 GSA. Because I have 2 inch ROX risers mounted I had to mount the bag as far to the rear as possible. This created a gap at the rear of the tank bag where the tank slopes steeply. I filled the gap with a pouch designed for under a bicycle seat. The pouch holds the rain cover and a few other small items.

AB76_C2_E1-96_A7-4169-_BF91-_F52_FE7_F912_EE.jpg

This is the only bag you should buy, I love mine to death, when I wanna lay forward to stretch out my back your chest lays right down on it nicely.

How ever, take this as a service bulletin,,,, before you mount the bracket on the bottom of the tank bag where you drill 4 holes in bottom of tank bag, take bracket apart (5 small tork screws) put some grease where the sliders are inside the bracket, when you take it apart you will see 4 springs that help return the locks in to place after you pull the cable to release tank bag, it will help on release of clamps when you pull the cable in front to take off tank bag which you will do a lot, mine got stuck this last weekend and I almost broke cable trying to get it off to put gas in tank. :rocker

+1 on the service bulletin. I took mine apart and, lightly!, greased up the innards of the mechanism to make it a smooth operator..

I also wanna pass on another service bulletin on the smaller version of this type of tank back SW Motech is when installed and you turn your handle bars all the way to the left backing up or pulling out of parking spot your horn will hit the tank bag.

BUT there is a fix to this, install handlebar risers and that fixes the issue.
By the way the handlebar risers by ilium works are one kick azz upgrade. :dance

I also wanna pass on another service bulletin on the smaller version of this type of tank back SW Motech is when installed and you turn your handle bars all the way to the left backing up or pulling out of parking spot your horn will hit the tank bag.

BUT there is a fix to this, install handlebar risers and that fixes the issue.
By the way the handlebar risers by ilium works are one kick azz upgrade. :dance

On the SW-Motech city bag, part of installation is placing it where you want it and drilling the holes in the base yourself. I have the bag on my bike and nothing touches when the handlebars are at full lock. (Pics included in my prior post).

Handlebar risers should not be necessary if the bag is positioned properly.

On the SW-Motech city bag, part of installation is placing it where you want it and drilling the holes in the base yourself. I have the bag on my bike and nothing touches when the handlebars are at full lock. (Pics included in my prior post).

Handlebar risers should not be necessary if the bag is positioned properly.

I agree depending on location but not for the type of bag I have, EVO Engage tank bag,, sense I like small low profile type bags the Evo Engage has sides that bow out that are smaller pockets that no matter where you put the bag where it don't look stupid after its installed will hit horn on stock handlebar setup.

I agree depending on location but not for the type of bag I have, EVO Engage tank bag,, sense I like small low profile type bags the Evo Engage has sides that bow out that are smaller pockets that no matter where you put the bag where it don't look stupid after its installed will hit horn on stock handlebar setup.

The City bag specs out at half an inch wider than the Engage, so that Engage must be a really weird shape to interfere with the horn button...

The City bag specs out at half an inch wider than the Engage, so that Engage must be a really weird shape to interfere with the horn button...

It is, the wings on the sides are not included in the size measurements I think.
I have my bag installed as far forward as I could, and I didn't want the bag to sit far back as to hit me in the chest.

Risers are a great addition to the bike and make long rides easier on the lower back.
Its all good now.

Wethead tank bag

I looked hard at both the Givi and sw motech. I went with the Givi and it's a great bag. I pop it on and off every day on the road, no probs. What I don't like is anything that is not water proof. Since I don't use the bike for "around town" but only for 5-10 day vacations, there isn't an option to take a pass because its a rainy day. Although both bags are not water proof, they do resist water, and the first time I spent a good part of the day in rain, the items in the bottom of the bag got damp. My solution was I went to a container store on advice of my buddy George, who has a GS and has been there and done that with everything, and found a plastic rectangular box about 3 inches high that just fit in the Givi. It works perfect. The other thing I did was visit a marine store in Ft. Lauderdale, where I keep the bike stored in the winter, and bought some waterproofing spray (intended for boat canvas) and I sprayed the bag repeatedly over a period of two different visits, and this past July on a run back from Nova Scotia to Asheville, NC (where I keep bike in summer) I ran into intermittent but occasionally heavy rain over 3 days from PA down through to NC and the contents were dry as a bone. The bag does come with a rain cover but its too much trouble for me to cover it and then access would be a pain. I need in there every stop.

Scotty

The day I picked up "Red"
paint1.jpg

After painting all the panels and nose piece/windshield bracket red too:
rightsideOPT.jpg

Back